ADVERTISEMENT

Point Guard Robinson is helping Buzz get it done this year

BigDaddyHokie

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 24, 2007
He is just finding out how good he can be and how much better VT is when he plays like his hair is on fire. Everybody feeds on his example.

Buzz got it done tonight. He made some big coaching changes after yet another major breakdown in the effort of his players against Miami on Saturday.

Probably the most important change was sitting Hill, who’s offense and defense has been hurting the team, which was probably really hard for Buzz because he loves Hill, and putting in a defensive player (Wilson), and lighting a fire under Blackshear and Clarke to play hard, which neither did against Miami. 2nd, instead of watching our opponents repeatedly rebound Hill’s missed 3s and converting wide open shots on their end, he kept sending Robinson down NC State’s throat and picking up fouls on their giraffe. As a result we shot over 60% both halves, converting our opportunities into points and then defending aggressively on their end. Third, he used his bench. He played 10 players tonight. I’d still like to see him play our back up players more, because those guys have been developing pine blisters on Buzz’s bench.

It was a complete reversal from what we’ve been doing in previous games. Great adjustments by coach tonight. We only make three 3s, win going away, on effort, instead of hoping that enough of Hill’s 3s are going to fall to make up for his soft defense and everybody else’s soft defense. Hopefully we’ll continue to see that approach from Buzz and that mindset from our players, and have finally seen the last remaining remnants of that no energy “Miami” mindset. Really good job tonight.

Reactions: HeaksManley
He did use the bench more and they came thru. Wilson drove often and it paid off. He's been reluctant up until last night and our bench's D and rebounding really helped.

Last edited:
He did use the bench more and they came thru. Wilson came drove often and it paid off. He's been reluctant up until last night and our bench's D and rebounding really helped.
Yeah, that’s a really good point. Wilson can’t shoot a lick, but he can drive and create more pressure on the defense at the rim. And he was looking to do just that. And since Hill either can’t drive, or won’t drive, offensively you are just changing out a one dimensional player for a different kind of one dimensional player, while picking up a defender in the process. Free throws might suffer a little, that’s about all. Key stat last night - Hill 16 minutes. I would also like to see Buzz send a few more of Hill’s minutes toward Bede, who’s another much better defender than Hill, and I think a better overall offensive player once he gets the playing time to validate himself.

I remember Robinson was happy just to bring the ball up and start the offense 2 years ago. Bede will learn to do the same.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT