ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: Playoffs

If FSU loses the ACC has no chance getting a team in.

This post was edited on 11/17 10:38 AM by BC11JR

Originally posted by BC11JR:
If FSU loses the ACC has no chance getting a team in.

This post was edited on 11/17 10:38 AM by BC11JR
If FSU wins out I suspect it will be the big 12 unless Oregon loses again.

If FSU and Oregon wins out I think you have this.
2 SEC
1ACC
1 Pac10

2 SEC
1ACC
1 Pac10
This.

Big 12 and Big 10 get left out with Baylor wondering what happened in Morgantown and Ohio State wondering what happened against the Hokies.

If Alabama, Oregon, and FSU win the rest of their games and conf. championships, they're definitely in.

It will be Baylor, Miss. State, TCU, and Ohio State fighting for the 4th spot. If those 4 teams win out, I'd assume you'd have to go with Miss. State, unless Ohio State shows an impressive win over Wisconsin in the Big 10 championship.

The game between Miss State and Ole Miss will be huge for Miss St. in determining if they are a 2nd SEC team or if it opens the door for Ohio State/Baylor/TCU.

After listening to an interview with Jeff Long, the committee chairman on ESPN radio Saturday morning, I don't think anyone should be "buying playoff tickets" right now. Nothing he said made any sense, other than his comments hinted favorably toward Oregon, who is a committee favorite since committee is PAC 10 heavy. Long is an AD in SEC and went to school at an ACC school.

Originally posted by VA4VT:
2 SEC
1ACC
1 Pac10
This.

Big 12 and Big 10 get left out with Baylor wondering what happened in Morgantown and Ohio State wondering what happened against the Hokies.

If Alabama, Oregon, and FSU win the rest of their games and conf. championships, they're definitely in.

It will be Baylor, Miss. State, TCU, and Ohio State fighting for the 4th spot. If those 4 teams win out, I'd assume you'd have to go with Miss. State, unless Ohio State shows an impressive win over Wisconsin in the Big 10 championship.

The game between Miss State and Ole Miss will be huge for Miss St. in determining if they are a 2nd SEC team or if it opens the door for Ohio State/Baylor/TCU.
Nailed it. All accurate.

The Selection Committee, Congress, Supreme Court, ESPN and Urban Meyer will do everything in their power to get a Big 10 team in.

I'd like to see Alabama, FSU, Baylor and Mississippi State in.

Originally posted by Hampton Roads 6:

The Selection Committee, Congress, Supreme Court, ESPN and Urban Meyer will do everything in their power to get a Big 10 team in.

I'd like to see Alabama, FSU, Baylor and Mississippi State in.
I have no love for Oregon, Baylor or TCU.

I would like to see FSU, Bama, Miss St and OSU. I don't necessarily think those are the 4 best teams, but they're the 4 I think would be a good representation and have earned it. Say what you want about OSU but they've come a long way since y'all handled them. I would vote for UGa to be in the top 4 if Gurley wasn't done. I love that dude. I just really don't want Oregon to win...for no other reason than I loathe their uniforms and more importantly, I loathe the uniform culture they've created. Damn them.

I'd like to know how much Nike has greased the palms with. The NCAA should have an undercover investigator living in Oregon.

Guys - Mississippi State won't make it unless they win the SEC or if there are less than 4 total Power 5 teams that are undefeated/have one loss. Mississippi State's OOC is terrible and their good wins over LSU, Auburn, and Texas A&M aren't that great now - all 4 will have at least 4 losses by the end of the year once Alabama beats Auburn. That being said - that game at Ole Miss will be tough for Mississippi State and a win there would be very impressive.

The playoff teams right now are
Alabama - SEC champion
Oregon - Pac-12 champion
Florida State - ACC champion

One of
Ohio State - Big 10 Champion
TCU - Big 12 Champion
Baylor - Big 12 Champion

Mississippi State needs win the SEC by having Alabama to lose to Auburn or needs all 3 of the above other 5 teams to lose to make the playoffs. It isn't that far fetched and could happen. FSU has been far from dominant, TCU could lose to Texas, Baylor still has Kansas State, Oregon still has to deal with UCLA/Arizona State/USC/Arizona in the Pac-12 Championship game, and Ohio State still has to play Wisconsin (probably) in the Big 10 Championship game.

The two loss teams like Kansas State, Wisconsin, Georgia, Georgia Tech, even Missouri aren't done yet if they can win their conferences and get some help - still a lot of football left. Well Missouri might be a stretch with the loss to Indiana - but if they beat the SEC West winner who knows?

I think Georgia and Georgia Tech are in great shape right now - one will get a huge boost by beating the other and possibly upsetting FSU/Alabama in the title game.

I will bet a meal at McDonald's, Burger King or Hardee's that there will be a 2 loss team in playoffs. If an SEC team loses 2 games, so what, it will still have played a tougher schedule than anyone else, providing loss was to another SEC team. Mississippi State should not be thrown out of NCAA because they lost to Alabama. Saturday in Tuscaloosa, the 2 best teams in the country were playing. One had to lose. While these 2 teams were playing who was Ohio State, Oregon and other Big 10 and PAC 10 schools playing ?

Miss. St.? LOL. Miss. St. is the same team they always are. The only difference is LSU and Auburn are not as good, so Miss. St. beat them this year. Yawn. They looked terrible for almost 3 quarters against Bama, and the only reason that was close is because Bama is not as good as you think they are. A team that played Southern Miss., UAB, South Alabama, and UT Martin OOC, and beat no one great all year better not come close to sniffing the playoff.

If the SEC gets a team in, they will not even make the title game this year if they get matched up with FSU, Oregon, or Ohio St. in the semi final game, and they would probably be in a tough game with TCU or Baylor.

Instead of asking who were other teams playing when Bama and Miss. St. played their boring game, you should be asking why SEC teams are playing UL Monroe, ODU, Presbyterian, UT Martin, W. Carolina, Samford, Ch. Southern, E. Ky., and South Alabama in November when these other teams are all playing conference games.

With their in conference schedule the SEC has earned the right to play the OOC teams mentioned. The Big 10 and PAC 10 teams play nobodies the year round.

With their in conference schedule the SEC has earned the right to play the OOC teams mentioned. The Big 10 and PAC 10 teams play nobodies the year round.
You are wrong - Oregon, UCLA, Arizona State, Arizona, Utah, and USC are all good teams.

The Big 10 has Ohio State, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Nebraska (yes even after that performance vs. Wisconsin), Minnesota.

Certain SEC teams like Georgia, LSU, and Alabama played good teams OOC. Even Ole Miss scheduled Boise State. What did Mississippi State do? Schedule 4 easy wins and that deserves punishment if you don't go undefeated and win your conference. How is this any different from Kansas in 2007 - and Kansas wasn't going to play for the National title unless they beat Missouri and Oklahoma that year for the Big 12 title. Kansas lost to Missouri and that was that. Baylor deserves the same punishment this year IMHO - however at least they can win the Big 12.

Miss. St. will only play 8 major conference teams this year. And, the 2 SEC East teams they drew were Vandy and Ky. Their schedule stinks. Period. To even try to think that compares to a Pac 12 schedule is ridiculous. Not only do Pac teams play 9 instead of 8 conference games, but they also play a lot of games against major conference teams. While Miss. St. will only play 8 major conference teams all year, Oregon will play 9 Pac teams and Mich. St. for a total of 10, and teams like USC will play 9 Pac teams, BC, and ND for a total of 11, and UCLA will play 9 Pac teams, Texas, and UVA for a total of 11.

Think of how many more losses as a conference the SEC would have if they played a 9 game conference schedule and better OOC teams. We know the 9 game conference schedule would automatically give them 7 more losses as a conference, so add in a few more OOC losses, and then the SEC does not look anything like they do now because more losses means less ranked teams.

I will give them credit for playing the system and fooling most everyone. Start off with a ton of teams ranked, play a ton of cupcakes OOC, and only play 8 conference games. Then, when conference play starts, the result is having lots of ranked vs. ranked games, making whoever wins look that much better and whoever loses not be hurt. Then, after all of that, play a bunch of November OOC cupcakes.

The PAC 10 is weak. Oregon gets love from the media because of all their uniforms. If Nike wasn't underwriting the program they'd be just another school out west. This is the school that was paying recruiting services $25,000.00 for recruits from Texas.
This post was edited on 11/18 11:28 AM by Hampton Roads 6

Our you kidding me. Let's look at the conference standings, pac 12 north, only 2 teams of the 6 have over a .500 record(Oregon and Washington). Sec west, 6 of the 7 teams have over a .500 record. Are u telling me the 6 teams that Mississippi st. played in conference stink and the fact that Oregon played Michigan st out of conference means they are a juggernaut? I'm missing your point.

Originally posted by Vtjhenry:
Our you kidding me. Let's look at the conference standings, pac 12 north, only 2 teams of the 6 have over a .500 record(Oregon and Washington). Sec west, 6 of the 7 teams have over a .500 record. Are u telling me the 6 teams that Mississippi st. played in conference stink and the fact that Oregon played Michigan st out of conference means they are a juggernaut? I'm missing your point.

Yes, the Pac 12 North is weak - like the SEC East this year. Oregon's SOS is pretty weak - but wins over Michigan State, UCLA, and Utah look really good right now since all are ranked.

5 of the ACC Atlantic teams have an above .500 record - and that division isn't considered great even though BC beat USC and FSU beat Oklahoma State.

All of the good SEC West teams didn't play Missouri or Georgia - with the exception of Auburn and Texas A&M. Guess what - Georgia smoked Auburn and Missouri beat Texas A&M at Kyle Field. Georgia routed Arkansas (they were up 38-6 at one point in that game) - a team the rest of the SEC West had trouble with. Regarding the SEC West's records - VT could be 6-4 this year if they removed ECU from the schedule and put a Sun Belt team in its place.

I give credit to Alabama beating WVU, Auburn beating K-State, and LSU beating Wisconsin. Even Ole Miss has 2 good OOC wins over Memphis and Boise State. Arkansas didn't know that Texas Tech was going to be this bad - but their OOC still stinks. Texas A&M and Mississippi State didn't even try to schedule someone with a pulse.

Look back at the Pac-12 - UCLA plays 9 conference games against Arizona, Arizona State, USC, Utah, Oregon plus had Texas, UVA, and Memphis OOC. UVa is one of the worst teams on their schedule and UCLA never plays FCS opponents.

Some of you are giving the SEC way too much credit - the SEC is the best conference but not by as much as you think.

In reality the NCAA ruined college football when they allowed conferneces to split into 2 divisions. Conferences ahould have been kept at a manageable number so that everyone could play everyone every year.

2014 Football Power Index
RK TEAM W-L PROJ W-L WIN OUT% CONF WIN% REM SOS RK FPI
1 Alabama, SEC 9-1 11.2 - 1.6 41.7 47.5 50 27.7
2 Oregon, Pac-12 9-1 11.5 - 1.5 58.9 69.2 42 25.4
3 Georgia, SEC 8-2 10.2 - 2.7 43.4 38.5 55 24.8
4 Ole Miss, SEC 8-2 9.4 - 2.8 35.3 7.3 4 24.7
5 Baylor, Big 12 8-1 10.7 - 1.3 68.2 73.8 52 24.3
6 Auburn, SEC 7-3 8.3 - 3.7 32.5 0.0 63 23.8
7 Florida State, ACC 10-0 12.4 - 0.6 52.4 75.0 34 22.5
8 Ohio State, Big Ten 9-1 11.5 - 1.5 53.2 61.9 51 22.4
9 Oklahoma, Big 12 7-3 8.9 - 3.1 89.3 0.0 90 21.4
10 Mississippi St, SEC 9-1 10.3 - 1.8 26.2 4.4 44 20.5
11 TCU, Big 12 9-1 10.6 - 1.4 64.8 21.8 60 20.4
12 Michigan State, Big Ten 8-2 9.7 - 2.3 68.8 0.1 56 19.1
13 UCLA, Pac-12 8-2 9.4 - 3.0 13.4 14.4 15 19.0
14 Wisconsin, Big Ten 8-2 10.0 - 2.9 27.5 36.1 25 18.9
15 USC, Pac-12 7-3 8.2 - 4.1 15.5 8.8 10 18.6
16 LSU, SEC 7-4 7.5 - 4.5 49.3 0.0 6 18.4
17 Arkansas, SEC 5-5 6.0 - 6.0 23.1 0.0 9 16.9
18 Kansas State, Big 12 7-2 8.7 - 3.3 11.3 4.4 28 15.6
19 Texas A&M, SEC 7-4 7.5 - 4.5 50.7 0.0 12 15.3
20 Stanford, Pac-12 5-5 6.0 - 6.0 22.0 0.0 16 15.2

In reality the NCAA ruined college football when they allowed conferneces to split into 2 divisions. Conferences ahould have been kept at a manageable number so that everyone could play everyone every year.
I do agree with that. I would like to see 10 team conferences with 9 conference games.
Championship games are a waste.

I forgot that Arkansas crushed Northern Illinois this year. That is a pretty good win as well.

I agree. I like the Conf. Championship, but if all conferences don't have them than none should have them.

2014 Football Power Index
RK TEAM W-L PROJ W-L WIN OUT% CONF WIN% REM SOS RK FPI
1 Alabama, SEC 9-1 11.2 - 1.6 41.7 47.5 50 27.7
2 Oregon, Pac-12 9-1 11.5 - 1.5 58.9 69.2 42 25.4
3 Georgia, SEC 8-2 10.2 - 2.7 43.4 38.5 55 24.8
4 Ole Miss, SEC 8-2 9.4 - 2.8 35.3 7.3 4 24.7
5 Baylor, Big 12 8-1 10.7 - 1.3 68.2 73.8 52 24.3
6 Auburn, SEC 7-3 8.3 - 3.7 32.5 0.0 63 23.8
7 Florida State, ACC 10-0 12.4 - 0.6 52.4 75.0 34 22.5
8 Ohio State, Big Ten 9-1 11.5 - 1.5 53.2 61.9 51 22.4
9 Oklahoma, Big 12 7-3 8.9 - 3.1 89.3 0.0 90 21.4
10 Mississippi St, SEC 9-1 10.3 - 1.8 26.2 4.4 44 20.5
11 TCU, Big 12 9-1 10.6 - 1.4 64.8 21.8 60 20.4
12 Michigan State, Big Ten 8-2 9.7 - 2.3 68.8 0.1 56 19.1
13 UCLA, Pac-12 8-2 9.4 - 3.0 13.4 14.4 15 19.0
14 Wisconsin, Big Ten 8-2 10.0 - 2.9 27.5 36.1 25 18.9
15 USC, Pac-12 7-3 8.2 - 4.1 15.5 8.8 10 18.6
16 LSU, SEC 7-4 7.5 - 4.5 49.3 0.0 6 18.4
17 Arkansas, SEC 5-5 6.0 - 6.0 23.1 0.0 9 16.9
18 Kansas State, Big 12 7-2 8.7 - 3.3 11.3 4.4 28 15.6
19 Texas A&M, SEC 7-4 7.5 - 4.5 50.7 0.0 12 15.3
20 Stanford, Pac-12 5-5 6.0 - 6.0 22.0 0.0 16 15.2
There is a reason you have to use your eyes and not just computers. Do you really think OU is the 9th best team in the country - especially after they barely beat Texas, got beaten by TCU and Kansas State, and got routed by Baylor?

Why is Auburn ahead of FSU and OSU?

Arkansas at 17th? Come on they have 5 losses and just 2 good wins - LSU and Northern Illinois. Why is VT not 17th since we beat Ohio State and Duke and are 5-5.

Do you think an A&M team that has one good win over Auburn and rest over mediocre to bad teams while losing to everyone else with a pulse is 19th?

The money hungry conferences invented conference championship games. They all are a waste, and can do more harm than good. If a team goes undefeated in regular season they should not have to play a conference championship game. When dividing conference into divisions, you never get equal divisions. The ACC thought when they done it, FSU and Miami would play in conference championship game every year until the Lord returns. My memory is getting bad, but I cannot recall FSU and Miami ever meeting in conference championship game, not even when they put it in the state of Florida to accommodate the 2 schools the first years of the thing.

vtpmt81,

I agree with you, but unfortuantly I've been woring out of the house today and these are the rankings they keep bringing up.

Why are you only focusing on part of the schedule? In addition to its own division, Oregon played 4 teams from the Pac South, including 8-2 UCLA, 8-2 Arizona, and 7-3 Utah. Meanwhile, Miss. St. plays 5-6 Ky. and 3-7 Vandy from the other side. And, keep in mind, some of the Pac teams Oregon plays could have one fewer loss if they played an extra cupcake and only an 8 game conference schedule like the SEC does.

vtpmt81,

I agree with you, but unfortuantly I've been woring out of the house today and these are the rankings they keep bringing up.
And, it is sickening that they use this. Ga. lost to 5-5 South Carolina and got routed by 5-4 Florida, and we are supposed to think they should be #3 because an ESPN biased Power Index says they are? Auburn has lost not once, not twice, but 3 times, including once to a bad A&M team, and once when they got routed by Ga., and is a couple of goal line turnovers away(against K-St. and Ole Miss) from having 5 losses, and we are supposed to accept that they are #6 because the Power Index says so? The only thing more ridiculous than this index is media guys actually using it to make a point.

I think Auburn, Georgia and South Carolina are all better than their record indicates. Georgia is hardest to figure out. The Bulldogs always lose at least one game they should win easily.

Let's see. If I take all conference games that Mississippi st played were 51 and 32, .614 winning percentage. Oregon teams in conference are 47 and 34, .580 winning percentage. I'm still missing the point, how is it ridiculous Mississippi st schedule. Just the facts. If the argument is that playing Michigan st out of conference makes for a better team, go for it. But in conference, facts speak for themselves.

I think Auburn, Georgia and South Carolina are all better than their record indicates. Georgia is hardest to figure out. The Bulldogs always lose at least one game they should win easily.
Auburn and Georgia have good records. I agree that Auburn shouldn't have lost to A&M - but hey if you fumble the snap twice late in the fourth quarter then you deserve to lose. Auburn could have easily lost to Ole Miss - so I think their record is right where it should be.

I still don't understand how Georgia was routed by Florida and how they lost to South Carolina. Georgia really has 2 bad losses. But they have 2 impressive wins at Missouri and vs. Auburn. However - if they beat GT and Alabama then I really don't have much to say since that would give them 5 really nice wins - I am including Clemson as well.

South Carolina has a bad record because their defense is terrible - they aren't better than their record indicates.

FSU
Bama
Oregon
Ohio State

If these teams win out, they are in. OSU is the most improved team in the nation and if they win out will likely finish with a strong win over a highly ranked Wisky team in the conference championship.

Let's see. If I take all conference games that Mississippi st played were 51 and 32, .614 winning percentage. Oregon teams in conference are 47 and 34, .580 winning percentage. I'm still missing the point, how is it ridiculous Mississippi st schedule. Just the facts. If the argument is that playing Michigan st out of conference makes for a better team, go for it. But in conference, facts speak for themselves.You are definitely missing the point. And, don't feel bad because most of the country misses the point and is easily fooled by SEC bias. First of all, you are ignoring the fact that Oregon plays 9 conference games along with Mich. St., which means Oregon plays 2 more major conference teams than Miss. St. does. Secondly, you are counting overall record, which includes A LOT of OOC cupcakes for the SEC teams Miss. St. played. Trust me......you definitely do not want to go here, but since you asked for it, here you go:

Miss. St. will play 8 SEC opponents. Those 8 SEC opponents play a total of 32 OOC games. Out of those 32 OOC games, 27 are against non majors.

Oregon will play 9 Pac opponents. Those 9 Pac opponents will play a total of 27 OOC games. Out of those 27 OOC games, 18 are against non majors.

How can Miss. St.'s SEC opponents not have good records when they play 27 games against weak non major teams? The SEC, as a whole, will play 44 games against non major teams, while the Pac will play 25. Do you really not see the difference in SEC and Pac scheduling?

Ohio st doesn't belong.

Of the one loss teams, their one loss is the worst loss. And they only have the MichSt win, which may prove to be no big deal. B10 sucks. If they get in, it is aTV thing.

Even Oregon is a stretch. Is losing to AZ better than losing to WV? Meh. Maaaaybe.
Losing to Az isn't like losing to Baylor.

And just look at the wins some of the one loss teams have. anOhioStUniv doesn't belong in top 4... No way.
Their "big win" vs minn was close (one TD), very unlike TCU's complete dismantling of Minn (23 pts). TCU beat #4, #7, #15, and #20.
Baylor beat #9 and #15.

And the SEC wins for Alabama &MissSt are impressive. #s 8, 6, & 2 (missSt) and #s 1, 16, 21 for Bama.
MissSt's loss is better than Alabama's.
Oregon? #s 7, 17, & 18
TCU accomplishments > Oregon's.

2 SEC
1 ACC
1 B12

..if it was picked today.

Originally posted by Hoos19NC:
The only way TCU or Baylor gets in over Oregen is if they lose again.
Yeah, probably. That Nike $$$ counts.
Wins and losses,.... TCU's wins are better, and their loss is better, than Oregon's.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT