ADVERTISEMENT

***INsider: RCS Charlotte***

jason stamm

Hokie Hall of Fame
Staff
Aug 11, 2008
Guys, we just finished up a short while ago with the Charlotte stop of the Rivals Camp Series presented by Under Armour. And while there weren't as many VT targets as in Richmond, there was still a lot to watch.

*First off, the talk of the camp was South Caldwell (NC) OL Landon Dickerson, who as we've been reporting for over a month now, is probably the top target on the board for VT in the 2016 class. He's been one of the top three OL targets for sure, along with Josh Ball and Thomas Jarrett Hopple, the latter who committed. Dickerson was by far the best OL on hand and received the OL MVP and an invite to the prestigious Rivals Five-Star Challenge presented by Under Armour, In June in Baltimore. Dickerson held his own all day, even against five-star DT Dexter Lawrence, which definitely pushed him over the top. Dickerson has unreal hands and feet and just has great build. If the Hokies can land him, he'll be the gem of this class.

**Dickerson told Mike Farrell that his top five are Virginia Tech, Tennessee, South Carolina, Alabama and Florida State, but that the Hokies and the Vols are his top two because of how hard they recruit him and how they treat him. He told me he loved his visit to VT yesterday for the scrimmage and that he now wants to decide possibly on Sept. 30, his birthday, if not before then. Dickerson hopes to see Tennessee, Alabama and Florida State next. Farrell told me that Dickerson might be the most impressive OL he's seen in the 2016 class and that's saying an awful lot. And right now, it looks like VT is the favorite here.

***I know Mallard Creek (NC) four-star DE Josh Brown visited VT last weekend, but I'm not sure how strong a chance the Hokies have right now. As soon as camp was over, Brown, who's been committed to Florida State, changed into Seminoles shirt and shorts and seemed to be pretty happy about his decision. He likes VT, but there's a good chance he stays put.

****For the second day in a row, four-star Lake Taylor (Va.) DB Wayne Davis participated in the Rivals Camp, after competing in Charlotte yesterday. Davis told me he rode to Richmond with his coach, drove back with him, got home around 6, slept for a few hours, got in the car around 2 and drove to Charlotte with his mom, Davis didn't look tired, but for the second day in a row, got beat more than not. He was also holding a lot, too. Looks very likely that Davis could get bumped down to three stars or just keep his four stars. As far as recruiting, VT is right there, but Ohio State, Georgia, Auburn and Wisconsin are all right there, too. I still think Davis has the build and ability to be a big time guy in college, but his rank could take a hit for now.

*****The other guy who was at his second camp is three-star Roswell (Ga.) LB Tyrone Hopper, who was also at the Atlanta camp a few weeks ago. But he was visiting family and asked to go again, so he did. Hopper sounds like Tennessee and VT are at the top, despite a new offer from Wisconsin. I do think the Vols have a slight edge here, but he has visited VT and says he'll visit again either for the spring game or later this summer. So I don't think Tennessee has much of a lead.

******I like RB Khalan Laborn, a 2017 kid from Ocean Lakes (Va.) a lot too. He had a great camp and won the RB MVP award. He and his 2017 teammate also in the Rivals100, ATH Eric Crosby, visited VT two weeks ago for the coaches clinic weekend. I saw Crosby yesterday, who was excited to return for the Hokies' spring game, but Laborn today was equally, if not more excited. Great looking kid who still has a long way to go, but VT in great shape early on.

*******I spoke with LB Jonathan Smith from Scotland County (NC), whose dad was teasing me about Smith being just two stars. That will change very quickly. Smith is a great looking LB, but one of those guys who doesn't do well in the camp setting. He's more of a run-stopper, so it's tough to get a gauge on his ability from camp. But I like how he looks. Smith had narrowed things down a bit, but over the past few weeks, has picked up a lot of interest, including a VT offer last week that caused him to re-look things. Smith said he visited VT Friday and was there yesterday for the scrimmage. He didn't mention VT much at first, but I think the Hokies have a shot here. This one will be tough to get, though, as he has a lot of interest. He'll be at Georgia Tech's spring game next weekend.

********One kid to really watch, TE Will Register, a 2017 kid from Chapin (SC). Great hands, great routes and has the makings of one of the top tight end targets for sure in the southeast, for the next class. He looks like he's just getting going.

*********I like four-star DE Nick Coe a lot. Very explosive kid with violent hands, who is a handful off the edge. He's also a state champion wrestler. But there's a reason why not many schools have offered like VT has. Grades aren't great, but he looks to be worth the chance. We'll see if he can get 'em up during his senior year.

**********A couple of guys who badly want VT offers, DB Simeon Gatling, WR Corey Sutton and LB Zach Welch. It's gonna be wait and see, though for all three. The guy who seems most likely of the three is Sutton, but VT wants to see what happens with the other WR targets on the board first.

TONS of video and photos coming as always! Glad to now be headed back home to the NRV, but a great weekend of watching football recruits.

Full story coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.[/B]

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.