ADVERTISEMENT

***INsider: Zack Gilbert On Official***

jason stamm

Hokie Hall of Fame
Staff
Aug 11, 2008
Full story coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Guys, I just got off the phone with South Mecklenburg (NC) three-star DE Zack Gilbert, who just got home about an hour ago from his official visit at VT. Accompanying him on the trip was his teammate and friend, Antonio Wallace. This was the first time Gilbert had ever been to VT.

Gilbert said the visit was different than what he imagined. He told me he loved the Hokie stone and that he loved the campus, especially how all the leaves are so maroon and orange right now. As far as the game, Gilbert said he loved the atmosphere and how into the game the fans were. He told me, "The fans and how everything was set up, it was great football, regardless of the record."

Gilbert said he also spent a lot of time talking with coach Frank Beamer, defensive coordinator Bud Foster and assistant coach Shane Beamer, his primary recruiter. Gilbert liked how family-oriented everything is and how the Hokies have had so many families play there. With Frank Beamer, Gilbert said "He’s a really great person to be around and talk to. He’s been in the game since 1975." Gilbert also said the coaches told him they would want him to play as a defensive end and also a fullback when needed on offense. He does that in high school already, anyway, especially around the goal line. And Gilbert likes how they envision him.

Besides VT, the three schools still in play are Pittsburgh, West Virginia and Kansas State. Gilbert has been very fond of the Panthers for some time and as I've mentioned on here before, he's a legacy there. He's also slated to visit there officially Nov. 7 for the Notre Dame game.

Gilbert hasn't set any other visits, but I'm not sure he's gonna take any others. He said he likely won't take any others after Pitt until his playoffs are over. But he also said he could decide by Thanksgiving. Gilbert is set to graduate in December and enroll in college in January. It sounds like the Hokies gained a little ground after this visit. But in all honesty, unless his Pitt visit goes badly, I think he's 60/40 in favor of Pitt over VT. So we'll know pretty well after that visit for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.