ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio State Offense ranked Better than it's Defense, both top 20 in America

lucustookis

All-American
Jul 7, 2007
Ok, so one of the mantras I have seen on several sites now is that Ohio State won this thing with defense, so incredibly..........because they SUPPOSEBLY won the title with great D, then we make the leap and giant jump that Coach Frank Beamer is good to go and we are all set because his philosophy is spot on. Now.......go to TSL and ESPN to read the comments from some Hokie fans if you do not believe this is true. There are statements like this.

FACT 1 Ohio State finished ranked 19th in America in Defense. It finished ranked 9th in Total O. So once again, as I have pointed out countless times on this board over the years.... a team 99% of the time must have a good O and a good D to win the title. The one exception since 1960 was Ohio State in 2003ish (forget the exact year, but the Miami game) in which Ohio State was basically given the game by the officials, but this was the one outlier in which their Total O ranked around 70th in the nation, but their rush O was top 30 and their D was basically number one in about every major category and it was truly a defense for the ages. This year, OSU's offense actually ranked higher than the D, but the fact is, both their O and D were very good.

Congrats to Ohio State and my point is.....at least statistically, OSU this year actually had a better O than D, and their O finished top 10 in America to go along with a top 20 defense. Hopefully, most VT fans can understand the difference in a solid top 20 Defense and a Total O ranked about 10th to 20th in America compared to 70th to 100th in America.

I think you mean grasshopper. Unless you are referring to one of the biblical pestilences. Which I'm fine with as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT