ADVERTISEMENT

***INsider: Khalan Laborn***

jason stamm

Hokie Hall of Fame
Staff
Aug 11, 2008
Full story coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Guys, I spoke just a few minutes ago with Ocean Lakes (Va.) four-star RB Khalan Laborn, No./ 34 in the Rivals100. Laborn was on hand at VT yesterday, the first game at Lane Stadium he's been to. He made the trip with his mom and a handful of teammates.

Laborn is a kid to watch with the Hokies, regardless of who the next coach is. He's a kid who said earlier this fall that VT and Florida State were his top two. I asked Laborn earlier if that's still the case and he said it is, though he's still open to other schools as well. This after he just picked up recent offers from Notre Dame, Penn State and Duke.

Laborn told me that he loved the atmosphere around the game yesterday. He told me he thought it was cool how the players carried coach Frank Beamer off the field. Laborn also talked after the game with two of the players he knows best, freshman Jahque Alleyne, whom Laborn played with last season, and Bucky Hodges.

"Even if Beamer leaves, I would still got to Virginia Tech," Laborn told me. "I’m gonna commit to go to a school, not the coach. I would still consider it as a top school. I like it because when I go there, it feels like home and I’m wanted there."

When I asked Laborn what characteristics he wants the new coach to have, he told me that he just wants the new coach to be one who "doesn't always yell at you." Laborn hopes the family aspect is still there and he likes a spread offense with zone runs. The biggest factor seems to be that he knows so many people and players at VT, like Hodges and Alleyne. That seems to really resonate with him. So the Hokies' getting guys from the 757 recently could pay dividends for the next staff.

The only other visits Laborn took this fall were to Tennessee, for the Oklahoma game and to Florida State for the Miami game. I will say that the one to really keep an eye on here is UNC. Laborn's mom told me that their cousin is Marquise Williams. Of course, Williams is graduating after this season, but that's still one that Laborn will likely visit and one I can see making a run at him. But right now, great news that Laborn is as interested as he is when the next coach is up in the air for VT.

Reactions: GC1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.