ADVERTISEMENT

***Location VT: South Carolina Update***

jason stamm

Hokie Hall of Fame
Staff
Aug 11, 2008
Guys, this is the fsecond of what will be a regular segment on VT recruiting. I'll be breaking down where VT stands in the states it recruits, plus DC and the northeast, since the Hokies are only up there sporadically.

As always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Most Recent Offers:
None

Top targets:
WR, Sam Denmark, Hanahan (SC), three stars, No. 12 in SC (VT COMMIT) -- Beamer
CB Troy Pride, Greer (SC), three stars, No. 13 in SC (VT COMMIT) -- Gray

Recent Rivals Stories On VT SC Targets:
OrTre Smith from HokieHaven.com, July 7: http://virginiatech.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1780812
Pride from BlueandGold.com, June 4: https://virginiatech.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1771893

Overview:
The Hokies did get their two commitments early, from Denmark and Pride, but other than that, it's been relatively quiet in the state. There's a few targets in 2017, especially, to watch but Virginia Tech hasn't really bitten.

Pride, though, continues to be one to monitor for a possible decommitment and subsequent flip elsewhere. For now, he remains on board with the Hokies, but he continues to shop himself around. Notre Dame offered early last month, though it's still not clear just how valid that offer is. He also visited Kentucky and Clemson last month, but no offers came. The offers that Pride seemed to be looking towards early on, Georgia, Georgia Tech and Clemson, haven't taken the bait. Remember, the day after committing to Virginia Tech in February, he visited Georgia for a visit, followed by Georgia Tech. Pride is also one of the few who didn't make it to the spring game for a visit, which was concerning. Expect for him to keep looking around, as the Hokies are aware, but unless he has a monster senior season, which could still happen, expect him to stay on board. But he'll make it interesting until the end if he does stay.

Denmark is solid as a rock. He did visit Virginia Tech for the spring game and seemed to really enjoy himself. Denmark made the trip with his mother and other members of his family. Since then, he's primarily been focused on track, where he was again a state champion. Denmark has also said he plans on graduating from high school in December and enrolling this January at VT.

The guy to really watch in the state is 2017 Wando (SC) four-star wide receiver OrTre Smith, No. 61 in the Rivals100, Smith doesn't have that many offers, nine to be exact. He camped with the Hokies two summers ago with a number of his teammates, so he has interest and some familiarity. Smith said assistant coach Zohn Burden has reached out, but there's been nothing serious so far. South Carolina has offered, but he seems very interested to look elsewhere.

The other 2017 player to watch is Lake Marion (SC) four-star safety Davondre Robinson, No. 36 in the Rivals100. We've seen assistant coach Torrian Gray be a bit particular about the type of player he likes and so far, he hasn't seen enough in Robinson to make an offer. But though both in-state powers have offered, Robinson has just eight total, so there's still time for VT to get in if it wants.

Rivals national team analysis:
"I just think it's just a wait and see approach, if Pride's not gonna come to camp. I just don't think Virginia Tech is recruiting that far ahead. That far out of state, they'll probably wait til they can see guys' junior film and then go from there before they hand out more offers. Guys seem to emerge later from that state anyway.

I haven't heard anything new on Pride, but I haven't heard him getting a bunch of new offers, either. He might take other visits, but it's not like he has a hundred new options, either. He's been committed for a while now and hasn't changed his mind yet. We'll see if he gets up to campus for a few visits, unofficially and then we'll maybe see what he might be doing.

We saw OrTre in person at the Charlotte camp and he was good enough to earn an invite to Baltimore, where he was impressive as well. I just think sometimes, it's a situation where people wanna see how fast he is. They wanna see him run, put him on the clock. I don't know how many schools he's gone to and done that. He'll have 25 offers when it's done, it's just a matter of whether they start coming now or after the year. I can't imagine he goes to a program known for producing talent every year, goes until this time next year and doesn't have like 25 offers or so."

-- Rivals.com southeast analyst Woody Wommack

Social Media:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News