ADVERTISEMENT

playoff teams announced

Hampton Roads 6

Hokie Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2003
This committee has no integrity. Ohio State has zero business in playoff. They could not Even win their division in big 10. Penn State got shafted. The integrity of college football has been compromised.

You knew the committee wouldn't be any less biased than regular pollsters, given who they chose to fill out the panel.

Team A beats Team B and wins conference. Team B loses to Team A and does not win conference.

Team B makes playoff and Team A does not.

The playoff committee is nothing but a royal sham. At least the BCS's computers had some element that did not include flawed human bias.

Committee did a great job...should be a good playoff. But I don't see anyone beating Cheating Bama.

Yep HR6, you don't win your division or conference then you don't go to the playoff.

Tonight or tomorrow the committee chairman will make Hillary look like an honest person when he talks about teams selected.

You're too much of a purist. Conference championships don't mean as much as they did anymore. Look at the Big 12, which doesn't have twelve members, and doesn't even have divisions. If Penn State hadn't lost to an unranked Pittsburgh team, or been poleaxed by Michigan, I'd agree with you. But with only a three point loss at Penn State on their record, the Buckeyes should have gotten the nod. They did beat Michigan, Wisconsin and Oklahoma.....

Reactions: Hoos19NC
I think key with Penn State is they beat Ohio on the field. Penn State won conference championship. Ohio State should have not even been under consideration for playoffs. Ohio State must be today's version of Notre Dame. Getting spot they not deserve.

lmao HR6 in your hypocritical TrumpFalwell logic Nickie Satan and Roll Cheaters shouldn't have been in the 2011 nat championship game they didn't win their div. You're still butt hurt over the ass whipping OSU gave the cheaters

lmao HR6 in your hypocritical TrumpFalwell logic Nickie Satan and Roll Cheaters shouldn't have been in the 2011 nat championship game they didn't win their div. You're still butt hurt over the ass whipping OSU gave the cheaters
I laughed.....

The 4 playoff teams should be:

Alabama
Clemson
Washington
Penn State

No one else should have been considered.

You're too much of a purist. Conference championships don't mean as much as they did anymore. Look at the Big 12, which doesn't have twelve members, and doesn't even have divisions. If Penn State hadn't lost to an unranked Pittsburgh team, or been poleaxed by Michigan, I'd agree with you. But with only a three point loss at Penn State on their record, the Buckeyes should have gotten the nod. They did beat Michigan, Wisconsin and Oklahoma.....
Penn State beat Ohio State on the field.

Penn State won Ohio State's conference on the field.

Purist view or not, the committee failed when it disregarded these time honored facts and instead selected by biased opinion.

Penn State beat Ohio State on the field.

Penn State won Ohio State's conference on the field.

Purist view or not, the committee failed when it disregarded these time honored facts and instead selected by biased opinion.
The committee is there to choose the best four football teams in the nation. It's a subjective process, not "governed by time honored facts". If you look at time honored facts we'd still be choosing the national champion from the polls, which was really a disaster.

And just because the committee doesn't agree with your point of view, or mine, or anybody's, doesn't make them biased. Don't go Donald on us!

no reply HR6 a simple yes or no Should Ala been allowed to play for the 2011 Nat, Championship since they did not win the SEC west or the SEC Championship simple yes or no.

no reply HR6 a simple yes or no Should Ala been allowed to play for the 2011 Nat, Championship since they did not win the SEC west or the SEC Championship simple yes or no.
I answer for him...."Hell Yes!! The SEC is better than the NFL and VT is the ice cream on my apple pie and Bama is the cherry on top."

Last edited:
The committee is there to choose the best four football teams in the nation.
Ohio State either 1) proved on the field of play that they were NOT one of the 4 best teams in the nation, or 2) they proved that there were two Big 10 teams worthy of being selected...Penn State taken first and then Ohio State taken second.

There's absolutely nothing at all subjective about it...the teams played on the field...and Ohio State LOST. That's not subjective, that's fact. It's not debatable in any way. To ignore the facts are to fail as a committee.

And someone above said that Penn State should not have made it in because they lost to Pitt. OK...Clemson lost to Pitt as well, so why should Clemson make it in and not Penn State? What test of logic does that argument pass?

And also someone said above that Ohio State had quality wins. If OSU is one of the 4 best teams in the country, then Penn State's win over them was higher quality than anything Ohio State managed this year. Again, where's the logic in that argument?

I agree with HR6...the committee blew this one badly.

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
Ohio State either 1) proved on the field of play that they were NOT one of the 4 best teams in the nation, or 2) they proved that there were two Big 10 teams worthy of being selected...Penn State taken first and then Ohio State taken second.

There's absolutely nothing at all subjective about it...the teams played on the field...and Ohio State LOST. That's not subjective, that's fact. It's not debatable in any way. To ignore the facts are to fail as a committee.

And someone above said that Penn State should not have made it in because they lost to Pitt. OK...Clemson lost to Pitt as well, so why should Clemson make it in and not Penn State? What test of logic does that argument pass?

And also someone said above that Ohio State had quality wins. If OSU is one of the 4 best teams in the country, then Penn State's win over them was higher quality than anything Ohio State managed this year. Again, where's the logic in that argument?

Penn ST should be left out for the cover up.....just sayin. For every year Joe Pa and his coaches covered up for the Perv they should have to automatically be passed over when they deserve a slot.

That Alabama team proved on the field that they were worthy enough to watch the game on TV...but not play in it.

That was yet another farce created by biased people who aren't qualified to be casting votes or making selections.

Losses count, and should be in the equation. Ohio State and Clemson had one loss, PSU had two. You don't mention the second loss, which was an absolute beat down by Michigan. If PSU had only a single loss, then I would agree that they go to the final four and not OSU.

Losses count, and should be in the equation. Ohio State and Clemson had one loss, PSU had two. You don't mention the second loss, which was an absolute beat down by Michigan. If PSU had only a single loss, then I would agree that they go to the final four and not OSU.
So your make/break criteria is solely overall record. That, to me, at least is clearly defineable and non-subjective, although not all OOC schedules are created equal. In other words, Penn St and Clemson both lost to Pitt...who's to say that Ohio St would not have also lost to Pitt if they had played?

I think that might be my biggest problem with the committee. There are no guidelines and no standards. The criteria that they appear to apply to one team in order to justify their selection is not what they apply to other teams in order to justify their selections. Everyone gets graded differently using different grading curves. We all know you can spin what gets applied to justify just about anything, so by declaring ahead of time that there are no set standards, then it really just becomes a personal preference thing, and the personal biases shine pretty bright.

I watched Ohio State play several times this year. They aren't even close to being one of the 4 best teams in the country. They are lucky they didn't end up with a worse record than VT did.

All season long they put a lot of weight on conference championships. The 4 teams should have been Alabama, Clemson, Washington and Penn State. They all won their conference. Big 12 champ not in running because they have no conference championship game.

then lets strip the crimson cheat of the 2011 title they weren't the conf champs just the conf chumps

Their job is to pick to 4 best teams in their estimation. Does anyone here believe that Penn State is better than OSU? My guess is you would be in a minority.

As an aside, I watched the OSU/PSU game, and even though PSU won, there was no doubt in my mind that OSU was the best team.

Yeah you cannot take this by record alone. I am sure there are some non-power 5 conferences with undefeated teams. If you took this purely by record alone then those would be in and not the power 5 conference teams. I think you have to take into consideration the quality of opponents the quality of the wins and losses. Obviously a team can have a bad day and lose a game. Should we penalize a team for one-loss? What other factors should be included in the discussion besides just a W or a L?

Ohio State is a lot like Notre Dame. They are treated somewhat differently than other schools. Ohio State could not even win their conference.

Speaking of Notre Dame, to prove my point on their gifts, UConn women's basketball has been ranked behind ND all season, with ND bein #1. Last night UConn went into South Bend and beat the golden dommers on their home floor by 11 points, for their 83rd straight win. Maybe Pollsters will put UConn #1 next week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT