ADVERTISEMENT

ODU

Starting QB is now out... Turnover or def stop now is our only chance at avoiding a Temple...

We got found out. We were rated too highly and we went along with it. Too many players left the D for whatever reason and our kids need more time.

It may be a long rebuilding season.

ODU played a great game of course. They should go dual QBs for the remainder (obviously). Freshmen corners never made a play on the balls... Figured we'd win a couple of those "50-50 balls" LaRussa threw up. Out of over a half dozen, we lost on 6 of them... maybe tied on 2 or 3, but won none. Also, stupid penalties...

ODU played a great game of course. They should go dual QBs for the remainder (obviously). Freshmen corners never made a play on the balls... Figured we'd win a couple of those "50-50 balls" LaRussa threw up. Out of over a half dozen, we lost on 6 of them... maybe tied on 2 or 3, but won none. Also, stupid penalties...

Gawd, Temple, JMU, now ODU. WTF happened? I thought the team was over-rated but seriously, ODU? Ouch.

Bud and his defense were at a local mall shopping. This was Blacksburg High's defense playing for Tech today. :(
wait a minute , Blacksburg High is 5-0 , and is also the state's ( most dominant athletic program ) in the state , high school or college. And I will say our brown paper bag defense is better than The LunchPail D . We have the state championships and Wells Fargo Cups to prove it. VT has always been 2nd fiddle to BHS Onward Indians Onward Bruins P.S. Hokies might of had a chance today if Beck and Driscoll was on the field . :):po_O

Last edited:
Did Bud forget to use his stall techniques? Wink, wink! ????

I was disappointed to hear the VT coaches blame it all on the players. It's up to the coaches to coach which includes instruction and motivation.

The play-calling sucked for most of the game. Run the ball on 1st and 2nd down, throw on 3rd and take a sack, then punt. We did not play-to-win in the whole 1st half, we played not to loose.

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
I was disappointed to hear the VT coaches blame it all on the players. It's up to the coaches to coach which includes instruction and motivation.

The play-calling sucked for most of the game. Run the ball on 1st and 2nd down, throw on 3rd and take a sack, then punt. We did not play-to-win in the whole 1st half, we played not to loose.
We give up 49 points to ODU, and you're going to blame the offense? I think stupid penalties (face Mask, unsportsmanlike conduct, etc) and DBs not being able to make a play or two when challenged over a half dozen times. I wouldn't say the offense was perfect, but 35 points should have won the game by at least 10 points.

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
I knew we were in trouble early when I checked the stats and we had only thrown for 78 yards. For whatever the reason, the defense did not come to play. VT should have been able to take the 2nd stringers to ODU and blow them out.

ODU deserved to win. They outplayed VT on offense, defense and special teams. This is an institutional loss (lots of blame to go around). Unlike the previous major upsets (where VT shot themselves in the foot on numerous occasions), I believe the best team won on Saturday. ODU had 0 turnovers and I think only 1 penalty for 5 yards. They played very well and made some great plays. Our defense was very bad. Our offense was okay, but inconsistent (a few big plays keep us in the game). Special teams were okay. But ODU played better. I picked VT to go 8-4 this season, not sure where we can get another 6 or even 4 wins unless our defensive play gets a lot better.

I believe we were looking ahead to Duke. Bad game plan. I saw ODU play Liberty, and Liberty hung 52 points on scoreboard. We should have destroyed them.

I have always thought that we would get to a national title a lot quicker if we played tough teams each week.no cupcakes or what are looked as push overs.we would get to playing at a higher level and the loses we have along the way would not equal last weeks loss. It would not take long till we were to become king of the hill.we wouldn't have to worry about the flood of talent that is produced in vaVleaving. We would get the cream of the crop. Will we ever do this? No because we love a win ever week and more important is getting 10 wins. We learn very little from weaker teams and tend to play down to there level and not up to what we really are.

Reactions: kcwashing1
I agree with you. Playing a "tougher" schedule has several benefits. First, the losses hurt you less - in the polls, in prestige. Second, they toughen your team up for the grind that is league play both physically and mentally. Third, they show your strengths and weaknesses quicker which allows you to fix your problems early instead of allowing them to hide until it really comes back to bite you. The only perk of playing a soft out of conference schedule is when you are young it allows you to gain experience against opponents you should be able to out-athlete.

Every team needs one cupcake if for no other reason than to build depth and get healthy again. But no more than that.

I feel the FSU win gave Tech players a false bravado that comes from beating a "brand" name. They (not necessarily the coaches) felt that they have the game won just by walking onto the field. If nothing else, ODU should just lay down and not push back so hard because they too know they are beaten. But Tech allowed ODU to hang in there and allowed the worst thing in the world to happen - allowed ODU to BELIEVE! The more hope ODU got the more doubt entered into Tech's mind. When you have age and experience you pull up your britches and persevere. When you are young, you quit - mentally first as was seen by the stupid penalties - then physically as was seen on the last ODU drive.

Reactions: kcwashing1
I agree with you. Playing a "tougher" schedule has several benefits. First, the losses hurt you less - in the polls, in prestige. Second, they toughen your team up for the grind that is league play both physically and mentally. Third, they show your strengths and weaknesses quicker which allows you to fix your problems early instead of allowing them to hide until it really comes back to bite you. The only perk of playing a soft out of conference schedule is when you are young it allows you to gain experience against opponents you should be able to out-athlete.

Every team needs one cupcake if for no other reason than to build depth and get healthy again. But no more than that.

I feel the FSU win gave Tech players a false bravado that comes from beating a "brand" name. They (not necessarily the coaches) felt that they have the game won just by walking onto the field. If nothing else, ODU should just lay down and not push back so hard because they too know they are beaten. But Tech allowed ODU to hang in there and allowed the worst thing in the world to happen - allowed ODU to BELIEVE! The more hope ODU got the more doubt entered into Tech's mind. When you have age and experience you pull up your britches and persevere. When you are young, you quit - mentally first as was seen by the stupid penalties - then physically as was seen on the last ODU drive.[/QUO

ODU deserved to win. They outplayed VT on offense, defense and special teams. This is an institutional loss (lots of blame to go around). Unlike the previous major upsets (where VT shot themselves in the foot on numerous occasions), I believe the best team won on Saturday. ODU had 0 turnovers and I think only 1 penalty for 5 yards. They played very well and made some great plays. Our defense was very bad. Our offense was okay, but inconsistent (a few big plays keep us in the game). Special teams were okay. But ODU played better. I picked VT to go 8-4 this season, not sure where we can get another 6 or even 4 wins unless our defensive play gets a lot better.
Okay we did get to 4 wins. Defense has not gotten any better. We may be done for this year. Can't see us beating Miami or even Virginia with this defense. So long bowl streak. Both VT and FSU will be starting over next year.

I am beginning to think the loss to ODU is the root of most of our problems this season. We went down there not ready to play, and haven't recovered.

Offense is greatest concern for the season to me. Here's why it's actually not the D. The D is the youngest at VT since 1986 and by far Fosters youngest and it shows. They are getting pummeled, but our D ranked 10th last year and 16th the year before, so our 108th ranked D can be explained.

Our O? Experienced OL with a senior transfer QB and pretty talented WRs with mediocre rbs, and a guy in Fuente who was supposed to be an offensive guy .Our O has been very ugly against GT, BC, and Pitt. I have trouble explains the O. Something is wrong. The O should be better and it's not looking good either and there is far less explanation for it compared to our D

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT