ADVERTISEMENT

RIP VTSmitty

Jun 9, 2012
It is with great sadness in my heart that I have the unfortunate responsibility of announcing the passing of a dear friend of mine and a long time poster that all of you knew well. I have known Todd for a number of years and he was a friend like very few ever know. I truly hope that many of you here had the opportunity to meet such a great man and a good and genuine soul.

http://kendallfuneralhome.com/main/...m3=show_obit.php&fh=Kendall2&offset=8&id=1264

You are and will be sorely missed, my friend.

Man, this sucks... I pray that his family, in particular his wife and daughter, quickly find peace and comfort in the promises of God... and that his family is blessed spectacularly in the weeks, months, and years ahead.

:-(

One of his biggest concerns was that his daughter get her degree and figuring out how to make sure that financially it wasn't a problem. Some of you may know that he frequented the national recruiting board (Soundoff). Many of his friends there are devastated by the news. Some of us have started a Go Fund Me page for donations towards his daughters continued education.

Link to that:

Link to Smitty's farewell thread on Soundoff: https://forums.rivals.com/threads/today-we-are-all-hokies-rip-vtsmitty.383406/#post-9809133

It is with great sadness in my heart that I have the unfortunate responsibility of announcing the passing of a dear friend of mine and a long time poster that all of you knew well. I have known Todd for a number of years and he was a friend like very few ever know. I truly hope that many of you here had the opportunity to meet such a great man and a good and genuine soul.

http://kendallfuneralhome.com/main/...m3=show_obit.php&fh=Kendall2&offset=8&id=1264

Oh this is terrible news. VT was my favorite hokie poster. He and I followed each other on our boards and always had kind words for each other and our daughters at our respective schools. This is a setback and I will miss him dearly and now think of him often as I follow VT. He represented the hokie nation with pride and honor and treated the opponent with class. Please contribute to a great hokie's family.

Very sad to see this post about Smitty. Has been a privilege to get to know him on these message boards. Thoughts and prayers to his family.

I'm not sure if you have a way of contacting him or not, but if you would try, I know it would mean the world to him and Smitty.

Luther Maddy visited with Smitty's Mom at her assisted living facility many times. If there is any way, I am sure he would like to know and without a doubt, she could use another visit from him during such a difficult time. Thank you for anything you may be able to do in regards to that.

Reactions: UofTNfan
I'm not sure if you have a way of contacting him or not, but if you would try, I know it would mean the world to him and Smitty.

Luther Maddy visited with Smitty's Mom at her assisted living facility many times. If there is any way, I am sure he would like to know and without a doubt, she could use another visit from him during such a difficult time. Thank you for anything you may be able to do in regards to that.
I'll see what I can do

Wow, I just talked to him not even a week ago it seems like. Very sad. Smitty was a thorough VT loyalist with over 70,000 messages on rivals boards, and over 100,000 on another site. I'm gonna miss that sonofagun.
I'm going to miss that man so much! He said he felt he was fighting a cold (this is second hand) last week. He started to feel a little better and.... man. I'm going to go cry.

Breaks my heart. One of the wittiest guys I've ever come across.
Many conversations over the years on TSL and over here.
He will be missed.
Pax Christi, Smitty.

*******UPDATE*******

From another board:

The family is very appreciative of all the good thoughts given to him, and especially the GoFund page for his daughter. Here is what was sent to me from a family member:

"He passed on 1/7/16 at approximately midnight in open heart surgery from an arterial aneurysm below the heart and an aortic dissection with kidney complications.
He was on a job with his uncle and experienced severe pain….drove himself to Christiansburg hospital – was air lifted to Roanoke. They stabilized him and he went to surgery about 2;00 pm on Thursday for an 8 hour procedure…..he made it through 7 hours and passed."

*******UPDATE*******

From another board:

The family is very appreciative of all the good thoughts given to him, and especially the GoFund page for his daughter. Here is what was sent to me from a family member:

"He passed on 1/7/16 at approximately midnight in open heart surgery from an arterial aneurysm below the heart and an aortic dissection with kidney complications.
He was on a job with his uncle and experienced severe pain….drove himself to Christiansburg hospital – was air lifted to Roanoke. They stabilized him and he went to surgery about 2;00 pm on Thursday for an 8 hour procedure…..he made it through 7 hours and passed."

Did not expect this when just dropping by. VT was always a good guy. So sorry to see this.

Shit, I thought this was a joke at first given the general tenor and light-heartedness of Smitty's posts and the kinds of responses he'd get from fans all over the place. I still wish it was. :( This is horrible, horrible news. You will be sorely missed, Smitty. RIP

Shit, I thought this was a joke at first given the general tenor and light-heartedness of Smitty's posts and the kinds of responses he'd get from fans all over the place. I still wish it was. :( This is horrible, horrible news. You will be sorely missed, Smitty. RIP
Yea me too. You can see he had a lot of buddies from the national soundoff board where he spent a lot of time kicking it. This is just terrible.

You can never replace a person like Smitty. I have posted with him , we have emailed info , met at VT games. I was in total shock when l seen this about his death. You never meet a person that makes a better first impression. RIP Smitty.. You have left a Great Legacy for a man that is only known by posts and humor.

I logged into Rivals today and found that Smitty's daughter had started an account just to post this. I know this will mean as much to y'all as it did to the rest of us:

"Hello everyone, I want you all to know that this is Smitty's daughter. My cousin linked me to this thread and I expected to read it and just go back to what I was doing, but everything I was reading just warmed my heart so much that I decided to make an account and thank you all. This may be a long-ish post but I will say that I start back to school in two days, I work and I am trying to get out and distract myself for obvious reasons so I may not reply much here. I just want to get this one message out.

My dad talked about this forum all the time, I can not express how happy it made him to be a part of, how many stories he told and how many times he would just get up and leave one day and when I asked where he was going, he would say he was going to meet someone from the boards. I felt like this was his home away from home, and I completely understand. When I was 10 (I'm 21 now) I made so many friends on a Pokemon forum, just people that I talked to in passing really, but as I've gotten older, I've made friends on other communities online that mean everything to me. And because of my dad's experience with this board, he never questioned the validity of those online relationships. So I understand how much you all are hurting, trust me. I'm actually really glad to see all of this support.

Honestly I've always known that my dad is a great person, but reading some of these comments, I didn't know how absolutely selfless he was. It really inspires me and makes me want to try harder to better myself every day... I want to be able to touch the lives of this many people and be surrounded by this much love. I'm pretty sure I've even met a few of you at some point. I'm not sure who, but my dad definitely introduced me to a handful of you. I could tell how good of friends you all were and I'm so glad for that.

Unfortunately, I'm not much of a fan of football but I do appreciate VT football and one of my biggest regrets now is that I didn't go to one last game with him last fall. That was just a thing we did together sometimes and it meant a lot to me. I will say that the last thing that we did together was go see the new Star Wars movie. He loved it so much and talked about it the whole day home. I just wish he could be here to see the last two in the trilogy, just like I wish he could be here for him to know that you guys are talking about his Outback story again LOL, he loved that story and he told it to me so many times.

Sorry this went on so long, I'm a really wordy person. I also want to say thank you so much for all of the money you've contributed to my college fund, I immediately burst into tears when my aunt told me that it was even being set up. I was just so overwhelmed with happiness and the amount of money that's been raised in two days doesn't even feel real to me. I can't believe all of your kindness and I have no idea how to say thank you. I graduate in two semesters and I just want to work harder than I ever have to make my dad proud, and you are all making it possible."

@KidSmitty

*******UPDATE*******

From another board:

Can't believe it was his heart that failed him because no one had a bigger one, full of love for family, friends and Hokie nation.
Smitty was the first poster I met after I joined this board. I will miss him.
Rest In Peace buddy!

Never met him in person, but I don't think I've ever read a collection of finer posts from anyone on any message board. Insightful, thoughtful, witty, and never a harsh word to friend or foe alike. What a genuinely good human being. He will be missed by everyone...

RIP Smitty...

what happened?....so sad for his family...VTSmitty was truly one of the good guys.....treated everyone with respect...even us nasty old Mountaineers

what happened?....so sad for his family...VTSmitty was truly one of the good guys.....treated everyone with respect...even us nasty old Mountaineers

If you will go back and read all of my posts ITT, I shared all the information I know. Still a shock and he is still missed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT