ADVERTISEMENT

***INsider: Marlon Character Latest***

jason stamm

Hokie Hall of Fame
Staff
Aug 11, 2008
Guys, I spoke earlier with Grady (Ga,) four-star safety Marlon Character, No. 214 in the latest Rivals250. For months now, he's been one of the top targets for the Hokies at safety. But still, to this day, he hasn't visited. And the way it looks like right now, that might be too much to overcome.

For a while, Character has said that VT and South Carolina were his top two. But for whatever reason, Character hasn't been able to get a ride to Blacksburg. He said he still talks at least once a week with assistant coach Torrian Gray and loves Gray and defensive coordinator Bud Foster. He said "they seem like good coaches," but didn't think he would get to VT unless it was an official visit. By then, it might be too late.

Auburn and SC are clearly out in front right now, with the Tigers holding the clear edge here. He just visited a few weeks ago to Auburn and plans on going back July 30 for camp. Don't be surprised to see him commit then. Character said he loves how he'd fit in, it isn't far from home and he knows some of the players there. That seems to be another drawback with VT. He loves the coaches, but has no familiarity.

South Carolina is hanging on, but he hasn't visited since the Georgia game there last fall. He told me only the Auburn visit is planned right now and "I would never rush a commitment, but right now, I kinda feel it." So that's why I think it's coming soon and could happen at that camp.

The good news for the Hokies is that he said even though he might commit, he'll likely still take official visits. That would be to Auburn, SC and VT. And the one outlier he mentioned that could get a visit is Ohio State. But right now, it's a clear one, two, three with Auburn, SC and VT unless something changes.

Full story coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.