ADVERTISEMENT

***INsider: Tyjuan Garbutt Latest***

jason stamm

Hokie Hall of Fame
Staff
Aug 11, 2008
Full story coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Guys, I spoke earlier with Riverbend (Va.) 2017 four-star DE Tyjuan Garbutt, No. 171 in the Rivals250. Garbutt is a kid I had heard of last season but who I first saw in June at VT's camp.

Garbutt said he's up to 14 offers, most recently from Kentucky, Wake Forest and East Carolina. The Hokies were the third to offer him, but he said the first to recruit him. Pittsburgh was first to offer earlier this year, then Virginia, then VT.

Garbutt visited for junior day back in February with his teammate, OL Zach Adams. Garbutt then visited again for the camp and was back for the Ohio State game last month. That was the first game he'd taken in at VT and Garbutt said he loved the experience. He also thought the game would have been different if Michael Brewer hadn't gotten hurt and also attributed that to the struggles this season. But Garbutt called the Hokies one of the teams he's always looked at.

Defensive coordinator Bud Foster has been the primary recruiter here, one of the few he's personally seen to recruiting. Garbutt said he was the first coach to show interest and start recruiting him. Foster told him that VT graduates its players and that he sees Garbutt having a bright future beyond college.

I asked Garbutt if there was anything, not necessarily a school, but anything in his recruitment that stood out. He said Pittsburgh and how he believes Pat Narduzzi has completely changed the program. Garbutt also mentioned Michigan State a few times. This weekend, Garbutt is going to Wake Forest for an unofficial visit. He was going to be at Pittsburgh last weekend, but because of the weather, his game got over late and he said he got home well after 2, so they didn't go.

Long way to go here, but I can also say I've met one of his coaches who is a huge VT guy. So Pittsburgh and UVA are also two to watch, but for the moment, the Hokies are in good shape.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.