ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

db4steve2

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2009
Why is VT struggling to attract and retain top recruits? There always so much excitement over the run on 3 and 2 star recruits, but am I the only one completely underwhelmed by these commitments? I understand we need viable role players and that talent development can take a 2 to a 3, 3 to a 4 star, etc., but this feels like the program is down. Is this really what we should expect with Fuente’s staff after several years now?

Why is VT struggling to attract and retain top recruits? There always so much excitement over the run on 3 and 2 star recruits, but am I the only one completely underwhelmed by these commitments? I understand we need viable role players and that talent development can take a 2 to a 3, 3 to a 4 star, etc., but this feels like the program is down. Is this really what we should expect with Fuente’s staff after several years now?
Fuente himself is a lousy recruiter, and his staff is below average as a whole. Specifically, the offensive staff can't recruit, and the defensive staff is mostly new without any connections with the coaches in the area. That is why they are having to go out to Texas, California etc. to recruit. Mack Brown at UNC is about twice his age yet is outrecruiting Fuente. After 2 years, it was obvious to many of us that Fuente was a bad hire - can't recruit and is so-so as a coach. My gut feeling is that unless recruiting picks up somehow (I really don't see how that would happen), he will be gone in 2 years.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT