ADVERTISEMENT

***INsider: Javonn Quillen Update***

jason stamm

Hokie Hall of Fame
Staff
Aug 11, 2008
Full story coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Guys, I spoke just a little while ago with Hampton (Va.) three-star athlete Javonn "Bubba" Quillen. I just wanted to get a gauge on where he is with the Hokies after the coaching change and if anything had changed.

Quillen said he received an in-home visit from assistant coach Torrian Gray yesterday. Quillen said Gray told him he still wants him to play as a defensive back, though coach Justin Fuente has talked about Quillen as a receiver and change of pace guy on offense. Quillen said it made a big difference that Gray and Bud Foster are staying on the defensive staff. Fuente called Quillen and his father a week ago tonight, to talk to Quillen and his father and say he wanted him to stay on board.

For now, Quillen said he's 100% committed, but he hesitated a bit when I asked. I asked if others had contacted him and he said Georgia Tech has been and continues to recruit him hard to be an option quarterback. Quillen said he has an all-star game next week to play in and is also running indoor track right now. He has a meet at VT on Jan. 23.

Quillen said he still wants to take an official visit sometime next month to VT. But he's also interested enough in GT that he wants to officially visit there as well. Fuente has also told Quillen that he will be giving him an in-home visit soon, but he's not sure when that will be.

For now, I'd say Quillen is about 90% on board with the Hokies, but there is some hesitancy. And he seems at least intrigued by the Yellow Jackets, who are the only ones under consideration besides VT. Might come down to signing day for sure with this one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.