ADVERTISEMENT

***INsider: Zack Gilbert Latest***

jason stamm

Hokie Hall of Fame
Staff
Aug 11, 2008
Guys, just wanted to share this, from our friend Chris Peak at PantherLair.com, our Pittsburgh site. South Mecklenberg (NC) three-star defensive end Zack Gilbert did NOT make it to VT for Beamer's BBQ as was planned and is still likely between the Hokies and Pittsburgh. Here's what Peak has, which I'll be following up on to see what else is going on with Gilbert:

"Defensive end target/Pitt legacy Zack Gilbert had previously scheduled a visit to Virginia Tech for two weeks ago. He didn't make that trip, so he pushed the visit to this past Friday. He also didn't make that trip, and now it looks like he won't be able to get to Blacksburg until the Hokies' much-anticipated 2015 season opener against Ohio State on Sept. 7.

Obviously VT is going to put on its best show that night, regardless of the game's outcome, so that's going to be an impressive atmosphere. But here's the other thing:

Gilbert's not set on his previously-announced commitment date of Sept. 11, and is planning to discuss with his family the possibility of committing earlier. That would probably mean committing at some point this month. But even if that happens, he would still like to see Blacksburg, probably with an official visit.

I guess the first reaction is, why commit before taking that visit to Blacksburg? And that's a good question, one I can't answer. But it sure does seem like Pitt will be in good shape to receive Gilbert's commitment if he does make it in the next month. He is also still looking to visit family in western Pa. this month, which would include a visit to Pitt."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.