ADVERTISEMENT

***INsider: VT Offense, OL Insight***

jason stamm

Hokie Hall of Fame
Staff
Aug 11, 2008
As always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Guys, I was on hand today at the Blacksburg Sports Club's weekly luncheon, with assistant coach Stacy Searels as the speaker. As I've done in previous weeks, I wanted to pass on what he shared:

*It sounds like it's about 80% that freshman Yosuah Nijman will get the start at left tackle Friday against NC State over junior Jonathan McLaughlin, who struggled mightily against Pittsburgh. Searels said about Nijman, "That joker's gonna be a good player in time. But I need that time to be now." Searels wouldn't confirm that Nijman would start, but based on what he said and how he said it, it seems very likely. He also said the OL will be based off of practice this week. "You guys will have to look to see who runs out first on Friday," Searels said.

**Searels talked plenty on the poor play against Pittsburgh. "I'm responsible for the offensive line," he said. "It's us as a unit who didn't work together. We had breakdowns in crucial situations with fundamentals and technique. It was a meltdown at times. It stunk. We have to trust our fundamentals and our technique."

Searels also later added, "We have to not let one bad play make other bad plays. That result, that was as poor an outing as I've ever experienced. I take full responsibility.

***The one guy Searels praised was senior Wade Hansen at right tackle. Searels said that was the best game he's seen Hansen play. But he also said that's the perfect example of the line being a unit and not one player.

****Searels was asked about senior quarterback Michael Brewer's return. Searels didn't say a lot, but did say he's been impressed by his quick return and how Brewer is getting better. "That kid has worked extremely hard to get back." Searels reiterated that Brewer will be a game-time decision Friday.

*****Searels said today, the line will be working on short yardage and goal line situations. He said the Hokies have "a tremendous plan. We wanna play fast and win. We have a standard that will be met as a team. We've gotta have the right effort, technique and mindset and if we do that, we'll be fine."

"You have a great tradition here and we will uphold that tradition."

******One of the questions Searels received was on his own health. He coached against Pittsburgh, but missed the trip to East Carolina due to sciatic nerve pain in his back. Searels said his back is better but that he still can't sit for very long. He said he's "lived on an air mattress" in his office the past three weeks. Searels said he's missed three days of work in his life: when each of his daughters were born and when he had to miss for ECU. But he also made a funny remark on his back: "It's amazing how when you snap on someone, the pain is gone."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.