ADVERTISEMENT

Motley would have won that game yesterday.

RB4

Freshman
Mar 7, 2004
I slept on it to cool down but I am still hot.. Everyone wanted Brewer back and they must have forgotten who Brewer is.. He missed WIDE open receivers all day.. Even if Motley would have missed them he could have ran for a few yards and got some production that way. Brewer is awful. I am also celebrating more that SL will no longer be in Blacksburg and Shane Beamer as well BYE BYE!!. That was ridiculous that we put the game in the refs hands that made bad calls all day (OBVIOUSLY NO CATCH BTW) Defense did everything they could but score touchdowns for the offense. I am not blaming the line this time either a few times he had plenty of time to throw. I actually think the line did outstanding yesterday. Receivers, RB, TE all did good. But you can not make up for a sandlot OC, and a god awful QB... Kills any chance to get anything going. I will be very happy to have a coach in here to put points on the board because we have all the pieces in place just need the system.

Reactions: hokiegobbler00
I slept on it to cool down but I am still hot.. Everyone wanted Brewer back and they must have forgotten who Brewer is.. He missed WIDE open receivers all day.. Even if Motley would have missed them he could have ran for a few yards and got some production that way. Brewer is awful. I am also celebrating more that SL will no longer be in Blacksburg and Shane Beamer as well BYE BYE!!. That was ridiculous that we put the game in the refs hands that made bad calls all day (OBVIOUSLY NO CATCH BTW) Defense did everything they could but score touchdowns for the offense. I am not blaming the line this time either a few times he had plenty of time to throw. I actually think the line did outstanding yesterday. Receivers, RB, TE all did good. But you can not make up for a sandlot OC, and a god awful QB... Kills any chance to get anything going. I will be very happy to have a coach in here to put points on the board because we have all the pieces in place just need the system.
Seriously? If Motley would have played, we would have won the game? The offensive line play was a "c" at best. How many sacks were there, 5 or 6. Brewer had two picks, but one was a great play by the db. And we lost a fumble. We lost the game for two reasons: 1) we had three turnovers, and 2) our vaunted defense gave up 240 rushing yards. UNC scored it's last two touchdowns in regulation on the same run up the middle without being touched either time. Regardless who the coach is next year, if Motley is the starting qb, we will have a losing season.

Brewer was awful but Motley wouldn't have been any better. As far as the sacks, Brewer was responsible for all but 1. The OL was great yesterday. Brewer needed to stand in the pocket and throw but he ran himself right into sacks. He didn't get the ball out fast enough so receivers that were open had the door closed on them. Basically he was a disaster. Lefty was just as awful. Nothing pissed me off more than when we went conservative in OT. We got back in the game by passing the ball then we run on 1st and 2nd in OT? I may be leaving Charlottesville in a bad mood on Saturday.

Reactions: HokieNation
Brewer was awful but Motley wouldn't have been any better. As far as the sacks, Brewer was responsible for all but 1. The OL was great yesterday. Brewer needed to stand in the pocket and throw but he ran himself right into sacks. He didn't get the ball out fast enough so receivers that were open had the door closed on them. Basically he was a disaster. Lefty was just as awful. Nothing pissed me off more than when we went conservative in OT. We got back in the game by passing the ball then we run on 1st and 2nd in OT? I may be leaving Charlottesville in a bad mood on Saturday.
Completely agree regarding the conservative play calling in OT. With the ball starting at the 25 yard line, a FG is almost a given, which is why you must play for a TD in OT.

Va Tech shouldn't had even been in the game. UNC did their best to give it to yall. Talent alone this should had been a 21 pt blowout. I don't understand why you're tough on your qb. He played very good. Your backup has no arm or accuracy. Smh you guys need to understand there is no Vick or Taylor on this roster. Those days are gone

Va Tech shouldn't had even been in the game. UNC did their best to give it to yall. Talent alone this should had been a 21 pt blowout. I don't understand why you're tough on your qb. He played very good. Your backup has no arm or accuracy. Smh you guys need to understand there is no Vick or Taylor on this roster. Those days are gone
Mr. Troll you do not know what you are talking about. Our b/u qb has one hell of an arm. He is also a very good runner. I don't know that he would have done any better than Brewer but he is not without talent. You also dismissed the qb on the bench named Lawson. you will hear more on him later.

Last edited:
Reactions: Salemite
Mr. Troll you do not know what you are talking about. Our b/u qb has one hell of an arm. He is also a very good runner. I don't know that he would have done any better than Brewer but he is not without talent. You also dismissed the qb on the bech named Lawson. you will hear more on him later.
well put

Smh you guys need to understand there is no Vick or Taylor on this roster. Those days are gone

Those days aren't gone, but for some reason we burned the guy's redshirt in order to let him run the wildcat for a few series and then sat him on the bench for the rest of the season.

Hopefully the next coach knows what he's doing and doesn't butcher personnel decisions like this. Either keep his shirt or give him a full year of experience so that he can hit the ground running as a sophomore. Of course, our clueless coaches accomplished neither. I hate every one of those dumb sons of bitches.

Lol I seen your qb against OSU, Pitt and ECU. Im not troll dumbass. Brewer is better than va local kid Motley. I wished Motley did play. You and you would had seen a massacre. Your team is average at best. Wouldn't be surprised if you lost to UVA. They did beat Duke, something yall couldn't do. As their record is ridiculously tough. Worry about winning before you throw stones living in a glass house

I think a lot of our mistakes were made in our game plan. It surprised me how we could match up with UNC with all this "blowout' talk before the game. As mentioned, we tried to run in the OT and we should have been in a pass/play action mode. Also, many fans thought we should have rolled the dice at the end of the game and gone for two, we had momentum and the Heels were not stopping us.

But somebody please tell me why we again took Travon out when we got into the Red Zone and then ran Rogers on sweeps? This made no sense to me at all. Was Travon hurt? That is totally inept game planning. UNC was on their heels and they were shocked at how hard this game was. Again, we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. Wait till UNC plays Clemson and I don't think NC State will be any rollover.

Ignorance is bliss. 30,22,23,25,24 are Virginia Techs recruiting rankings the last 5 years which is an average of...25th in America. Carolina's last 5 recruiting classes per rivals from 2011 through 2015.
16, 42, 44, 23, 28. Average for the last 5 years is 31st in America.

No what you speaketh before the emotion takes over. Don't assume. Data supports that your statement about NC and "talent alone" is wrong. From top to bottom, Virginia Tech is actually MORE talented on the field. Of course, on the sidelines with coaching, that's a different subject.

Agree with your premise except for one thing. We are way....way......way past the point of pointing out individual names on offense. As I told you years ago, Virginia Tech has an offensive culture problem. Whether its Motley or Brewer, the results would have been the same. When you have a tainted culture, the only fix is to completely redo that culture which starts with a 100% turnover on the offensive side of the ball. We did this for years....We blamed Newsome, we blamed O'Cain, we even blamed Kevin Rodgers for heaven's sake. We are now blaming Shane, then Lefty, and even Searles has had some comments. Dude......I wish him the best, but the problem is Frank Beamer. Period. He is/was responsible for the offensive culture tainting. You can bring in the best of the best at VT right now offensively and our offense would still be bad if Frank Beamer was the HC or Stiney was on staff. Here's what I think and contrary to the posters who say I can not stand Stiney. I actually like Stiney as a positions coach. This is the guy you want as a positions coach in that it is largely technique, experience driven, leadership driven, teaching ability to kids. This is where Stiney is excellent. The same applied to O'Cain with his years upon years of experience with technique, skillsets, teaching. I didn't say "chess" or "x's and o's and scheming" as positions coaches largely do not do this. The problem with a guy like Stiney staying on board is that he represents the old tainted culture. I would love to Shane and Searles to stay on board also. I like Lefty as a QB coach, not an OC, but a QB coach. All are actually pretty good. None of them are good as the "thinker" the "wizard" the "chessplayer on offense" or in summary, the offensive coordinator. They all need to go with the new change because they are still tainted by the VT offensive culture which has tainted the entire state of Virginia's High School Coaches. Not that none of them would not send a kid to VT on offense, but you know and I know, they have their worries. They have their doubts about our system. They don't trust our system. This can change instantly with a complete redo offensively.

Ignorance is bliss. 30,22,23,25,24 are Virginia Techs recruiting rankings the last 5 years which is an average of...25th in America. Carolina's last 5 recruiting classes per rivals from 2011 through 2015.
16, 42, 44, 23, 28. Average for the last 5 years is 31st in America.

No what you speaketh before the emotion takes over. Don't assume. Data supports that your statement about NC and "talent alone" is wrong. From top to bottom, Virginia Tech is actually MORE talented on the field. Of course, on the sidelines with coaching, that's a different subject.
The difference is that Carolina actually has linebackers playing linebacker, defensive ends playing defensive end, and TEs playing TE.

Our overall recruiting rankings look OK on paper (an illusion, BTW), but the problem starts when we line up during the first day of spring and realize we have entire units on the field with no one on the roster to play those positions.

I think a lot of our mistakes were made in our game plan. It surprised me how we could match up with UNC with all this "blowout' talk before the game. As mentioned, we tried to run in the OT and we should have been in a pass/play action mode. Also, many fans thought we should have rolled the dice at the end of the game and gone for two, we had momentum and the Heels were not stopping us.

But somebody please tell me why we again took Travon out when we got into the Red Zone and then ran Rogers on sweeps? This made no sense to me at all. Was Travon hurt? That is totally inept game planning. UNC was on their heels and they were shocked at how hard this game was. Again, we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. Wait till UNC plays Clemson and I don't think NC State will be any rollover.

I agree.
Time left in regulation. We got the ball. Brewer has found his rythm. We have the momentum. Score tied. Last home game. Worst case scenerio, the get a pick 6 which is highly unlikely....and what do we do? Take a knee.
In OT we go ultra conservative with 3 running plays. Its obvious Beamer is already thinking FG. So the gameplan is to hope their offense shoots itself in the foot once again or get into a kicking duel when our kicker has already missed one this game and the UNC kicker hasnt missed a FG since September?

This is the BS that drives me crazy! I dont care how much talent you have or who your OC is, when your headcoach has this mindset this is the gameplan that is set in place. I appreciate everything FB has done but damn Im gonna be glad when this ride is over!

I agree.
Time left in regulation. We got the ball. Brewer has found his rythm. We have the momentum. Score tied. Last home game. Worst case scenerio, the get a pick 6 which is highly unlikely....and what do we do? Take a knee.
In OT we go ultra conservative with 3 running plays. Its obvious Beamer is already thinking FG. So the gameplan is to hope their offense shoots itself in the foot once again or get into a kicking duel when our kicker has already missed one this game and the UNC kicker hasnt missed a FG since September?

This is the BS that drives me crazy! I dont care how much talent you have or who your OC is, when your headcoach has this mindset this is the gameplan that is set in place. I appreciate everything FB has done but damn Im gonna be glad when this ride is over!
I agree with your assessment of OT, but I was fine with taking a knee at the end of regulation. I could easily see Brewer holding on to the ball too long prior to getting sacked and fumbling. That, of course, would assure UNC of a chip-shot FG to win. Maybe the clock would have expired, but with our luck there would have been 1 second left on the clock.
While we got some help from UNC with their fumbles, the game was ultimately lost with the ridiculously conservative play calls in OT.

Just the same conservative approach. Playing not to lose? And again, why have we been taking McMillian out of the line up in the Red Zone and running Rogers on sweeps in the RZ? IMHO, there is absolutely no sense in that approach.

Just the same conservative approach. Playing not to lose? And again, why have we been taking McMillian out of the line up in the Red Zone and running Rogers on sweeps in the RZ? IMHO, there is absolutely no sense in that approach.

It's the lack of innovative approach. There's nothing wrong with a conservative offense. That's a good thing. Did you know that Baylor is 6th in the nation in run to pass ratio. Meaning...of all the teams in America, there are only 5 more teams ahead of Baylor that like to run it more.....or the ratio of runs to passes. Baylor's offense is anything but conservative. It's innovative. That's the difference. This is where the DISEASED offensive culture at VT has its strongest stranglehold and that is, lack of innovation.

Reactions: SunnyBeachWave
We have the best West Coast,Spread,Runfirst, Passfirst, Triple option, T formation, Play of the day, under simplified, offense in the east.

I heard that McMillian was banged up late in the game. I don't know why VT at least doesn't put Lawson in the game for deception since they're clearly not sharp enuff to take advantage of his exceptional athletic abilities.

I don't think Motley has a chance to start over Lawson next year, won't be close competition.

Just wanted to echo this post.. brewer is complete garbage.. Motley gives us a better chance he can at least move the chains.. and wont throw it no worse... All of you who think MB is the best chance we have at winning is crazy..

Just wanted to echo this post.. brewer is complete garbage.. Motley gives us a better chance he can at least move the chains.. and wont throw it no worse... All of you who think MB is the best chance we have at winning is crazy..
Couldn't have won without Brewer's passing in the fourth quarter. I is crazy, but even with Brewer struggling, Motley never crossed Beamer's mind. Oh, and mark it down, if Brewer stays healthy, Motley won't sniff the playing field in the bowl game.

Couldn't have won without Brewer's passing in the fourth quarter. I is crazy, but even with Brewer struggling, Motley never crossed Beamer's mind. Oh, and mark it down, if Brewer stays healthy, Motley won't sniff the playing field in the bowl game.
Good

No way we win with Motley at QB. Brewer had time to throw in the second half. He is very good when he has time to throw as long as it isn't a long pass. He was banged up bad and went into the game subpar. I give him credit for what he did to win the game. I respect Motley but no way he wins this one.
Maybe a change in pass blocking set up would have helped just a little in the first half,do you think?

Last edited:
Reactions: B1dee
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT