ADVERTISEMENT

RichRod/Bud combo

hokiefanforlife

Hokie Hall of Fame
Dec 29, 2003
My fellow Hokies, I have ZERO inside info but as Jason pointed out there are some rumblings that old RR is in the running (if not the leader) to replace Coach Beamer. What else do we know or at least think we know?

1) We all know that Whit didn't want to fire Beamer and likely wouldn't have, IMHO. Did they work out a retirement deal to save Whit the trouble?

2) Whit and Beamer are friends with RR. Whit's connections go back to RR's time at WVU.

3) Bud's contract isn't set up well for VT unless he is retained at VT (DC or HC). Keeping him helps balance the budget, a budget that already pays two former basketball coaches.

4) It has been reported that the next HC will be offensive minded (so no on Bud, but a plus for RR).

5) Early reports of Beamer's retirement came from Arizona.

Word is that RR wants out of Arizona and would like the job at VT. Given the current season he's having, a RR hire could certainly come with strings. First, I could see Whit keeping Bud, Gray, Stiney and Shane as part of a deal to have Frank retire. Stiney moves to recruiting and Shane coaches Special Teams and works with recruiting. Bud moves to Assoc. HC and DC. Gray stays put. The rest of the staff who knows. Also, Whit could continue to build around the recruiting department with a familiar face in Stiney.

While I don't agree with a RR hire at the moment I'm trying to be objective. There are more than a few people out there that believe Whit's primary target is RR.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.