ADVERTISEMENT

***INsider: Markell Johnson***

jason stamm

Hokie Hall of Fame
Staff
Aug 11, 2008
As always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Guys, I spoke earlier with East Tech (OH) four-star point guard Markell Johnson, No. 106 in the 2017 Rivals150. He's become more and more of a top target for VT in that class.

Johnson is now up to 10 offers, most recently from VT, VCU, Louisville and Cleveland State. They join Florida, Arizona State and others. Johnson said he wants an up-tempo team where he can play a lot of early minutes as a freshman.

The Hokies are squarely in the mix and have especially been since he visited Oct 24 for the football game against Duke. That was his first visit, but Johnson said he liked the feel of campus and everything he's seen and heard from an academic perspective. He also really has a strong feeling for assistant coach Isaac Chew, who's been recruiting him. Johnson said of Chew, "I look at him as someone who could change my life."

The only other schools Johnson visited this fall were Florida last weekend and Ohio State earlier in the fall. The Gators also made a strong impression and Johnson said he talked with every single person on the staff, including the video guys, which made an impression on him. He didn't do a ton besides hang out and watch a football game at Ohio State, but I get the feeling that if the Buckeyes offer, they'll be one of the front-runners.

Right now, it sounds like VT, Florida, Ohio State and Louisville are the schools in best with him. Rick Pitino has already been in to see him and he made a strong impression. Johnson will continue to blow up and get more offers but the Hokies getting him on campus this early and having a strong relationship will certainly help their case. Long way to go, though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.