ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Ranking for 2021

pahokie77

Signee
Jan 7, 2008
I saw where VT was ranked as the 10th best 2021 recruiting class. That is the 10th best class in the ACC (not the nation). We were ranked as 43 in the Nation. No way we are going to compete on a National level anytime soon.

I saw where VT was ranked as the 10th best 2021 recruiting class. That is the 10th best class in the ACC (not the nation). We were ranked as 43 in the Nation. No way we are going to compete on a National level anytime soon.
........and that's the primary reason why I think our AD made a mistake of keeping Fuente. He cannot recruit and should have been let go.

VT is not going to win too much with 2-star and 3-star players. And, considering that most of VT's 3-star recruits are low 3-star, and a few mid 3-star recruits. This is a level of recruiting that you might see when you have a coaching change, and the new coach is still not determined by the recruit signing date. See the South Carolina Gamecocks recruiting class. Yea, there are always some diamonds in the rough, i.e. like Clemson's Hunter Renfrow. But that is more the exception and not the norm. You have to turn this around somehow VT!!!

I've noticed this trend for the last 4 years, I do want to say I hope the VT recruits the best of luck . Typically, our players do not give up and play hard on every down. I respect what they do and hope those 3 stars play like 5 stars. But the truth is you have to have bigger, stronger, faster and better talent to win. We need to attract some of the 4 star players to compete in the ACC.

I've noticed this trend for the last 4 years, I do want to say I hope the VT recruits the best of luck . Typically, our players do not give up and play hard on every down. I respect what they do and hope those 3 stars play like 5 stars. But the truth is you have to have bigger, stronger, faster and better talent to win. We need to attract some of the 4 star players to compete in the ACC.
Well, to attract some of those 4 stars, we have to start by replacing the HC. Our AD will do that after the 2021 season which would be our 3rd straight losing seasons.

Coach Fuente did well at Memphis because he surrounded himself with good coaches who recruited well enough at most positions and they did get an exceptional QB and decent WRs. Look at how well Memphis did after he left and that coach that took over got a big promotion and is at FSU now. Memphis is still going strong.

Fuente needs to do that now at VT and hopefully Hamilton and Tapp will do the job.

If VT is serious about turning the program around they offer Doc Holiday a position. Hes a good WR coach, recruiter and knows the regional culture.

VT is not going to win too much with 2-star and 3-star players. And, considering that most of VT's 3-star recruits are low 3-star, and a few mid 3-star recruits. This is a level of recruiting that you might see when you have a coaching change, and the new coach is still not determined by the recruit signing date. See the South Carolina Gamecocks recruiting class. Yea, there are always some diamonds in the rough, i.e. like Clemson's Hunter Renfrow. But that is more the exception and not the norm. You have to turn this around somehow VT!!!
Got to get the best we can and coach ‘em up. Beamer seldom got 4 stars. Besides, the top programs will continue to get the cream of the crop and outside the top 4 - 10 programs, Tech as well as 120 others can’t compete.
This is the breakdown by stars recruited since 2017 for the top three programs:
5 stars: Alabama - 12; Clemson - 11; OSU - 14
4 stars: Alabama - 58; Clemson - 35; OSU - 52
Top 100 recruits: : Alabama - 41; Clemson -23; OSU - 25
Maybe a half dozen teams will get a few of the top recruits and, therefore, compete every few years. The rest of us will have an opportunity like we did in 1999 once in a decade or two. That’s the reality with the evolution of college football in this era. Look at the disparities in everything from facilities to recruiting budgets to the money paid to recruits for the “full cost of education”.
As long as the playing field is this uneven, 120 teams will never make it to the playoffs. And going to the playoffs is why the top recruits choose the schools they do.

Reactions: VT/UK Rondo
And why did Doc Holiday get fired?
From what I read it was the WV governor wanting friend and former herd coach Pruett back. Regardless of the reason, Holiday has alot of experience and a reputation for coaching WRs. He also recruits the region and Florida well.

Got to get the best we can and coach ‘em up. Beamer seldom got 4 stars. Besides, the top programs will continue to get the cream of the crop and outside the top 4 - 10 programs, Tech as well as 120 others can’t compete.
Maybe a half dozen teams will get a few of the top recruits and, therefore, compete every few years. The rest of us will have an opportunity like we did in 1999 once in a decade or two. That’s the reality with the evolution of college football in this era. Look at the disparities in everything from facilities to recruiting budgets to the money paid to recruits for the “full cost of education”.
As long as the playing field is this uneven, 120 teams will never make it to the playoffs. And going to the playoffs is why the top recruits choose the schools they do.
It's going to take a innovative outside the box plan to recruit, develope and manage the roster. Beamer and Foster were good at it for their era. Times have changed. We have a dozen RBs on a team where the QB gets half the rush attempts. I'm not sure what this staffs plan is.

I agree that the College Playoff as currently configured favors just a few teams. It is not fair that some teams such as Cincinnati this year and Central Florida a few years back can go undefeated and not even get a shot at the NC. I do not plan to even watch the NC game tonight because it is a rigged system (and everyone knows it).

My system would be that every conference with at least 12 teams and a conference championship game would get their conference champion game winner into the playoffs. The remaining teams would be seated. There would be 12 teams in the playoffs. The top 4 ranked teams would get a bye and would play in major New Year Day bowl games that constitute the quarter finals. The next four ranked teams would play the last 4 ranked teams (either at home or in early-mid December bowl games - I prefer the latter with a location where both teams fans can reasonably attend). The winners would play the 4 teams with a bye. There would be semi-final games at Major Bowl locations approximately 1-2 weeks after the New Year Games (on a Saturday). This would create 11 bowls of interest ($ for the bowls) for every college football fan. The NC game would be the Saturday between the NFL Conference Championship Games and the Super Bowl (usually a no football weekend). At worst the teams to make the NC would play 2 more games than they do now (most likely just 1). The benefits of this system is that more teams make the playoffs and the talent should be distributed better (You would not have to attend AL, OSU, Clemson, ND to have a shot at the playoffs). Also makes for a more exciting bowl season rather than the crap we see now (only 3 games of interest and they are the same teams every year - so how interesting is that). Just my thoughts.

I agree that the College Playoff as currently configured favors just a few teams. It is not fair that some teams such as Cincinnati this year and Central Florida a few years back can go undefeated and not even get a shot at the NC. I do not plan to even watch the NC game tonight because it is a rigged system (and everyone knows it).

My system would be that every conference with at least 12 teams and a conference championship game would get their conference champion game winner into the playoffs. The remaining teams would be seated. There would be 12 teams in the playoffs. The top 4 ranked teams would get a bye and would play in major New Year Day bowl games that constitute the quarter finals. The next four ranked teams would play the last 4 ranked teams (either at home or in early-mid December bowl games - I prefer the latter with a location where both teams fans can reasonably attend). The winners would play the 4 teams with a bye. There would be semi-final games at Major Bowl locations approximately 1-2 weeks after the New Year Games (on a Saturday). This would create 11 bowls of interest ($ for the bowls) for every college football fan. The NC game would be the Saturday between the NFL Conference Championship Games and the Super Bowl (usually a no football weekend). At worst the teams to make the NC would play 2 more games than they do now (most likely just 1). The benefits of this system is that more teams make the playoffs and the talent should be distributed better (You would not have to attend AL, OSU, Clemson, ND to have a shot at the playoffs). Also makes for a more exciting bowl season rather than the crap we see now (only 3 games of interest and they are the same teams every year - so how interesting is that). Just my thoughts.
That's too many games. I think 8 teams is enough. Take the Power 5 conf. champs, plus 3 wildcard teams and play 4 QF's, 2 SF's, and the NC game. The 3 wildcard teams can be the Cinci, UCF, or 1 loss SEC runner up or whoever.

It really only adds 1 more game for each team (unless a lower team makes a run to the CFP NC, Creates a lot of interest and maybe some players stay in-state (or nearly so).

Next year CFP teams - Clemson, Alabama, Oklahoma, Texas A&M or Georgia.

No way! We are terrible. Fuente needs to go. Getting transfers is not a sustainable winning plan

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT