ADVERTISEMENT

***INsider: NBPA Top 100 Camp Day Two***

jason stamm

Hokie Hall of Fame
Staff
Aug 11, 2008
Guys, just back in the hotel after today's camp. Kelly was also on hand and will add more, but here's some tidbits from today:

*First off, one of the biggest parts of my day wasn't even at the NBPA camp. Each year, ScoutsFocus runs a camp simultaneous to the NBPA camp. And honestly, there's always one or two guys worth watching and usually not much else outside of that. The big guy as far as VT is concerned is Blue Ridge (Va.) 2017 forward Aamir Simms, who I saw in October at the Vantage Hoops Classic in Roanoke. Simms has filled out a lot more since then and picked up an offer from the Hokies Monday while on a visit. He told me he loved the visit and he was even texting this morning with the staff. Assistant coach Isaac Chew offered and the relationship there is strong. Simms also has a strong affinity for coach Buzz Williams. I only saw Simms play briefly, but he looked solid. He also didn't have a lot of competition. Simms now has four offers, from VT, Old Dominion, Hofstra and Richmond, but my VT staff sources have told me, "He's a priority" in the 2017 class. Definitely one to keep an eye on.

**I spoke to 2017 five-star guard Matt Coleman from Maury (Va.), who looks impressive every time he takes the floor. He does a great job running the show and directing. He can also get to the rim and isn't afraid to bang for a rebound with the bigger guys. VT is in contention, but honestly, I think if he decides to stay in state, he'll go to Virginia. His mom is a UVA alum and he said he didn't necessarily grow up a fan, but he's been around UVA a lot. VT has stayed in touch and he even visited for a game. But the game he was in Blacksburg for was the UVA game. North Carolina also had a great shot, but he seems to have backed off some with the uncertainty around the program. Old Dominion was first to offer, but UVA was second and that adds to it.

***VT also hanging around with 2017 four-star point guard Trae Young, from Oklahoma. He mentioned being open and liking Buzz Williams, but he didn't go into a ton of detail on the Hokies, other than seeing he's "been in contact." He and Michael Porter, No. 2 in the Rivals150, have discussed playing together and that's very much an option. Duke seems to be one that's caught his attention and he's visiting there coming up. Young also likes North Carolina, Kansas, UCLA and Arizona. So Hokies have tons of work to do and this one is already looking like a long shot.

****Cross Deshawn Corprew off the list for VT. The Hokies have been looking at him more as a backup option down the line, but he doesn't seem like he's waiting around much. Corprew has looked solid all week and will likely be in the next Rivals150 update, but he isn't mentioning VT much, if at all. He just visited Arkansas-Little Rock and said he's looking mostly at Cincinnati, Kansas State, Florida State and Texas.

I'll be back at the camp tomorrow morning before our chat, then heading off to Eric Kumah's announcement for full coverage.

As always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.