ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting read!

kent76

Signee
Dec 28, 2009
I was curious about how UNC went from being an average university whose overall gpa wasn't all that impressive in the early 1980's into becoming what we now hear as "Harvard of the South".

I did an internet search and found a topic called "Grade Inflation at UNC-Chapel Hill". It was a report to the Faculty Council from February 2, 2000.

With everything going on at UNC, this report seems to be a concern for giving students higher grades than they deserved thus inflating the overall gpa average at the university. I believe the average gpa was under 2.5 at one point before all the extra credits and curve scores were included.

It is a pretty good read!

You need to move this stuff to the academic page. They are even going to start paying these people to play in a few short months. Academics and college football and basketball are having less in common almost daily, and it's time we all realized that. It's regrettable, but that's just what it is. Academics is no longer a big deal, and you need bogus subjects to keep them eligible, at Carolina, and most everywhere else. There just aren't that many student-athletes anymore, at least not in the major sports. What you say it likely true, but nobody is listening, and surprisingly, I don't think many people even care anymore.

Your school is cheating to make athletes and students look smarter, which in turn gives the false impression your school is better than it really is academically, and you don't see that as a problem. I guess when they let people in at UNCheat with this level of intelligence they have no choice but to cheat....starting to make more sense with every Blue Clown post.....

Blue Bomber, this is not a shot at your school at all! It happens at all schools really.

I always wondered why my high school had such tough standards when compared to kids today. My high school did not offer a lot of extra credit work by in the 1970's and our grading scale was this:
A= 95-100
B= 88-94
C= 81-87
D= 75-80
F= 74- below

Now, as you can see, this standard hurt many of us from getting into more prestigious schools because a B- or C score looked horrible when compared to a student with an 80 average and a B or 3.0 which some schools used in comparison.

When I was young, I wanted to go to a better school but I was a B- student overall or 86 average. I joined the military because my guidance counselor suggested that college was not in my best interest at the time. I have a problem with that advise today because I felt that our counselor had a 1960's mindset about black people and rarely advocated college for us.

Anyway, I made the military a career and do not regret it now; however, it never dawned on me until I applied to enroll at a community college and they reviewed my grades. They told me that I had really good grades and I frowned at them! They explained to me how my 86 average would have been a high B in most schools at the time.

I went on to do a 2 plus 2 program and finished up at ODU in the late 1990's. I made Deans List 3 times at TCC and twice at ODU. The work was not easy for someone who hadn't stepped foot in a classroom setting in 20 years; nonetheless, I prepared for it by taking PACE courses, military math courses, and served as a military subject matter instructor, and command career counselor.

Finally, I do not put too much emphasis in test scores because most older students did better overall in my experience. Some of us gave great insight in classes such as history where we actually had been to some of these places and encountered the people, the culture, and the rich ancient history. No rant against UNC this time! lol

Originally posted by Hoos19NC:
Your school is cheating to make athletes and students look smarter, which in turn gives the false impression your school is better than it really is academically, and you don't see that as a problem. I guess when they let people in at UNCheat with this level of intelligence they have no choice but to cheat....starting to make more sense with every Blue Clown post.....
I strongly suspect that UNC has an art class that also doesn't require attendance or any other form of classwork.

Originally posted by kent76:
Blue Bomber, this is not a shot at your school at all! It happens at all schools really.

I always wondered why my high school had such tough standards when compared to kids today. My high school did not offer a lot of extra credit work by in the 1970's and our grading scale was this:
A= 95-100
B= 88-94
C= 81-87
D= 75-80
F= 74- below

Now, as you can see, this standard hurt many of us from getting into more prestigious schools because a B- or C score looked horrible when compared to a student with an 80 average and a B or 3.0 which some schools used in comparison.

When I was young, I wanted to go to a better school but I was a B- student overall or 86 average. I joined the military because my guidance counselor suggested that college was not in my best interest at the time. I have a problem with that advise today because I felt that our counselor had a 1960's mindset about black people and rarely advocated college for us.

Anyway, I made the military a career and do not regret it now; however, it never dawned on me until I applied to enroll at a community college and they reviewed my grades. They told me that I had really good grades and I frowned at them! They explained to me how my 86 average would have been a high B in most schools at the time.

I went on to do a 2 plus 2 program and finished up at ODU in the late 1990's. I made Deans List 3 times at TCC and twice at ODU. The work was not easy for someone who hadn't stepped foot in a classroom setting in 20 years; nonetheless, I prepared for it by taking PACE courses, military math courses, and served as a military subject matter instructor, and command career counselor.

Finally, I do not put too much emphasis in test scores because most older students did better overall in my experience. Some of us gave great insight in classes such as history where we actually had been to some of these places and encountered the people, the culture, and the rich ancient history. No rant against UNC this time! lol
I'm pretty sure Blue is a Tech fan. I disagree with nearly everything he said though. If UNC is cheating, inflating, rounding up or giving imaginary grades, student athletes or otherwise, it should be publicized and marketed to the masses.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT