ADVERTISEMENT

***INsider: Devon Hunter Update***

jason stamm

Hokie Hall of Fame
Staff
Aug 11, 2008
Full story coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Guys, I talked just a little while ago with Indian River (Va.) 2017 five-star safety Devon Hunter, who I also watched in person as he and the Braves defeated Grassfield (Va.) 34-3.

Hunter did inform me that he has a new offer, from South Carolina, where he visited over the weekend. That was his first visit there and he thought the atmosphere was "rowdy" and also talked to a lot of the coaches and players. For Hunter, it was also significant because it was the first college game he'd been to where the home team won. Hunter has also been to games at VT, NC State, Virginia and Maryland.

The visit to see the Hokies came on Sept. 7 for the Ohio State game, with his teammates, Jaquan Yulee and Tavante Beckett. They also visited for the July 26 camp and barbecue the day before, where Beckett committed. This was the first VT game Hunter had seen at Lane Stadium. "People already know how I feel about Virginia Tech," Hunter said. "They've been in my corner since I was young." Hunter said he loved the atmosphere and the experience overall.

It sounds like Hunter also has a great relationship with assistant coach Bryan Stinespring, who was also at the game on Friday. Hunter said they talk at least once a week and how Stinespring has been there for Hunter and his family.

This weekend, Hunter is going to Clemson with his mother, who apparently is a Clemson fan. He told me he's been looking forward to going for a long time. The only other visit Hunter has set up right now is to North Carolina Oct. 10. He also wants to visit Florida State and Alabama later this fall.

Early here still, but VT is in great position. It seemed to mean a lot to Hunter and his mom that Stinespring was at the game on Friday. But Clemson looks to be the biggest competitor right now, so we'll see how this weekend goes for him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.