ADVERTISEMENT

Our offense is lighting up that poor little out-manned 2-8 team...

Best offensive display I ever seen!
stevie-wonder.jpg

lmao ask for more changes........................... this loss is on you Hokie fans and donors who demanded changes, I hope you enjoyed today GO HOKIES Fire Lefty on the bus and let Lester call the plays next week

As a Clemson grad, what has happened to Va Tech's program has been fun to watch. The cockiness is gone.

On the bright side, VTech losing probably keeps Ohio State out of the playoff.

This post was edited on 11/22 4:08 PM by OrangeBlood36

This post was edited on 11/22 4:10 PM by OrangeBlood36

Originally posted by 1bburgfan:

lmao ask for more changes........................... this loss is on you Hokie fans and donors who demanded changes, I hope you enjoyed today GO HOKIES Fire Lefty on the bus and let Lester call the plays next week
Is this a joke? The problem is, Frank doesn't make changes. The same clueless guy sitting in the booth right now is the same clueless guy sitting in the booth 13 years ago.

The donors have been demanding changes, but Frank is protecting his buddy's salary just as hard as he can go, and THAT is the problem. Frank won't make the necessary changes, and that's why Frank and his good buddy both need to go.

Yeah it's everyone else's fault Frank made a terrible hire. Good call. Keep blaming everyone else for decision making/coaching incompetence. You're just the sucker who shows up no matter what. Have fun at the UVA game cheering on that.

Originally posted by hokiemtc:

Is this a joke? The problem is, Frank doesn't make changes. The same clueless guy sitting in the booth right now is the same clueless guy sitting in the booth 13 years ago.

The donors have been demanding changes, but Frank is protecting his buddy's salary just as hard as he can go, and THAT is the problem. Frank won't make the necessary changes, and that's why Frank and his good buddy both need to go.
Are you STILL Blaming Stiney? He's not the head coach and he's not the OC. Get a freaking GRIP!

The problem is Frank Bowden...

Originally posted by Cavgator:

Are you STILL Blaming Stiney? He's not the head coach and he's not the OC. Get a freaking GRIP!

I get the sentiment; there is a lot of postmortem stiney bashing. Still.

What is Stiney doing in the booth at all? What OC that you know of, sits next to the guy he ostensibly just replaced?
None that I can think of.

I've come around to believing the problem is Frank. I'll admit -it took me a while to get there. But yeah, the problem is Frank. I've never seen a team so totally unprepared as I've seen VT this year. Never.

It always has been Frank, regardless who the OC is. Frank's philosophy will NEVER change. Ground and pound, occasional play action, punt for field position, rely on defense. Cutcliffe can move the ball with Duke's two-star players. Look at Boston College under Addazio.

VT needs to retain its strong defensive philosophy, but it is time to attack teams. Close games allow weaker teams to have a chance for the upset.

Will Muschamp just got fired at Florida because he allowed USCe to stay in the damned game, and when the unlikely occurrence of a blocked FG and a block punt happened in succession, it allowed a bad USCe team back in the game, and to ultimately win in OT.

Muschamp didn't coach those kickers to screw up at a critical time, but he is responsible for W's and L's and was held accountable for it. Beamer is held to the same responsibilities, but instead, is kept because "of all he did for VT." Many fans continue to maintain that he should stay as long as he wants. If FSU gave that option to Bowden, he'd STILL be there.

VT has become FSU at the ass end of the Bowden Era. They hit bottom when they got shut out at home by Wake Forest, but THAT Deacons team at least won the ACC that year. Losing to a 2-8 Wake Forest team is flat unacceptable for anyone, let alone a prominent program like VT.

Beamer will never be fired (nor should he have to suffer the humiliation of a public firing), but he should be compelled to resign. Name the field after him, put a statue up, hyphenate the same of the stadium, do what you gotta do, but the AD needs to let him know gently that it is time for a new direction.

Oh, believe me, I was one of the first ones many years ago saying that Frank was the root of the problem. My response was strictly in context to the post I was responding to, which didn't bring up Frank's job "performance" in any way.

It always has been Frank, regardless who the OC is. Frank's philosophy will NEVER change. Ground and pound, occasional play action, punt for field position, rely on defense. Cutcliffe can move the ball with Duke's two-star players. Look at Boston College under Addazio.

VT needs to retain its strong defensive philosophy, but it is time to attack teams. Close games allow weaker teams to have a chance for the upset.

Will Muschamp just got fired at Florida because he allowed USCe to stay in the damned game, and when the unlikely occurrence of a blocked FG and a block punt happened in succession, it allowed a bad USCe team back in the game, and to ultimately win in OT.

Muschamp didn't coach those kickers to screw up at a critical time, but he is responsible for W's and L's and was held accountable for it. Beamer is held to the same responsibilities, but instead, is kept because "of all he did for VT." Many fans continue to maintain that he should stay as long as he wants. If FSU gave that option to Bowden, he'd STILL be there.

VT has become FSU at the ass end of the Bowden Era. They hit bottom when they got shut out at home by Wake Forest, but THAT Deacons team at least won the ACC that year. Losing to a 2-8 Wake Forest team is flat unacceptable for anyone, let alone a prominent program like VT.

Beamer will never be fired (nor should he have to suffer the humiliation of a public firing), but he should be compelled to resign. Name the field after him, put a statue up, hyphenate the same of the stadium, do what you gotta do, but the AD needs to let him know gently that it is time for a new direction.
I don't have a problem with Beamer's philosophy. Trying to beat the other team with a physical ground attack isn't in and of itself a bad thing. Plenty of teams are successful with it. It's the way we go about it that's so piss-poor. And say what you will about our offense this year, but this is not traditional Beamer ball, so I'm not sure I agree with the idea that we'll never change under him.

Originally posted by HeaksManley:

I don't have a problem with Beamer's philosophy. Trying to beat the other team with a physical ground attack isn't in and of itself a bad thing. Plenty of teams are successful with it. It's the way we go about it that's so piss-poor. And say what you will about our offense this year, but this is not traditional Beamer ball, so I'm not sure I agree with the idea that we'll never change under him.
Sooner or later, Heaks, he's GOT to adapt. There is no reason to see this level of ineptitude year after year after year.

Look at Mizzou. They don't recruit as well as VT, and they are somehow winning by substantial margins in the SEC. Gary Pinkel and staff do a superb job of adjusting their teams based on their talent level on particular sides of the ball.

Look at Kansas State. How Snyder does it is beyond my wildest comprehension, but KSU and Kansas have almost identical recruiting numbers, yet Snyder puts a competitive team on the field virtually every year.

Look at Baylor. The former doormat of the Big XII is now a dominant team. Look at the star averages for these teams since 2010:

Year---Baylor-----Duke----Ga Tech---KSU---Louisville---Mich St---Miss St--------Mizzou----TCU------VT-----Wisconsin

2010......3.09......2.50.........3.17..........2.94........2.81............3.10..........2.92.............3.30.........3.11.......3.29.....2.88
2011......2.95......2.55.........2.91..........2.68........3.15............3.00..........3.05.............3.06.........3.08.......3.05.....3.05
2012......3.00......2.60.........3.00..........2.76........3.00............3.11..........3.04.............3.11.........3.05.......3.18.....3.08
2013......2.91......2.55.........2.71..........2.72........2.94............3.11..........3.10.............2.95.........2.95.......3.26.....3.00
2014......2.96......2.89.........2.95..........2.80........2.82............3.17..........2.79.............2.79.........2.61.......3.11.....2.88

Avg.......2.98......2.62........2.95.........2.78........2.94...........3.10.........2.98............3.02.........2.96.......3.18.....2.98

Virginia Tech was once known as a program that did more with less as well as any team in the nation. That ship has sailed almost as long as the effectiveness of Beamer Ball. All of these teams are doing better than the Hokies now in conferences as good or better than the ACC, with less talent.

Look at Tennessee. Since Fulmer stayed too long and allowed the program to be driven into a ditch from 2005-2008, the once-proud Vols had seasons of:

2005: 5-6
2006: 9-4
2007: 10-4
2008: 5-7
2009: 7-6
2010: 6-7
2011: 5-7
2012: 5-7
2013: 5-7
2014: 5-6

Seven losing seasons in ten years?!? Tennessee?!?!? A decade going 62-61 for a program of that caliber? One has to go back to Roosevelt's Administration to find Tennessee this bad.

That would be TEDDY Roosevelt.

Virginia Tech has hit BOTTOM! I saw this deterioration at FSU with Bowden and at Florida with Muschamp. I do NOT want to see this happen at my second favorite team aside from my alma mater (UF).

This post was edited on 11/24 8:42 AM by Cavgator

Originally posted by HeaksManley:

Sooner or later, Heaks, he's GOT to adapt. There is no reason to see this level of ineptitude year after year after year.

Look at Mizzou. They don't recruit as well as VT, and they are somehow winning by substantial margins in the SEC. Gary Pinel and staff do a superb job of adjusting their teams based on their talent level on particular sides of the ball.

Look at Kansas State. How Snyder does it is beyond my wildest comprehension, but KSU and Kansas have almost identical recruiting numbers, yet Snyder puts a competitive team on the field virtually every year.

Look at Baylor. The former doormat of the Big XII is not a dominant team. Look at the star averages for these teams since 2010:

Year---Baylor-----Duke-------Ga Tech----KSU-----Louisville----Mich St-----Miss St-------Mizzou-----TCU------VT-----Wisconsin

2010......3.09......2.50.........3.17..........2.94........2.81............3.10..........2.92.............3.30.........3.11.......3.29.....2.88
2011......2.95......2.55.........2.91..........2.68........3.15............3.00..........3.05.............3.06.........3.08.......3.05.....3.05
2012......3.00......2.60.........3.00..........2.76........3.00............3.11..........3.04.............3.11.........3.05.......3.18.....3.08
2013......2.91......2.55.........2.71..........2.72........2.94............3.11..........3.10.............2.95.........2.95.......3.26.....3.00
2014......2.96......2.89.........2.95..........2.80........2.82............3.17..........2.79.............2.79.........2.61.......3.11.....2.88

Avg.......2.98......2.62........2.95...........2.78........2.94............3.10..........2.98.............3.02.........2.96.......3.18.....2.98

Virginia Tech was once know as doing more with less as well as any team in the nation. That ship has sailed almost as long as the effectiveness of Beamer Ball. All of these teams are doing better than the Hokies now in conferences as good or better than the ACC, with less talent.

Look at Tennessee. Since Fulmer stayed too long and allowed the program to be driven into a ditch from 2005-2008, the once proud Vols had seasons of:

2005: 5-6
2006: 9-4
2007: 10-4
2008: 5-7
2009: 7-6
2010: 6-7
2011: 5-7
2012: 5-7
2013: 5-7
2014: 5-6

Virginia Tech has hit BOTTOM! I saw this deterioration at FSU with Bowden and at Florida with Muschamp. I do NOT want to see this happen at my second favorite team aside from my alma mater (UF).
Don't get me wrong, I don't disagree with you and I'd like to see Beamer gone now rather than later. This is the worst I've seen VT football since 1992 and it falls squarely on Beamer. I was more or less commenting on how reluctant to run this particular offense has been compared to offenses of the past. I think 2011 and 2012 were both pass-heavy years, historically, but still didn't come near what we've seen this year.

Not only is offense bad, special teams play is probably even worse. No punt or kickoff returns for touchdowns. I can only recall one blocked kick all season. (punt vs W&M). I remember when we used to have a big ST play most every game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT