ADVERTISEMENT

Now Evans is gone

Wow....I didn't see Evans leaving, that one surprised me. Do you guys really believe he's ready? Ford should have a good NFL career if he stays healthy.

I'm a little surprised by that, but best of luck for sure.

I thought Evans could've used another season of reading defenses and getting further down into his reads. I don't know how a one read and run guy will be valued in the draft, but his size and running ability might be something that a team looks at.

Wow....I didn't see Evans leaving, that one surprised me. Do you guys really believe he's ready? Ford should have a good NFL career if he stays healthy.

I thought he still needed another season, so I'm a bit surprised. I can't imagine he'd leave without hearing rounds 1-3 from an agent, though, and if he didn't hear that and left anyway then I think he'll come to regret it. I wish him the best of luck, obviously, but this kind of reminds me of Shyrone Stith. I just hope he's getting good advice. Sucks to lose such a wealth of talent in so short a period of time, though, no doubt about it. Repeating as Coastal champs just got a hell of a lot tougher.

I think he could of used another year, could be several reasons for leaving. Tho the NFL qb class this draft is weak, maybe a good move. I've been waiting for the Jackson era to begin. I have a feeling JJ will be the next TT

I think he could of used another year, could be several reasons for leaving. Tho the NFL qb class this draft is weak, maybe a good move. I've been waiting for the Jackson era to begin. I have a feeling JJ will be the next TT

The scuttle butt seems to suggest we're in play for Malik Zaire. Also hearing Facyson may declare as well.

The scuttle butt seems to suggest we're in play for Malik Zaire. Also hearing Facyson may declare as well.
I just saw where a ND reporter tweeted he's not interested in VT. But that could change with Evans leaving.

I just saw where a ND reporter tweeted he's not interested in VT. But that could change with Evans leaving.

Two separate reporters have said two different things. One newspaper reporter (forget where) confirmed interest from Zaire. Guess we'll find out whose source was right soon.

very much in play for Zaire and Hooker is enrolling early, only thing that concerns me is depth at qb, didn't bother me to see Evans running the ball with Mot on the sidelines. Jackson is the real deal , just need depth. Sure Coach FU would like to redshirt Hooker

Jerod feels. .his stock right now is high enough. and it has a chance to slide with his top 2 Receivers gone.. Fayscon would be just foolish to leave.. once scouts view his tape. they may giggle at the fact he left early.. he got torched on more than one occasion .

Jerod feels. .his stock right now is high enough. and it has a chance to slide with his top 2 Receivers gone.. Fayscon would be just foolish to leave.. once scouts view his tape. they may giggle at the fact he left early.. he got torched on more than one occasion .

I agree, but he's somewhat injury-prone, and NFL front offices draft on potential as much as anything. I think a scout told him 4th round or so. Remember that even Chancellor struggled in coverage at VT, and Hodges is highly unpolished. It's tough to second-guess these kids when a single play can jeopardize or effectively end their pro prospects and by extension their livelihood. It can't be an easy decision to make and considering the average NFL career's length is so short, I can't judge these kids too harshly.

I agree, but he's somewhat injury-prone, and NFL front offices draft on potential as much as anything. I think a scout told him 4th round or so. Remember that even Chancellor struggled in coverage at VT, and Hodges is highly unpolished. It's tough to second-guess these kids when a single play can jeopardize or effectively end their pro prospects and by extension their livelihood. It can't be an easy decision to make and considering the average NFL career's length is so short, I can't judge these kids too harshly.
You are so right Heaks.....after what happened to Poindexter at UVA I've never had an issue with a kid going early if he's ready. We all wish they would stay 4 years but sometimes they are just ready.

Reactions: HeaksManley
I had counted on Evans coming back all along until recently after the bowl game.

I'd like for him to play another year but I can count the reasons for him to leave now: 1) His top receivers are leaving, 2) he was our top rusher and took a lot of punishment, 3) he reset all the records at VT, 4) I don't see our O line getting that much better next year, 5) I don't see our running game improving that much and he would need to carry the load again. 6) He's got talent enough to get drafted in the later rounds for nothing and make a team and take a few years to learn and improve and get a start.

Thanks Evans and good luck!

ND reporter is bitter over him leaving, was a Wisc reporter saying VT was very much in play.
It wouldn't make sense either, not to be interested in VT. Seems like every QB developed by Fuente is going to the NFL. Dalton, Lynch, now Evans. Kids are going to start taking notice.

Im hoping the 3-way tie for QB last Fall was legit and Jackson really is that good and all of that wasnt just coach speak. I wish Evans the best, all things considered I cant blame him for leaving early.

it was not a 3 way tie.. that was coach talk to motivate Jerod to "take" the job. It was Jerod's job from the moment he stepped foot on campus.

I hope these guys do not hire an agent so they have option of returning if they are drafted too low.
But some rogue agent could have told them to leave. That has happened before. Agents should Not be allowed contact with players until after the draft.

I hope these guys do not hire an agent so they have option of returning if they are drafted too low.
But some rogue agent could have told them to leave. That has happened before. Agents should Not be allowed contact with players until after the draft.
No one comes back....at least I can't think of one that has ever returned after announcing.

This isn't the NBA. You can't change your mind. Once a player declares for the NFL draft he gone. Farewell, Jerod Evans. Did you ever set foot inside a classroom during your short stint at Virginia Tech?

I've never seen Jackson play so I can't really weigh in on him. But I'm not worried because I have a lot of faith in this coach. I honestly believe he will eventually get us to the playoffs. He does a great job of putting his players in position to win, and playing in the Coastal we have a great path every year to get to the ACCCG. Next year included.

I've never felt more optimistic about the upside of this program so am not sweating the loss of Evans.

I've never seen Jackson play so I can't really weigh in on him. But I'm not worried because I have a lot of faith in this coach. I honestly believe he will eventually get us to the playoffs. He does a great job of putting his players in position to win, and playing in the Coastal we have a great path every year to get to the ACCCG. Next year included.

I've never felt more optimistic about the upside of this program so am not sweating the loss of Evans.
I would think anytime you lose 3 key players on offense you have to have a little concern.

I would think anytime you lose 3 key players on offense you have to have a little concern.
Not really. The health of the overall program is what's important to me. Every good program has to deal with this and still come back and produce. When they do that's the mark of a good program. Does anybody think we are not a good program?

Look at your own player losses in basketball last year - they were significant - yet you didn't fall off the map. I attribute that to your coach.

????? Agents earn their cut by signing players, then putting them in programs to prepare them for tryouts and the combine. They want immediate commitment 24X7 by the player to focus on nothing but highlighting their skills.

Believe me, if Jerod has decided to enter the draft, he has already had a ton of agent contact, and will select one quickly.

Last edited:
Not really. The health of the overall program is what's important to me. Every good program has to deal with this and still come back and produce. When they do that's the mark of a good program. Does anybody think we are not a good program?

Look at your own player losses in basketball last year - they were significant - yet you didn't fall off the map. I attribute that to your coach.
You may 100% correct.....I don't know the caliber of replacements for these 3. I hear a lot about your freshman QB but have no idea about receivers. Without Evans running like a tank, I would think your big concern has to be finding a top notch running back.

We need to just give Fu time to recruit. He took a program that had backslided to struggling for bowl eligibility, with two of those same 3 players leaving now for the NFL, to a 10 win season. I think he will rule the Coastal with a full compliment of his own recruits.

We need to ditch the "Running Back by Committee" we have used for past few seasons..

If he finds a "hoss", he'll ride it. Every time we seem to have a RB that has a burst, he gets nicked and we move on to another.

Would love to have a guy who could go the distance every time, who would draw the LBs in to stop the run, and open up lanes for the receivers.

He;s making a huge mistake. He has a lot of natural ability but right now he locks in on one receiver rather than following his progressions to find the open receiver. Another year at Tech would establish him as one of the leading Q backs coming out in 2018. He'll wind up as the # 10 Q back drafted this year and will end up as a project for whoever drafts him in the 5th or 6th round. He's getting some really bad advice. Dang..

Agree with you hokieinc-ville. Not sure how the QB situation for the draft will be next year but that said agree that he needs more work. He really is not accurate enough on longer throws and he has not always recognized pressure in the pocket. How many times was he sacked this year or tackled for a loss? But everyone has there own situation. I have no ill feelings for the kid and wish him all the best. He has a lot of potential and I can definitely see him making it at the next level.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT