ADVERTISEMENT

Next year has a lot of potential

SunnyBeachWave

Global Elite-Illuminatist
Gold Member
May 8, 2013
"Next year" is something we've gotten use to hearing in Hokienation regarding improvement and potential. It has almost become cliche around here. I can't even remember the last time right before the start of a season I didn't think that this team has crazy potential.

For now though, all I care about is beating these pansies.

As much as I look forward to seeing who Babcock selects to replace Beamer in the future, it won't be next year, and probably rightfully so. 4 of our 5 losses are by one score or less which to me means we could be sitting here with one loss. If not for the unusually painful attrition this year, we might have had a shot at being undefeated at this point. Unlikely with inconsistent oline play, but still there was[/I] a chance. Maddy being out really hurt us in the Miami game but woulda, coulda, shoulda...

Next year does appear to be lining up well for us but even with the team at full health, we need Babcock will be overseeing the hire.

All speculation on my part, but if it plays out like this, will there be enough time for a new guy to prepare a savvy offense for next season or will we be saying "next year is going to be something special" again next year?

IMO:

Our OLine will be better with the new bodies and what we have returning w/ their collective experience. Our RB depth chart will be fine with what we have now plus Edmunds, Williams and maybe McKenzie back.

Beamer will keep our OC because he does not hire and fire coaches easily and is extremely loyal. Due to good recruiting also he will stay.

Foster will handle our D well with Maddy back and with the kids on deck to help.

Leal is the only loss at QB and it will open for competition next season. I feel that we need a dual threat QB to really move the chains and that Durkin is the man.

Hodges has had a great year so far but he should have lots more plays called for him.

I hope the staff stays in together to see it happen.

Burn the play book, and design some plays that gains big yards, not hoping to gain 3 on a run and 7 on a pass. Get an offense that can score from anywhere on the field.

Beamerball has turned into Excuseball. I don't expect anything new next year except the same old excuses from Beamer unless Whit Babcock brings in an accomplished OC and allows him the freedom to restructure the offense without Beamer's interference.

Originally posted by mrjolly01:

Beamerball has turned into Excuseball. I don't expect anything new next year except the same old excuses from Beamer unless Whit Babcock brings in an accomplished OC and allows him the freedom to restructure the offense without Beamer's interference.
Frank allows an accomplished OC the freedom to run the O? NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

until i see a real OL, I won't believe us capable of having one anymore.

..and "+1" for this:

For now though, all I care about is beating these pansies.
laugh.r191677.gif

VT has punted 61 times this season. By comparison, Baylor has punted 35 times and Alabama 43. This is 61 times we gave the ball back to opponent.

Originally posted by Windows NT:

Originally posted by mrjolly01:

Frank allows an accomplished OC the freedom to run the O? NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.
Not if its left up to Frank, no. That would require considerable interference in Frank's affairs by Whit.

Originally posted by Flashman:
We'll be seeing posts like this again on November 19, 2015.
Yeah. Not to be a cynic, SBW, but I agree with Flashman on this. As long as Beamer is here, I don't think anything will change for the better. It may not get worse either, but I don't expect more than 6-7 victories next year unless something changes drastically.

Originally posted by HeaksManley:

Originally posted by Flashman:
We'll be seeing posts like this again on November 19, 2015.
Yeah. Not to be a cynic, SBW, but I agree with Flashman on this. As long as Beamer is here, I don't think anything will change for the better. It may not get worse either, but I don't expect more than 6-7 victories next year unless something changes drastically.
How in the world could you be a VT fan and not be a cynic at this point, without coming off as a hypnotized minion?

I feel pretty much the same way, but Babcock has been hovering like a helicopter on the football program all year. There's no way some type of change isn't made after this season. I say that because Babcock doesn't come off as a lackadaisical yes man who is intimidated by Beamer's legacy and tenure. Respectful, I'm sure, but he's aware and in tune, so I predict there will be some staff changes.

Yep !!! IMHO, keep a eye on loss of recruits , AND the biggest thing , Lane Stadium being not full by Season Ticket holders this year. People are tired of the same stuff being but on the field. Ticket sales and Hokie Club Members carry a lot of pull in the Money end of things. VT can't keep going down hill and expect to be a factor in the Future, Whit Babcock is a Business man and not Fan Club Leader......

I only went to one game this season. I am not going to Lane Stadium to see VT lose to teams we should beat.

I am definitely with you brother. I agree with you 100%. Why spend a lot of money to see a pitiful product on the field. If . . . .if as some pundits will say we need to do this to support the team and it is not about wining or losing . . . .then price the game that way. Sell the tickets for $5 a piece so I know I am watching a high school production. If you are going to charge a premium price then you should put a premium product on the field. That falls squarely on Frank Beamer's shoulder.

Maybe some of you guys are made of money but for me the minimum cost for a game is at least $500 for myself and my wife. I am perfectly willing to do this two-three times a year but the excitement has gone from the games. Used to be fans watched the games - - -now it is a social convention. Might as well break out the wine and cheese and get social manners from Charlottesville if this is what we have become.

Welcome to my world.....Zima for everyone!!!!! Just imagine how bad it will feel to lose to the worst VT team in 20 years.......ugh.

I dont think any AD is going to hire an OC and grant him free reign over what the head coach wants. As long as Beamer is head coach, VT will play not to lose and any OC will do as hes told. I dont see any real change til after Beamer leaves.

Originally posted by VT/UK Rondo:

I dont think any AD is going to hire an OC and grant him free reign over what the head coach wants. As long as Beamer is head coach, VT will play not to lose and any OC will do as hes told. I dont see any real change til after Beamer leaves.
It took about ten years of rideing the wave to get our O line like it is. Will it be better next year ,maybe, but I don't expect a miracle. We have to build it back just like we tore it down. Whit is his own man but he is not going to unceremoniously kick FB to the curb. It's going to be interesting because I think he has to do somthing..I look for changes but not a complete overhaul. If he brings in a highpower OC then I would say thts our next HC. While i know it's illegal to formerly have a coach in waiting it doesn't mean you cant have an OC that will become the next HC. Hell he may not change anything. How do we end up the year? 5-7 ,6-7, 7-6 , 8-5. This could make a big diference.

This is the 3rd year since the changes bringing in the new OC. Look at the new young talent on the team at the WR, RB, OL and QB position. Overall our D is fine.

An AD doesn't hire and fire a head coaches staff. That is up to the head coach. And Beamer and Co. get one more year easily to turn things around.

Beamer's contract extension to 2018 gives our recruits a clear picture of Babcocks confidence in Beamer.

Originally posted by leeanderthal:

I look for changes but not a complete overhaul. If he brings in a highpower OC then I would say thts our next HC.
Which would be the carrot to draw a high power OC to Blacksburg.

Seems like a creative and viable option for Whit, as opposed to riding this same worn out horse with Beamer until his coaching contract expires. Also it would provide for the most seamless transition when Beamer retires. Makes a lot of sense IMO. Of course, he may not do anything, but then again, Whit is not Weaver..

I think Beamer may get one more year, but it will have to be on his dime. I'm not going to continue to support mediocrity at its best. If injuries and freshmen were the issue this year, next year he will have to hope that time heals all wounds.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT