ADVERTISEMENT

***Location VT: South Carolina***

jason stamm

Hokie Hall of Fame
Staff
Aug 11, 2008
Guys, this is the fsecond of what will be a regular segment on VT recruiting. I'll be breaking down where VT stands in the states it recruits, plus DC and the northeast, since the Hokies are only up there sporadically.

As always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Most Recent Offers:
None

Top targets:
WR, Sam Denmark, Hanahan (SC), three stars, No. 11 in SC (VT COMMIT) -- Beamer
CB Troy Pride, Greer (SC), three stars (VT COMMIT) -- Gray
OL Drew Wilson, Bamberg-Ehrhardt (SC), three stars -- Beamer, Searels

Recent Rivals Stories On VT SC Targets:
Troy Pride from TigerIllustrated.com, May 23: http://virginiatech.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1768640

Overview:
After getting two early commits from South Carolina in Pride and Denmark, the Hokies have been relatively quiet in the Palmetto state. But there's a little action going on.

Denmark was on hand at Virginia Tech's spring game April 25, but Pride was nowhere to be seen. Of the Hokies' eight commitments, Pride was the only one who didn't plan on being at their spring game. Three-star DB Myles Wolfolk didn't make it, but said the poor weather was the biggest factor. Pride, though, has been shopping around since he committed. A day after his commitment, he was at a junior day at Georgia and also soon saw Georgia Tech. Others have been interested as well, including Clemson, Notre Dame, Michigan State, NC State and Duke. Of the guys committed to VT right now, Pride could stay put, but he's the likeliest to go elsewhere.

Wilson has been rather quiet of late. He did visit the Hokies this spring, but didn't make it to the spring game as he'd planned. Right now, he's waiting around through the summer on more possible offers, but VT has been in to see him during the spring evaluation period, so the interest is there.

The player the Hokies should get in on is Wando (SC) 2017 four-star wide receiver OrTre Smith. He dominated at the Charlotte stop of the Rivals Camp Series presented by Under Armour, catching everything thrown near him and earning WR MVP. Smith only has nine offers right now, but that won't be the case for long. Smith should be a top 250 player who will command at least 20 offers, so for now, it's still relatively early.

Rivals national team analysis:
"I mean, as you go in and get two commits...I was actually looking at the state rankings the other day and Virginia Tech has just as much of a presence as South Carolina does right now. It remains to be seen how that will shake out. A lot of the players in South Carolina have been off the radar this spring, which is kind of disappointing.

I think VT is in a good spot with Pride and Denmark. I think they're in a better spot with Denmark. He seems more solid than the DB. Pride is gonna look around, he's gonna camp places and he's probably gonna run, test really well at schools that are hand-timing, because he's really fast. I'd put him in the 'maybe' pile because he likes to look around. But to have two commits from a state in the southeast, even South Carolina, they don't produce many players each year, but the guys they do produce see success. VT targeted two guys it likes, they got 'em and you can't complain about that."

-- Rivals.com southeast analyst Woody Wommack

Social Media:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News