ADVERTISEMENT

Question about Jerod Evans recruitment....

mrsensitive

Hokie Hall of Fame
May 29, 2001
We (Auburn) have really stumped our toe the last two years in recruiting by passing on Lamar Jackson now at Louisville and Jerod Evans.

Auburn had a shot early on with both - in fact probably led for both - and drug its' feet and lost both.

The Evans recruitment is particularly perplexing. Our QB - Sean White - is pretty good but he's small. He only goes about 190 although the program lists him at 200 and hasn't made it through a season yet and may have avascular necrosis which would end his career. Gus Malzahn seems to want to play everybody but Sean because he doesn't fit the Cam Newton/Nick Marshall DTQB mold (who does anyway???) and the guys behind him can't beat their way out of a wet paper bag.

Evans is a beast and with him at our helm there is no doubt (in my mind anyway) that we are a 10, maybe 11 win team this year with our defense.

Can somebody shed some light on how he wound up in Blacksburg? I'm having a debate on The Bunker at AuburnSports.com.

We (Auburn) have really stumped our toe the last two years in recruiting by passing on Lamar Jackson now at Louisville and Jerod Evans.

Auburn had a shot early on with both - in fact probably led for both - and drug its' feet and lost both.

The Evans recruitment is particularly perplexing. Our QB - Sean White - is pretty good but he's small. He only goes about 190 although the program lists him at 200 and hasn't made it through a season yet and may have avascular necrosis which would end his career. Gus Malzahn seems to want to play everybody but Sean because he doesn't fit the Cam Newton/Nick Marshall DTQB mold (who does anyway???) and the guys behind him can't beat their way out of a wet paper bag.

Evans is a beast and with him at our helm there is no doubt (in my mind anyway) that we are a 10, maybe 11 win team this year with our defense.

Can somebody shed some light on how he wound up in Blacksburg? I'm having a debate on The Bunker at AuburnSports.com.
Evans had a strong relationship with the new coach.

Fuente specifically targeted Evans to be the next Paxton while he was still at Memphis. The style of offense is what captured Evan's interest, and he was committed to Memphis and Fuente specifically to play in that offense.

Despite what you might have heard to the contrary, I don't think Auburn was ever a serious player for Evans. Your offense isn't the style of offense Evans wanted to play in.

Later on, when Fuente was hired at VT, then Evans came along as part of the package, since he was already committed to playing for Fuente.

Fuente has recruited Evans since he coached in Texas. Evans ended up in Juco and Fuente recruited him to Memphis to follow Lynch, but Fuente accepted the VT job and Evans followed the coach he knew the best and whose system he fit the best. I think this is a fairly accurate summary.

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
Our program's succcess mostly rests on the shoulders of Evans. Never has a QB led our team in rushing also. Without him we are an average team this year.

If another great talent does not follow his footsteps to Blacksburg, then we will not continue to play at this high level.

I hope our coaching staff has, or will find, another great QB.

Our program's succcess mostly rests on the shoulders of Evans. Never has a QB led our team in rushing also. Without him we are an average team this year.

If another great talent does not follow his footsteps to Blacksburg, then we will not continue to play at this high level.

Fuente seems rather good at finding and developing QBs.......

Reactions: HeaksManley
I am concerned with recruiting and developing a great O-line. You get that and then all thing offensively are possible. Even a great mobile QB has difficulty when defenders are in his face all day.

Josh Jackson, a redshirt freshman from Ohio was a 4 star recruit. 6'1, 210 out of the Vick, Taylor, Randall mode as a duel threat. We may already have the next good QB.

Fuente has recruited Evans since he coached in Texas. Evans ended up in Juco and Fuente recruited him to Memphis to follow Lynch, but Fuente accepted the VT job and Evans followed the coach he knew the best and whose system he fit the best. I think this is a fairly accurate summary.

Thanks. Sounds like the we might have led was just noise.

Josh Jackson, a redshirt freshman from Ohio was a 4 star recruit. 6'1, 210 out of the Vick, Taylor, Randall mode as a duel threat. We may already have the next good QB.
Jackson was very close to being the qb this season, don't be shocked if he starts next season this kid is SPECIAL

Biggest need has got to be O-Line. That was pretty obvious against Clemson. A better job run and pass blocking and we win that game. The Hoos are saying they've got Becton locked up as a recruit which makes no sense to me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT