ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Ol' Ball Coach

BigDaddyHokie

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 24, 2007
Man after last year I though he was 1 step away from taking over the SEC with all the good recruiting he's done. What's up w/ the Gamecocks?

Originally posted by BigDaddyHokie:
Man after last year I though he was 1 step away from taking over the SEC with all the good recruiting he's done. What's up w/ the Gamecocks?
Every dog has his day. I think they are running into some resistance on the recruiting trail because of the loses. Spurrier just said he would be back for 2015.

What blows me away is that Spurrier is older than Beamer and appears 15 years younger.

Originally posted by VTSmitty:

What blows me away is that Spurrier is older than Beamer and appears 15 years younger.
If that was the worst comment of the week regarding Beamer, he might just be able to smile one time.

1. His recruiting wasn't that good.

2. He's getting old and it shows.

3. South Carolina was never on the verge of dominating the SEC. They just filled the void in the SEC East when Tennessee and Florida fell apart.

4. South Carolina is still South Carolina. It was only a matter of time before they returned to their rightful place in the CFB pecking order.

This post was edited on 11/5 12:54 PM by Flashman

Well, he does use some coachspeak but he also has the ability to speak in today's tongue.. He's interesting and humorous as well.
I've gone back over some of Coach Beamer's interviews a little and he spoke much faster and with a lot of determination. Today he does a lot of the same interview,same interview,same interview......................

Flashman, if you keep up with recruiting at all, you would know that South Carolina is doing very well. We would change places with them without hesitation. I think South Carolina is considerably better than years past, and even though this year is very disappointing, don't be surprised with what happens the next season. They are in much better shape that we are, even though they face an SEC schedule which fortunately, we do not.

Originally posted by blue bomber:
Flashman, if you keep up with recruiting at all, you would know that South Carolina is doing very well. We would change places with them without hesitation. I think South Carolina is considerably better than years past, and even though this year is very disappointing, don't be surprised with what happens the next season. They are in much better shape that we are, even though they face an SEC schedule which fortunately, we do not.
South Carolina's recruiting might be better than Virginia Tech's but that don't mean squat because it's only in the middle of the pack compared with the rest of the SEC. South Carolina is considerably better than in years past but considering that their program was a dumpster fire through much of the 90's that's not saying much. Spurrier (and predecessor Lou Holtz) brought stability to the program but he hasn't been able to turn it into a consistent national power. Basically, SC only rose because Tennessee exploded, Florida imploded, and Georgia has been too inconsistent to dominate the division the way they should have. Sure, they might be better next season (they really can't be much worse) but with Tennessee getting their program slowly back on track and with Kentucky appearing to be rising don't be betting on any divisional, much less SEC, titles anytime soon. As for South Carolina being in better shape than Virginia Tech, that's completely irrelevant to any discussion of their program.

This post was edited on 11/6 1:25 PM by Flashman

the burn scar gives him extra folds, yielding the old man look. IIWII

I think Beamer would kick Spurrier's butt in a fistfight.
wink.r191677.gif

Originally posted by BigDaddyHokie:
1) He lost Connor Shaw, who won games like Tyrod Taylor did at VT. Indeed, both quarterbacks made their offenses look a lot better than it actually was;

2) He lost clowney and his other defensive stars.

VT and USCe are built almost exactly alike, emphasizing a strong defense, good running game and just enough of a passing game to keep the secondary honest.

When all the pieces do not fall into place, however, this is the result.

Yet Beamer and Spurrier couldnt be more opposite in their philosophies. Ive heard they are big golfing buddies, I couldnt image they talk much football philosophy along the way. One with the "fun and gun" and the other playing "not to lose".

Originally posted by VT/UK Rondo:

Yet Beamer and Spurrier couldnt be more opposite in their philosophies. Ive heard they are big golfing buddies, I couldnt image they talk much football philosophy along the way. One with the "fun and gun" and the other playing "not to lose".
Not so.

The problem is that Spurrier doesn't win big when he has to resort to the Fun n' Gun. This year, he lost four games due to his insistence to throw the ball when he should have let his running game run out the clock. Against Florida in OT, he finally decided to run the ball, with an occasional pass mixed in, and he prevailed.

Look at the total offenses of VT and USCe since 2008:

Year------------VT Total Off---USCe Total Off-------------------VT Total Def---USCe Total Def

2008......................103d.........97th..............................................7th...............13th
2009........................50th........82d.............................................12th...............15th
2010........................41st........47th............................................52d................46th
2011........................35th........74th............................................10th.................3d
2012........................81st........82d.............................................18th...............11th
2013......................101st........36th..............................................4th...............19th

Average.................69th........70th.............................................17th...............18th

Beamer's and Spurrier's philosophies have been identical since 2008 (perhaps Shane and Ward influenced SOS?). They are two of the most similar programs in the nation.
This post was edited on 11/24 3:52 PM by Cavgator

Welcome Cavgator with your informative posts. Very interesting and a distraction from our woes.

This post was edited on 11/24 10:25 PM by BigDaddyHokie

http://www.contextnet.com/Focus%20Papers/Business_Strategy/STRATEGY%20Playing%20Not%20to%20Lose.pdf

I was referencing more their different philosophies than their actual results/outcome. They couldnt be more different.
At Florida, his philosophy was starkly different, but at USCe, they are virtually identical. I've been following Spurrier since he was a player at Florida. I know The Ball Coach.

Blake Seiker knows business strategy, but he doesn't know Florida football. The late 1980s was indeed a conservative one but this was because they getting fom under sanctions. They haven't played on a level playing field 1984 and 1985 - two years when they went 9-1-1 each year and NO ONE accused Galen Hall of playing not to lose.

This is the second business person I know that used Spurrier as an example and the other one, a woman from a huge real estate firm, also didn't understand the circumstances surrounding Florida in the late 1980s.

From 2005 through 2010, and 2014, Spurrier averaged 5.5 losses per year. Many of those losses were due to Spurrier's recklessness as a playcaller. Audaciousness is one thing, but recklessness is another.
This post was edited on 11/25 9:07 PM by Cavgator

Originally posted by Flashman:

Originally posted by blue bomber:
South Carolina's recruiting might be better than Virginia Tech's but that don't mean squat because it's only in the middle of the pack compared with the rest of the SEC. South Carolina is considerably better than in years past but considering that their program was a dumpster fire through much of the 90's that's not saying much. Spurrier (and predecessor Lou Holtz) brought stability to the program but he hasn't been able to turn it into a consistent national power. Basically, SC only rose because Tennessee exploded, Florida imploded, and Georgia has been too inconsistent to dominate the division the way they should have. Sure, they might be better next season (they really can't be much worse) but with Tennessee getting their program slowly back on track and with Kentucky appearing to be rising don't be betting on any divisional, much less SEC, titles anytime soon. As for South Carolina being in better shape than Virginia Tech, that's completely irrelevant to any discussion of their program.

This post was edited on 11/6 1:25 PM by Flashman
Virginia Tech's recruiting has been in the middle of the pack in ACC as well when they won four ACC titles. Tye were out-recruited by FSU, Miami and Clemson, with an occasional fourth school mixed in. Look at star average rankings:

2004: 5th
2005: 6th
2006: 5th
2007: 8th
2008: 6th
2009: 5th
2010: 4th
2011: 5th
2012: 4th
2013: 4th
2014: 5th

Avg: 5th

Thats just it. At least Spurrier takes some risks (wrong or right). Frank Beamer is anything but reckless. The late Woody Hayes wasnt this damn conservative. thats why I say they are polar opposites in philosophy despite their teams stats.

Thats just it. At least Spurrier takes some risks (wrong or right). Frank Beamer is anything but reckless. The late Woody Hayes wasnt this damn conservative. thats why I say they are polar opposites in philosophy despite their teams stats.
Perhaps, but if Spurrier chose to emulate Beamer's conservative nature, he would have won three more games this year.

Originally posted by Cavgator:

Perhaps, but if Spurrier chose to emulate Beamer's conservative nature, he would have won three more games this year.
Spurrier's less conservative nature probably scores more than 0 points against 2-8 Wake Forest.

I wish there was a way to tweak the rules to force teams not to play conservatively. Being conservative is the number 1 cause of defeats, other than having no defense.

I gotta agree with ya there. I watched the Kentucky game and SC was killing the cats with the run. They couldnt stop the run at all and out of nowhere SC starts trying to throw the ball. They had already come close to a few picks earlier in the game and BAM there you go pick6, Game over! If Spurrier would have just kept running the ball, they win that game easily.

On the flip side, Beamer keeps doing the same thing whether its working or not.

I gotta agree with ya there. I watched the Kentucky game and SC was killing the cats with the run. They couldnt stop the run at all and out of nowhere SC starts trying to throw the ball. They had already come close to a few picks earlier in the game and BAM there you go pick6, Game over! If Spurrier would have just kept running the ball, they win that game easily.

On the flip side, Beamer keeps doing the same thing whether its working or not.
They are both very old and past their prime. I would love nothing more than to see Frank retire, get his name on the stadium along with Lane, erect a statue of him (and the Fuller parents), and find a younger, hungry coach who appreciates not only strong defenses, but also 21st Century offense.

This is really funny. I went to a number of OSU games and watched them on the tube a lot. Woody was the most conservative coach I have ever known. His lack of having a passer was OK in the big but when they got to the Rose Bowl USC would kill them with the West Coast O. Finally Woodis is convinced he has to have a passer. He recruits a QB who turns out to be a criminal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT