ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Tourney so far...

hokiezz

Walk-On
Nov 4, 2015
South Boston
ACC looks pretty bad and did not live up to getting 9 teams in. Some bad blow out losses as a conference. Arkansas nearly put out UNC the last ACC team left and they were an 8 seed from a supposedly weak SEC, who only got 5 in but 3 are in sweet 16. SEC has looked more physical in every matchup against ACC. What happened to ACC as a conference when last year had a really good showing in tourney?

ACC was the best conference in depth, but there were not a lot of top 5 or even top 10 teams. Only UNC was top 5. Even Duke never really got it together this year (except for the ACC tournament). I think one of the problems is that no one in the ACC had a good pressure defense that many of the teams in the tournament (WVA, Arkansas for example) have used with success. Also, the match ups and seeds were not good for the ACC teams. Duke played USC in SC, VT played Wisconsin (a much bigger team and much better team than an 8 seed), Louisville played a very hot Michigan team and FSU was over seeded and just wasn't the same team at the end of the season than at the start of the season. UVA and ND although ranked were not very dominate teams and lost bad to equal seeds (but better teams). Also, most ACC teams did not have a dominate individual player. A must to win the NCAA. Nothing wrong with the conference, just one of those years in the NCAA.

The tournament has not been that exciting this year. So far no OT or buzzer beater games. No real excitement or major upsets (Wisconsin over Nova was not a major upset).

ACC was the best conference in depth, but there were not a lot of top 5 or even top 10 teams. Only UNC was top 5. Even Duke never really got it together this year (except for the ACC tournament). I think one of the problems is that no one in the ACC had a good pressure defense that many of the teams in the tournament (WVA, Arkansas for example) have used with success. Also, the match ups and seeds were not good for the ACC teams. Duke played USC in SC, VT played Wisconsin (a much bigger team and much better team than an 8 seed), Louisville played a very hot Michigan team and FSU was over seeded and just wasn't the same team at the end of the season than at the start of the season. UVA and ND although ranked were not very dominate teams and lost bad to equal seeds (but better teams). Also, most ACC teams did not have a dominate individual player. A must to win the NCAA. Nothing wrong with the conference, just one of those years in the NCAA.

The tournament has not been that exciting this year. So far no OT or buzzer beater games. No real excitement or major upsets (Wisconsin over Nova was not a major upset).
Let me sum it up: "OVERRATED"

Long way still to go. But ACC could be home to champion in football and basketball. Maybe even baseball and softball.

Long way still to go. But ACC could be home to champion in football and basketball. Maybe even baseball and softball.

Yeah, but that's window dressing at this point as far as basketball is concerned. UNC winning would legitimate UNC, but the rest of the conference still fell on its face and that would hardly go all the way in salvaging our image.

I think a few things worked against the ACC this year. One of the things is that the ACC schedule was so consistantly tough this year that a lot of teams were just worn out at the end of the year. UVA just looked tired the last few games. We had one too many injuries to go far and probably had one of the worst first round seeds in the tourney. I'd like to see us play Wisconsin with Clark healthy. With Outlaw, we get offense but there's a huge drop off on D. Clark could have probably helped with Koenig and Hayes. Without him we had no one. Koenig had 17 attemps at 3s, I repeat 17, that was a big mistake on our part letting him have that many attempts.

Duke had to go and play South Carolina in what was basically a home game with a completely out of their mind crowd. FSU looked like to me that no one was happy with their playing time and Leonard Hamilton never settled on a tight rotation.

That being said, the ACC is used to a finesse game. These games have been anything but finesse. The refs are letting the players play and, for the most part they are twice as physical as ACC games. Big bodies and strength are more important. We need to get players in the weight room more and the ACC needs to adjust it's calls.

I wish both Kentucky and UNCheat could both lose......one is the highest paid team and the other never attends classes. It's like watching 10 guys play at the playground...no offensive plays run and neither can even spell defense in this game.

Holy crap, these two teams have some of the worst decision-making I've ever seen. So many boneheaded plays at crucial junctures of the game. Cal and Roy coach like this is a pick-up game at the Y or the park.

Reactions: Hoos19NC
Holy crap, these two teams have some of the worst decision-making I've ever seen. So many boneheaded plays at crucial junctures of the game. Cal and Roy coach like this is a pick-up game at the Y or the park.
My feelings exactly.

This was not a Kentucky championship team. Im surprised they made it past UCLA. They had all the key components except a dominant big man. It was telling when they struggled with Wichita States big man.
Finesse guard play is fine but you have to have a few big bodies down low to go with it.

This was not a Kentucky championship team. Im surprised they made it past UCLA. They had all the key components except a dominant big man. It was telling when they struggled with Wichita States big man.
Finesse guard play is fine but you have to have a few big bodies down low to go with it.
...and we're familiar with that.

Yeah, you also generally need players who stay more than a year and a great game day coach (which Cal is not).

...and we're familiar with that.

What we're not familiar with, though, is having two guards who will likely go in the top 10 of the NBA draft as freshmen. Even with Kentucky's shortcomings at big men, Adebayo wasn't that far off from averaging a double-double this season, and should he choose to go pro he likely still sneaks into the first round. It's not like Kentucky has some huge talent drought, they're just getting what they paid for in Cal. Eventually they'll have enough talent again to overcome Cal's coaching and early departures.

Yeah, you also generally need players who stay more than a year and a great game day coach (which Cal is not).

Yeah, because a National Championship and four Final Four appearances over a 8 year span isnt getting it done. Im sure UK would be much better off scrapping Cal and the one and doners in favor of a good "game day" coach and a roster full of 4 year players.

Yeah, because a National Championship and four Final Four appearances over a 8 year span isnt getting it done. Im sure UK would be much better off scrapping Cal and the one and doners in favor of a good "game day" coach and a roster full of 4 year players.
I doubt you get many on here that agree with Cal's ways......he's nothing but slime in my book. Only time I will ever pull for the UNCheats is against Cal and his hired guns at Kentucky.

I doubt you get many on here that agree with Cal's ways......he's nothing but slime in my book. Only time I will ever pull for the UNCheats is against Cal and his hired guns at Kentucky.

Your opinion might have more merit if you wasnt a Bama/ Saban fan. Pot calling the kettle and such.

Elite programs like UK in basketball and Bama in football have lofty expectations. Their spoiled fanbases arent going to quietly sit by and wait for a good game day coach to make a run at a title every 3-5 years IF he can keep his 4year players from being the victim of attrition. They want to be in the hunt for a title every single year and Cal (like him or not) has proven that he can win and win big with one-and -done type players. Thats not saying it cant be done any other way just that at some programs its the only way acceptable.

Your opinion might have more merit if you wasnt a Bama/ Saban fan. Pot calling the kettle and such.

Elite programs like UK in basketball and Bama in football have lofty expectations. Their spoiled fanbases arent going to quietly sit by and wait for a good game day coach to make a run at a title every 3-5 years IF he can keep his 4year players from being the victim of attrition. They want to be in the hunt for a title every single year and Cal (like him or not) has proven that he can win and win big with one-and -done type players. Thats not saying it cant be done any other way just that at some programs its the only way acceptable.
LMAO......my post must have merit.....I hate Bama, that would be HR....you know the Bama, VT football fan.....the Duke basketball fan.....the Hoos baseball fan.....I can see the confusion it's hard to keep up with.

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6

Didn't even Tubby Smith win a National Championship at Kentucky, though? Don't get all butt-hurt, dude. Cal's put 30+ players into the NBA at Kentucky, and it's produced one National Championship. Three of those 30 players, BTW, (Boogie, Davis and Wall), are probably future Hall of Famers. Towns is also insanely good. All I'm saying is Cal-coached teams are typically extraordinarily talented and limited in experience.

When you couple the aforementioned factors with a coach who is not great on game day, you're basically playing the lottery. You're getting what you paid for. Some years it pays off, when he can simply get out of the way and let the talent do its thing, but game day coaching has never been his strong suit and never will be. But Kentucky's a perfect fit for him, because he doesn't have to change anything he was doing at Memphis or UMass and he gets much better talent now.

Last edited:
They want to be in the hunt for a title every single year and Cal (like him or not) has proven that he can win and win big with one-and -done type players. Thats not saying it cant be done any other way just that at some programs its the only way acceptable.

Yup, exactly. So being a Kentucky fan does not automatically confer greater basketball knowledge on a person. A Kentucky fan's knowledge is less well-rounded because there's no balance. Bad years for you are Tubby Smith years in which you never miss a single NCAA tournament. Try being a Northwestern basketball fan, or a VT basketball fan exclusively.

Last edited:
Yup, exactly. So being a Kentucky fan does not automatically confer greater basketball knowledge on a person. A Kentucky fan's knowledge is less well-rounded because there's no balance. Bad years for you are Tubby Smith years in which you never miss a single NCAA tournament. Try being a Northwestern basketball fan, or a VT basketball fan exclusively.

It doesnt automatically confer greater basketball knowledge but I think a college basketball discussion with the average UK fan will be more robust and informative than one from a fanbase who merely follows basketball while they await football Spring practice.
And Tubby Smith won a title at UK his first season, with Pitinos players which included NBA players Nazr Mohammed, Michael Bradley, Scott Padgett, Jamaal Magloire, Wayne Turner and Jeff Sheppard. So while the team might not have had a first team AA or lotto pick, it wasnt short on talent either and It sure as hell wasnt Tubbys great "game day" coaching exclusively that got them there.

It doesnt automatically confer greater basketball knowledge but I think a college basketball discussion with the average UK fan will be more robust and informative than one from a fanbase who merely follows basketball while they await football Spring practice.
And Tubby Smith won a title at UK his first season, with Pitinos players which included NBA players Nazr Mohammed, Michael Bradley, Scott Padgett, Jamaal Magloire, Wayne Turner and Jeff Sheppard. So while the team might not have had a first team AA or lotto pick, it wasnt short on talent either and It sure as hell wasnt Tubbys great "game day" coaching exclusively that got them there.

A basketball conversation about Kentucky basketball and lore will be more robust, possibly, but not discussion in the general sense. Expertise does not logically proceed from becoming attached to a successful team's fan base and, if anything, the entitlement that comes with it creates a kind of tunnel vision, or a fanaticism that muddles analysis and expectation. I think some of the best analyses of Tech football, for instance, have come during Beamer's last years.

Also, that's precisely my point about Tubby Smith. Dude's a solidly above-average coach, but not the kind to lead or build an elite program. The fact that someone like Tubby Smith could win a title with a talent stockpile is not an indictment on Cal, but I have to wonder how long it will take before the UK base starts feeling restless.

I have a hard time believing that the fan of perennial powerhouse in any sport would know less about the sport in which they live and breathe than the fan of a cellar dweller program that struggles to get to .500. Losing doesnt make a fan wiser and If you look at those perennial powerhouses, most know what its like to have bad seasons (even UK went to the NIT a few years ago). Omit UK from the discussion and I would still expect the average Kansas, Duke or UNC basketball fan to know more about college basketball than a Clemson, Bama or even VT fan. Not a "dig" at any of those programs, its just that the vast majority of their fans prefer football. Look at Florida for example. When they were in the middle of their consecutive titles in basketball, they still struggled to sale out their stadium and there were more fans at their spring football than went to the Final Four to support the basketball team. If losing made a fan base wiser and more rounded, UK football fans would be the gridiron gurus of the SEC.

I have a hard time believing that the fan of perennial powerhouse in any sport would know less about the sport in which they live and breathe than the fan of a cellar dweller program that struggles to get to .500. Losing doesnt make a fan wiser and If you look at those perennial powerhouses, most know what its like to have bad seasons (even UK went to the NIT a few years ago). Omit UK from the discussion and I would still expect the average Kansas, Duke or UNC basketball fan to know more about college basketball than a Clemson, Bama or even VT fan. Not a "dig" at any of those programs, its just that the vast majority of their fans prefer football. Look at Florida for example. When they were in the middle of their consecutive titles in basketball, they still struggled to sale out their stadium and there were more fans at their spring football than went to the Final Four to support the basketball team. If losing made a fan base wiser and more rounded, UK football fans would be the gridiron gurus of the SEC.
I don't believe winning or losing has anything to do with my knowledge of college sports. I follow Football, Basketball and Baseball and believe I have a good knowledge of each. I would say I know as much about Football as the average VT football fan.....and I'm sure there are plenty of VT fans that know as much or more about Basketball than I do. The fans I don't understand are the ones that follow the bandwagon and have different college teams depending on how good they are in each sport. A true fan is a fan that follows their school win or lose.....

I don't believe winning or losing has anything to do with my knowledge of college sports. I follow Football, Basketball and Baseball and believe I have a good knowledge of each. I would say I know as much about Football as the average VT football fan.....and I'm sure there are plenty of VT fans that know as much or more about Basketball than I do. The fans I don't understand are the ones that follow the bandwagon and have different college teams depending on how good they are in each sport. A true fan is a fan that follows their school win or lose.....

Thats because UVA isnt a perennial powerhouse in one single sport with a huge nation wide fanbase.
I dont expect you to understand. When your an alum of a school with various good teams from season to season I would expect a "working knowledge" of all sports, which I admit you have. But you just made my point....ask a Hoo fan how the Cavs are gonna look next year and you will likely hear "In which sport" Ask a UK fan how the Cats are gonna look next year and you will likely hear talk of a Final Four just as Bama fans will speak of Saban winning another title.
Doesnt it sound logical for a fan who follows one sport 24/7 to be more knowledgeable than a fan who covers several sports from season to season?

Because you wrongly assume that the average Kentucky fan eats, breathes and sleeps Kentucky basketball every day and hour of a calendar year. Of course the average fan is going to have more emotional investment in a program like Kentucky than a Prairie View A&M, but the average fan only passively follows sports and you will notice a visible winnowing of a fan base's support or enthusiasm if that success does not sustain itself or drops off considerably. There's nothing essential about UK that's great; it was built over time and it's more about the prestige, the brand and the sense of identity and belonging than about being a student of the game.

Also, the point is not just that losses grant you some profound insight, but more that someone who follows a bad team is a dyed-in-the-wool fan regardless of circumstance. The more passive fans and seasonal fans who don't care about sniffing out every little tidbit throughout the whole calendar year, are easier to come across in larger fan bases simply because success is conducive to growth. Having a memory of winning does not grant technical insights in any special, significant way.

Because it doesn't have anything to do with it. you know sports because you're a sports fan. A lot of people confuse fans who are part of a winning culture (I.e. UK, Alabama, the Warriors or UNC) with sports fans and they're not the same thing.

Reactions: Hoos19NC
Thats because UVA isnt a perennial powerhouse in one single sport with a huge nation wide fanbase.
I dont expect you to understand. When your an alum of a school with various good teams from season to season I would expect a "working knowledge" of all sports, which I admit you have. But you just made my point....ask a Hoo fan how the Cavs are gonna look next year and you will likely hear "In which sport" Ask a UK fan how the Cats are gonna look next year and you will likely hear talk of a Final Four just as Bama fans will speak of Saban winning another title.
Doesnt it sound logical for a fan who follows one sport 24/7 to be more knowledgeable than a fan who covers several sports from season to season?

No, because most fans don't pore over technical details when they watch sports and that doesn't change with a program's level of success. Emotional investment does not in a general sense improve knowledge of a game. That's nonsense. Also, I think you confuse dyed-in-the-wool fanatics who have ten message board accounts, season tickets and a decal-festooned car with the average fan. Even historic programs have average fans who just watch the game and enjoy the culture. And in general those people are the majority and the guys who get buried in team colors or drive 30 hours to see a regional tournament game are outliers.

So UK football fans are just as knowledgeable in football as VT fans? All the football success, recruiting, 10 win seasons, bowl appearances etc mean nothing? Things such as a rich football culture in Va vs poor football culture in Kentucky doesnt put VT fans at an advantage when it comes to knowledge of college football?
If things such as culture, history, tradition, winning, not having any other sport to follow etc...doesnt make a fan more knowledgeable in a sport then what does?

Last edited:
I guess Yankee fans know baseball better than any other fans............................

So UK football fans are just as knowledgeable in football as VT fans? All the football success, recruiting, 10 win seasons, bowl appearances etc mean nothing? Things such as a rich football culture in Va vs poor football culture in Kentucky doesnt put VT fans at an advantage when it comes to knowledge of college football?
If things such as culture, history, tradition, winning, not having any other sport to follow etc...doesnt make a fan more knowledgeable in a sport then what does?
A U.K. Basketball fan probably has more knowledge of U.K. Basketball than a basketball fan of another school but not necessarily more knowledge of the game than fans from other schools....that's nothing but an elitist attitude that you expect from U.K., UNC and Alabama fans. HR, I Luv Bama says Hi...

Last edited:
I guess Yankee fans know baseball better than any other fans............................
LOL....just listen to them and they will tell you they do. Based on VT/UK I Guess Steelers fans are the smartest, would have thought it was Cowboy fans they are more obnoxious than Steeler Fans.

No. In many cases, if not most, following a team/sport particularly at the college level has little to do with knowledge of the sport. It's more of a social/association thing than a true sports thing. I think the people on here are a little more knowledgeable of the sport and informed of the sport at their particular school.

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT