ADVERTISEMENT

Lets Go Hokies

Rough start. Fumble on 1st play. FG given up. Stopped on downs on next drive.

The D needs to hold here for the rest of the 1st qtr so we can get the wind at our backs. Throwing into the wind is creating havoc.

The secondary continues to be horrendous. This is still the worst VT secondary I've seen in the last 25 years.

2 more minutes and we'll get the wind. The offense will need to get busy given our numerous problems on defense.

I wondered if a Fuente era bowl team would look better than a Beamer era bowl team (which shouldn't be hard to do)...but it looks like the same 'ole shit to me.

The secondary continues to depress, and the offensive playcalling is having a massive WTF moment with all these runs up the middle for little gain.

I'm not seeing much energy and enthusiasm, either.

We'll probably decide to start playing in the 4th qtr like we usually do, but I think the damage is already done in this one. A couple of minutes into the 2nd qtr, I'm calling it.

I am with you. This is major a$$whipping that we probably needed to ground us to reality. This team has a long way to go to get to decent and the offensive play calling is really disappointing. Let's see if Ark staff decides to run up the score.

This might be the worst half of bowl football played in VT history...which is REALLY saying something given our long and notorious history of tanking bowl games.

I feel like I'm watching a Three Stooges episode or something.

The only thing worse than VT in this game is the officiating. Bad, bad, really bad.

If Arkansas were a better team, we'd be down a lot more than we are given the half we just played.

We can't wait to start playing in the 4th quarter this time, though. We need to come out after halftime with our hair on fire and get after it.

It does not matter now. This game is over. The only thing left is for Ark coaches to decide how many points they want on the scoreboard. The sad part of this game is that what little momentum we had on the recruiting front is gone

It does not matter now. This game is over. The only thing left is for Ark coaches to decide how many points they want on the scoreboard. The sad part of this game is that what little momentum we had on the recruiting front is gone
So far a really poor showing for sure....I think based on Arkansas's schedule everyone underestimated them including Vegas.

I'm thrilled to see a 3rd qtr appearance this time around instead of a 4th qtr appearance. I don't think we could've afforded to wait until the 4th qtr with that big of a hole to climb out of.

Now we'll all get to sit back and watch one of the very best 4th qtr teams in the country do their thing.

Geez, that was a tragically stupid series on offense. Only up by 4, 10:00 left in the game and you have all the momentum in the world...so you go conservative and try unsuccessfully to run clock?

Another one of those WTF offense moments. If Arkansas scores here, I might throw my remote at the stupidity.

Geez, that was a tragically stupid series on offense. Only up by 4, 10:00 left in the game and you have all the momentum in the world...so you go conservative and try unsuccessfully to run clock?

Another one of those WTF offense moments. If Arkansas scores here, I might throw my remote at the stupidity.
Luckily, Arkansas is so rattled on offense right now that I guess we can get away with just about anything at this point.

Well I think it's safe to say you were just a little off on your prediction. ;-)

Heck of a second half! Hats off to the coaches and players.

Next year, we need to work on showing up in the 1st half of games. When we play 4 qtrs, this is a top 10 team already, even with the cupboard not exactly being stocked. When we wait until the 4th qtr to get our act together, we can't even beat Syracuse.

Otherwise, I hope everyone returns, although I don't think Ford is likely to stay.

Thankfully, Arkansas is a horrible second half team, so that definitely helped the cause tonight. I posted at halftime that a really good team would've been up by a lot more than 24 given the way we played in the 1st half, and of course, both teams have been polar opposites in 2nd halves this season.

Heck of a second half! Hats off to the coaches and players.

Next year, we need to work on showing up in the 1st half of games. When we play 4 qtrs, this is a top 10 team already, even with the cupboard not exactly being stocked. When we wait until the 4th qtr to get our act together, we can't even beat Syracuse.

Otherwise, I hope everyone returns, although I don't think Ford is likely to stay.

Thankfully, Arkansas is a horrible second half team, so that definitely helped the cause tonight. I posted at halftime that a really good team would've been up by a lot more than 24 given the way we played in the 1st half, and of course, both teams have been polar opposites in 2nd halves this season.
That's why this was a good match up. I knew we would score points in the second half, but didn't think we would completely shut down their offense which is why I didn't think we could come back and WIN.

Some early pre-print game notes...

Arkansas had never scored 17 points in the 1st half of a bowl game before, much less 24.

Since 1970, Arkansas had won 50 straight games when leading by at least 24 points at halftime.

The 24 point halftime lead was the biggest Arkansas lead given up in a loss since at least 1952.

Some game thoughts...

I live in Charlotte, and the winds were terrible this afternoon as this cold front came through. It was 65 degrees at 2:00 today...but it's currently 39 degrees on its way into the 20s overnight. The thing is, though, my weather app also shows wind speeds, and while the temperature plummeted in the 2nd half, the winds also virtually died altogether. Queue the 2nd half passing attack. The winds played havoc early in the game, but VT's offense had no trouble getting going in the 2nd half.

My God the officiating. Bad. Really bad. Arkansas had some quizzical calls against them as well.

Player of the game for me was Shegog. Two big attitude hits in the 1st half when the rest of the defense was sleepwalking, then the strip and the INT in the 2nd half totally shifted momentum and lit a fire under the rest of the team. Honorable mentions to Mook and Jerod for a very strong 2nd halves.

The secondary has been my personal pet peeve for much of this year, but they manned up in the 2nd half and had excellent tight coverage. I don't know if the alignment changed or if the guys just decided they should probably cover someone one day, but the 2nd half was night and day different from what we saw earlier in the game, and what we saw for much of this season.

Our OC should continue to do a full game plan like he does every week...and then wad that bitch up and throw it in the trash. We have HORRIBLE play calling right out of the gate, and it's consistent. What amplifies how bad it is is that we tend to wait until the 2nd half to change the playcalling into stuff that works. STOP throwing away early possessions trying to establish the run up the gut. STOP doing deep routes if the oline can't give Evans time to set up in the pocket. STOP throwing quick slants to Hodges, who has the slowest reaction time of any receiver I've ever seen if the pass doesn't hit him right in the chest. STOP using slow-as-molasses white walk-on players on jet sweeps. This stuff is stupid and it doesn't work. We realize it every week and eventually quit doing it...but why do we wait until the 2nd halves to make these simple adjustments and quit killing drives by calling them?

More later, I'm sure.

Reactions: HokieNation
Wow, what happened tonight? Another flat start and on fire finish.

Bucky and Isiah should stay, but the NFL will let them know what they should do, the announcers have a bad habit of talking about a lot of these players in the bowl games about how much their potential is for the pro level and it's very annoying. They were even obsessed about whether Kaya would "announce" during the whole Miami game. What? He's nowhere near ready. I didn't think Bucky or Isiah did anything to help themselves, but this was Phillips's coming out party. Arkansas was NFL size but I they seemed to wilt in the second half.

Thanks,team, for a great year and a lot of fun. Looking onto next year,everyone can see the potential of another good year if we stay fairly healthy.

Maybe next year Coach Fuentes might play an intersquad half before the game to put us at their peak.

Afterwards on a local station, They said something like(weak memory here) the number of schools that had come back after being down 24 to win by that much was 1-103 or something. Wild

not the first time Ark has collapsed in the 2nd half and not the first time we decided to play in the 2nd, a combination for a great win for us. I think part of it is we are in better condition now than most teams, in the ACC championship Clemson didn't want anymore in the 4th quarter. We need to figure out how to play 4 quarters, and develop a running game. I'll take this W Go Hokies

...Our OC should continue to do a full game plan like he does every week...and then wad that bitch up and throw it in the trash. We have HORRIBLE play calling right out of the gate, and it's consistent. What amplifies how bad it is is that we tend to wait until the 2nd half to change the playcalling into stuff that works. STOP throwing away early possessions trying to establish the run up the gut. STOP doing deep routes if the oline can't give Evans time to set up in the pocket. STOP throwing quick slants to Hodges, who has the slowest reaction time of any receiver I've ever seen if the pass doesn't hit him right in the chest. STOP using slow-as-molasses white walk-on players on jet sweeps. This stuff is stupid and it doesn't work. We realize it every week and eventually quit doing it...but why do we wait until the 2nd halves to make these simple adjustments and quit killing drives by calling them?...

You are spot on. Excellent observations.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT