ADVERTISEMENT

Let's face the music Hokie fans

BigDaddyHokie

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 24, 2007
A RS freshman QB, mostly new WRs, average RBs, a D that's good but thin on depth, this is a rebuilding year and too many of us got our hopes up.

Clemson and Miami showed us that we lost too much to compete with the elite this year.

We need another year or two recruiting to get there.

A 10-2 or 9-3 regular season would be beyond my expectations for this year.

VT is having another good year for sure.....for VT to get to the next level it’s going to take a big bump in recruiting. Getting a 5 star or two and a few 4 stars isn’t going to beat the big boys on a consistent basis. I know good coaching can take 3/4 star kids and win a lot of games but winning a NC is going to take more 4/5 star kids. Teams like Bama have great athletes just waiting to play, having this talent to step in with injuries is huge. The question is can JF recruit at the top level......

A RS freshman QB, mostly new WRs, average RBs, a D that's good but thin on depth, this is a rebuilding year and too many of us got our hopes up.

Clemson and Miami showed us that we lost too much to compete with the elite this year.

We need another year or two recruiting to get there.

A 10-2 or 9-3 regular season would be beyond my expectations for this year.
My prediction before the season started was 8-4 record. Expecting anything more than that would not have been realistic given the loses on offense. I think we can certainly win 8 game, and perhaps even win 9 games now. That is a good season.

I'm in for 10-2 with another chance for a win in a bowl game. I am optimistic and can't see two losses in a row (to Miami and GT) with Fluent coaching. Yes, we have some limitations and GT will be a challenge, but our toughest game left depends on who we bowl against.
As mentioned above, better recruiting would allow us to compete better against teams like Clemson, FS and Miami.

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
Realistically we have a shot at 9-3 assuming we lose one of the last three. No game is a gimmie anymore - even (gasp do I dare say it) UVA.

GA Tech beet us last year and I hope that is motivation enough to win this year. But honestly, I am not sold on the defense capability against the run especially as Ga Tech plays the run.

Realistically we have a shot at 9-3 assuming we lose one of the last three. No game is a gimmie anymore - even (gasp do I dare say it) UVA.

GA Tech beet us last year and I hope that is motivation enough to win this year. But honestly, I am not sold on the defense capability against the run especially as Ga Tech plays the run.

Ga Tech is going to score at least 28 points unless Bud pulls a rabbit out.of his ... Can our O score 29 points or more? Only if they have a better game plan than last week and can put together some sustained drives. Or at least pick up a few 3rd and short first downs. Paul Johnson is the most unlike-able coach in the league.
He looked like he swallowed a spider when they lost to UVa last week.

Ga Tech is going to score at least 28 points unless Bud pulls a rabbit out.of his ... Can our O score 29 points or more? Only if they have a better game plan than last week and can put together some sustained drives. Or at least pick up a few 3rd and short first downs. Paul Johnson is the most unlike-able coach in the league.
He looked like he swallowed a spider when they lost to UVa last week.
If we score 17 points or more in the first half, we win this game because that means GT is is being forced to get into a shootout with us and that is when they lose. Bud has always said that the best way to beat GT is for your offense to get hot and score quick points and for GT to try to play catch up with passing game & quicker drives, which always plays into the opponents hands.

Last edited:
This game is playing out exactly as I feared it would. We are being outplayed and outcoached. Early in the 2nd qtr and already it is game over.

Yep 3rd and 1 and time left and 2 passing plays is stoopid. Someone needs to explain this to me.

Offense is terrible. I believe we had 105 yards rushing by the Running Back Committee. We need to anoint one RB and give him the ball 20+ times a game. Very bad lost to one of the biggest scumbag teams in football.

Offense is terrible. I believe we had 105 yards rushing by the Running Back Committee. We need to anoint one RB and give him the ball 20+ times a game. Very bad lost to one of the biggest scumbag teams in football.
So did the Hoos....I would bet the Louisville football program is as dirty as the basketball program.

Let that “L” percolate a bit ole Hampton and enjoy the savory taste. And, be proud of your men. The Polytech boys fought hard. Always do.

Was Frank Beamer coaching last Saturday? Sure looked like it.

Disappointing loss to say the least. We can not compete against the more talented teams and now are losing against less talented teams (although I would say GT is only slightly less talented). Players played ok (not as hard as most games this year (IMO). VT got out coached.

When to go for 2-points is very, very simple. In the fourth quarter when 2 points will reduce your deficit to fewer scores (for example: after you score 6 you are down by 2, down by 10, down by 13 - you get it) or when 2 points give you an advantage (for example: you go up by 3, up by 7, up by 10, etc.). You do not go for 2 before the fourth quarter unless it is a blowout or your kicker can not kick. This is true for both NCAA and NFL. Coaches always think they are smarter than the game. They are not.
I would say to go for 2 at the very end of the game if you are a heavy underdog and the 2 would give you a win would also make sense..

Was Frank Beamer coaching last Saturday? Sure looked like it.

Disappointing loss to say the least. We can not compete against the more talented teams and now are losing against less talented teams (although I would say GT is only slightly less talented). Players played ok (not as hard as most games this year (IMO). VT got out coached.

When to go for 2-points is very, very simple. In the fourth quarter when 2 points will reduce your deficit to fewer scores (for example: after you score 6 you are down by 2, down by 10, down by 13 - you get it) or when 2 points give you an advantage (for example: you go up by 3, up by 7, up by 10, etc.). You do not go for 2 before the fourth quarter unless it is a blowout or your kicker can not kick. This is true for both NCAA and NFL. Coaches always think they are smarter than the game. They are not.
I would say to go for 2 at the very end of the game if you are a heavy underdog and the 2 would give you a win would also make sense..
How does Frank Beamer get into the discussion? You think he would throw on 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1? He liked to run the ball and out of the I formation. Beamer was 8-3 against GT and beat them 5 of his last 6 years. We flat out can't run the ball this year which shows up in the time of possession disparity against teams like GT. In the past two years they've averaged 34 minutes with the ball and out rushed us on average 285-113.

Can't argue with going for 2 with the score as it was. I do feel that if we can't rush 1 yard in two plays then we have bigger issues. Hell you can push your guy now so you should be able to get 1 yard.

Can't argue with going for 2 with the score as it was. I do feel that if we can't rush 1 yard in two plays then we have bigger issues. Hell you can push your guy now so you should be able to get 1 yard.
I posted earlier in the season you guys don’t have a go to RB and the O line isn’t good. Bad recipe against good teams. It hasn’t hurt as much as it could have, the ACC is down this year. I still believe you beat Pitt and Hoos to finish off a very good year.

I have maintained all season, "we need to get a go to running back". I have yet to understand why we do not have one. Find someone with a number between 1-49, and give him the ball.

I think that we have several major issues. Defense is becoming an issue and I do not know if it is because of complacency or lazy or what but it seems like our defensive players are not playing with intensity. This is lack of discipline has manifested itself in poor tackling technique, being out of position and assuming that "the other guy" got the ball carrier instead of rushing the ball.

Offense of late has started and ended with the offensive line which is mediocre at best. We have reasonable pass protection but very poor run blocking. Rarely if ever do we have holes open up to give our runners half a chance. It is really telling that with a game on the line and you have 2 plays to gain a yard that our coach would decide to pass the ball twice. Lack of trust in the O-line to push 1 yard tells the tale.

I have a theory.

George Welch's teams at UVA used to start winning early season games and loose later in the season. I felt he coached his kids up early and their good execution won some games, and later in the season other teams caught up with that phase and their better athletes made the difference.

I think that is happening to us, and, our schedule is tougher late in the season.

Reactions: Hoos19NC
Losing to Miami is no where as bad as losing to GT. Miami is a good team, GT is not. Heck GT lost to UVA.

I sure hope we don't lose to the wine and cheese crowd. I would not be able to show my face in public again.

I sure hope we don't lose to the wine and cheese crowd. I would not be able to show my face in public again.
After Miami beats the crap out of us I doubt we have any confidence left to beat VT......I wouldn’t be worried.

After Miami beats the crap out of us I doubt we have any confidence left to beat VT......I wouldn’t be worried.
Hoos, your team is hanging in there against Miami! That is a really good game. And, oh by the way, you guys win 31-13 next Friday to end the streak.

Last edited:
Hoos, your team is hanging in there against Miami! That is a really good game. And, oh by the way, you guys win 31-13 next Friday to end the streak.
Wow... bold prediction. I’ll believe it when I see it. Glad Hoos played them tough, was a little worried about getting smoked.

Wow... bold prediction. I’ll believe it when I see it. Glad Hoos played them tough, was a little worried about getting smoked.
UVA is a better team at this time than VT. I am confident UVA wins by 17 points. VT has a really lousy offense and overall, and is a so-so team being coached by an average coaching staff.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT