ADVERTISEMENT

***INsider: Alex Faniel On VT Jr Day, Visits***

jason stamm

Hokie Hall of Fame
Staff
Aug 11, 2008
As always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Guys, I spoke just a few minutes ago with Glen Allen (Va.) three-star quarterback Alex Faniel. I'd called him last night and he just called me back before his school started at 9 am. Faniel visited VT Saturday for junior day.

Right off the bat, I'm gonna tell you that I believe Faniel is a huge Hokies lean after talking to him. Faniel has no trouble talking, which isn't a negative, but he likes to ramble a little bit. Before I even asked anything about VT, just asking about recent offers, he told me "I wouldn’t say I've narrowed it, but I do like a certain school, only because I went there last week." So I thought he would kinda beat around the bush a little, but then he just started talking about VT and his visit.

With that visit, Faniel said that was the fourth time he had been on campus. He told me that this visit was more for meeting the new staff. And it sounds like he really hit it off well with coach Justin Fuente and offensive coordinator Brad Cornelsen. He said he talked quite a bit with new (hadn't committed yet) Hokies commit Tyjuan Garbutt and really liked the atmosphere.

As far as with VT specifically, Faniel said he likes the vision Cornelsen has and the offense he runs. Faniel feels like he's in the mold of Paxton Lynch from Memphis and said he would be used the same way. Faniel said he's about 6'6" and 230 pounds right now.

Faniel still has more visits he wants to take, including one planned to NC State Feb. 27, so this one isn't a done deal yet. He also wants to visit Virginia and Temple at some point soon, though no visits are planned. Faniel said he'd like to make a decision this spring, so this would be a guy who would be a candidate to decide, say, at a spring game. This might be one of the best odds right now for the Hokies, so keep a close eye on him. But again, it's not over yet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.