ADVERTISEMENT

Jérod Evans On VT Commit

jason stamm

Hokie Hall of Fame
Staff
Aug 11, 2008
Full story coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Guys, I spoke just a little while ago with Trinity Valley CC (TX) QB Jerod Evans, who committed to VT on Saturday, while on his official visit. And I didn't realize until speaking with him that he had a hell of a week.

First off, he said that he chose the Hokies over Missouri, Central Florida and Nevada. He officially visited Nevada Dec. 4-6, went to UCF for an official Monday through Wednesday, went straight to Missouri for an official Wednesday through Friday, where he was joined by his younger brother, Caleb Evans, then flew straight from Missouri to VT with his brother for their officials.

Also, I asked about offers. He told me he had a lot of conditional offers, but not too many full offers. The UCF offer obviously stood, as I wasn't sure it did, because it came directly from Scott Frost, who also recruited him at Oregon. He said Texas, Georgia and Auburn all talked to him, but all gave him conditional offers, based on various things, such as Texas with their offensive coordinator situation. None of those were full offers.

With VT, Evans said he was hosted by wide receiver Isaiah Ford. They also hung out a lot with Cam Phillips and the official visitor he was hosting, JUCO WR Cedrick Wilson. Evans said seeing and talking with Ford and Phillips played a big role in his decision. But the biggest factor was that he liked the family aspect at VT and with the new staff. Evans was recruited directly by Justin Fuente, who offered him at Memphis. Evans said of Fuente, "He gets me."

Evans said he spoke briefly with quarterbacks Michael Brewer and Brenden Motley on his visit. And he was also told about the situation at QB with Motley and freshman Dwayne Lawson also returning. Evans said he welcomes competition, but believes that if he takes care of business he can be the starter next fall. He's already taken his finals and is waiting to graduate from JUCO this weekend. He'll be at VT next month to enroll and will participate in spring practice. He signs his letter of intent on Wednesday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.