ADVERTISEMENT

***INsider: Patrick Jones On Official***

jason stamm

Hokie Hall of Fame
Staff
Aug 11, 2008
As always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Guys, I spoke earlier with Grassfield (Va.) two-star DE Patrick Jones, who took his official visit to VT this past weekend. That was his second Hokies game this fall, as he was also on hand for the Ohio State game.

Jones isn't a huge talker, so I had to ask about twice the amount of questions I normally would. He said he did like the atmosphere and liked meeting with academic advisors. Jones said he feels good about the situation in getting his academics done and the help he would get at VT.

Jones said he sat down and talked at length with defensive coordinator Bud Foster and assistant coaches Charley Wiles and Bryan Stinespring, his primary recruiter. Jones said they told him he'd fit well in the scheme and that they envision him playing a role similar to the one Dadi Nicolas plays. Jones said he likes the idea of being a weakside guy and how he could have an impact. The other thing Jones said he really noticed and liked was the family atmosphere and how comfortable he felt there.

The other news here is that he's down to five schools, counting VT. The others in the running are Pittsburgh, NC State, California and Duke. He doesn't have any officials set 100%, but said he will be doing so over the next couple of nights. It sounds like he will likely go to NC State this weekend for the Florida State game, Pitt next weekend for Notre Dame and the other two will be in November. Jones wants to decide by Thanksgiving.

Right now, it sounds like the Hokies are the clear leader. But he's very intrigued by California and that's the oddball obviously, of the group. So that sounds like the biggest contender right now. But VT is definitely the favorite.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.