ADVERTISEMENT

SEC dominance in full display...

hokiemtc

Hokie Hall of Fame
Mar 29, 2002
Georgia Tech beat Georgia
Clemson hammered South Carolina
Louisville beat Kentucky

And Florida can't even lead Florida State at halftime like most ACC teams have this season.

I would take a mulligan on Loueyville- Kentucky. One dont belong in ACC the other ain't a real SEC football team when compared to the big boys.

LMAO....go ACC, just proves if the SEC played someone besides cupcakes all year they wouldn't get all the BS press. Yes their top teams are good but they are not all that from top to bottom. Poor HR must be in disbelief.....

The only SEC team Virginia Tech would beat for certain this year is Vanderbilt. We ought to be worrying about our own house instead of jaw flapping about Clemson and GT defeating an SEC team.

That's 0-4 HR......and looks like Miss St will be out of your dream playoffs.......go Auburn!!!!! Be nice if No SEC team made playoffs, the whole playoff system would explode along with HR.

Originally posted by Hoos19NC:
That's 0-4 HR......and looks like Miss St will be out of your dream playoffs.......go Auburn!!!!! Be nice if No SEC team made playoffs, the whole playoff system would explode along with HR.
i'm hoping for the same

Some DA on ESPN today said Pac 10 was better than SEC. He should be fired for lying on the air. The SEC West is still the best conference in football.

Originally posted by Flashman:
The only SEC team Virginia Tech would beat for certain this year is Vanderbilt. We ought to be worrying about our own house instead of jaw flapping about Clemson and GT defeating an SEC team.
Based on our performance against Wake, I'm certain that we could lose against Vanderbilt.

Originally posted by Hampton Roads 6:

Some DA on ESPN today said Pac 10 was better than SEC. He should be fired for lying on the air. The SEC West is still the best conference in football.
The Pac is 8-3 OOC against majors. The SEC is 5-6. Yes, 5-6!!! The so called dominant conference is not even .500 against its peers. So overrated.

The SEC is the best conference by FAR

Inadequate samples do not equal statistical power so drawing conclusions from 4 games or OOC records is meaningless. The ACC played its best 3 teams and Louisville may be 4th best and we barely beat middle of the pack and bottom feeding SEC teams. Replace the 4 on Saturday with Bama, Miss St, Auburn, and LSU and you and I both know the results. For example, Florida was weak and accounted for 2 of the SEC losses. Look at the heavy weights like a somewhat down LSU team still beating what is likely the Big ten champ in Wisconsin. Or Auburn going on the road and whipping Kansas St who could be in a tie as the defacto Big 12 champ if they beat Baylor. Georgia also smacked Clemson. The point is....their top 5 or so teams simply win for the most part when they play outside of the conference COMPARED TO other conferences top 5 or so teams and when the SEC dose lose, they lose when their down teams play the other conferences best teams. They dominate recruiting and the draft and the eyeball test and national titles of late. COMMON SENSE says, they are the best conference and I think...by far. Do I want the SEC to be the best? NO. Do I want the ACC to be the best? YES. but as a scientist, all of the facts and evidence trumps emotion.

This post was edited on 12/1 4:37 PM by lucustookis

LSU? Isn't LSU something like 8-4?

And are we talking about the same Auburn team that WON the SEC last season but then LOST to Florida State?

I dunno...I'm just not seeing the power in that conference that certain others are seeing. Right now, Bama is probably in the playoff and that's it.

Originally posted by hokiemtc:
LSU? Isn't LSU something like 8-4?

And are we talking about the same Auburn team that WON the SEC last season but then LOST to Florida State?

I dunno...I'm just not seeing the power in that conference that certain others are seeing. Right now, Bama is probably in the playoff and that's it.
Yeah, seriously. SEC gospel is ridiculous. I despise Florida State, but it was nice to see the conference knocked down a peg last year with their win over Auburn. People also seem to have forgotten how badly OU smacked around Alabama and how Duke very nearly beat TAMU. Also, a mediocre Big XII transplant has won the east for the second straight year. Not buying the SEC product anymore. They're a good conference for sure and IMO still the best in the country, but this talk of them being head and shoulders above everyone else is just ridiculous.

Yeah, they're still going to field a team or two every year that will legitimately be knee-deep in the title hunt (and they should considering they have rosters loaded with 5* talent), but between Richt's perpetual underachievement at UGa, the Ole Ball Coach never being able to field a decent offense somehow, UTenn and UF playing musical coaches, LSU playing defense on both sides of the ball, and Auburn playing offense on both sides of the ball, then most of the teams in that conference aren't any better than the middle tier of any other conference, as their OOC records clearly point out. Oh, and Vandy and UK just plain suck.

Mizzou never did anything at all of note in the Big XII, and aTm was a dozen years removed from their glory days, but both teams had instant success once they joined the SEC. Oklahoma was known for January bowl no-shows (like VT), but then they hammered Alabama last year. I dunno...just not seeing it.

The Okies beat Alabama because Bama wasn't excited to be in that bowl. Alabama plays to win NCs, not bowl games. The Okies were excited to be in that bowl.

But for the 4 team playoffs, it should be Bama, FSU, Baylor and TCU. But the committee will probably have Oregon, a Little 10 team, and who knows who else in playoffs. Hopefully FSU and Bama can win their conference championship games and force the committee to include them.

The Okies beat Alabama because Bama wasn't excited to be in that bowl. Alabama plays to win NCs, not bowl games. The Okies were excited to be in that bowl.

But for the 4 team playoffs, it should be Bama, FSU, Baylor and TCU. But the committee will probably have Oregon, a Little 10 team, and who knows who else in playoffs. Hopefully FSU and Bama can win their conference championship games and force the committee to include them.
I hope it's 4 of the 5 you named, in whatever order. But I have a feeling tOSU will get in there despite the loss to us, simply because they are a brand and have major influence and power. If Mizz beats Bama, the whole playoff bracket might just get sucked in to a black hole. It could happen, not likely, but what if?

If Ohio State gets in it will destroy the integrity of the entire system. Ohio State doesn't belong in playoffs. They have not played tough enough schedule to overtake any SEC team. There are at least 5 teams in SEC better than Ohio State, not to mention Big 12 and ACC. Granted they have name power, but that should not get them in playoffs ahead of better teams.

If Bama does lose to Mizzou, you are right the entire playoffs will be screwed;
But win or lose, Alabama would still be one of 4 best teams in country. Heck Auburn has 3 loses but they are better than anything Big 10 has to offer.

I'd buy that if it had been a close game, but OU stomped 'Bama pretty much from start to finish. There are always excuses for the SEC when they don't do well, but when other conferences lose it's because they're not good, or if it's against the SEC it's because of "SEC dominance." Same b.s. excuses every year.

Some teams do not "show up" to play bowl games. VT got caught doing this once in Orange Bowl. West Virginia played UVA in Tire Bowl once and never showed up. Then WV went to a BCS bowl and beat one of top teams in country if my memory is correct.
Many times a time is just happy to be there.

Some teams do not "show up" to play bowl games. VT got caught doing this once in Orange Bowl. West Virginia played UVA in Tire Bowl once and never showed up. Then WV went to a BCS bowl and beat one of top teams in country if my memory is correct.
Many times a time is just happy to be there.
VT didn't get mud-stomped by Kansas, and didn't lose by dint of "not wanting to be there." They were poorly prepared and poorly coached, and still only narrowly lost. Alabama was dominated from start to finish by OU. Their defense's stalwart mystique has also worn off in the last few years with teams like TAMU and Auburn hanging up 40+ points on them and putting up 500+ yards. No-one is denying that Alabama is good or that the SEC is good; really, it's not hard to argue the SEC as the best conference. But acting like Alabama is an NFL team compared to the rest of CFB being Pop Warner or some such is ridiculous.

Typical comment from a biased SEC homer. We heard that Utah spanked Bama in the Sugar Bowl because Bama didn't care. Then, just 2 years later in a lesser Capital One Bowl, Bama spanked Mich. St., and somehow this mattered more and showed SEC dominance again. Then, Oklahoma spanked Bama in the Sugar Bowl last year, and it meant they didn't want to be there again. Sorry, not buying it.

Bama is not all that. They lost to an average Ole Miss team, beat Ark. by 1, struggled for 59 minutes against an LSU that cannot score, struggled against 5-4 Big 12 WVU, and gave up 600+ yards to Auburn. If FSU did this, they would have dropped them out of the top ten, but when it is Bama doing this, it "shows heart" and "shows what they are made of". Just when I thought the bias reached its peak in past years, it is taken to a whole new level this year. Sickening.

And, now look at who has the easiest conference title game next weekend? None other than Bama. So, the SEC is an embarrassing 5-6 OOC against power 5 teams, and its top team has the easiest opponent next weekend, but we still hear how mighty the SEC is. What a joke.

You better hope Bama does not play Oregon. If that were Oregon playing them Saturday night, instead of a 33-21 deficit to an Auburn team that cannot stop anyone, Bama probably would have been down by about 30 at the time, and ended up getting routed. If the rankings were where they should be and an unbeaten FSU were #1, Bama would not even get out of the semifinals, and they still might not no matter who they play.

I would be so funny to see Bama lose this weekend to Mizz and watch the playoffs from home....they could then go to bowl that they don't care about and lose again......the SEC is not as good this year, one reason is lack of top QB's.

If anyone other than Alabama wins national championship this season I wikl be shocked and disappointed . Now granted there are a couple teams out there who could pukl an upset. someone pulks upset every week .

If anyone other than Alabama wins national championship this season I wikl be shocked and disappointed . Now granted there are a couple teams out there who could pukl an upset. someone pulks upset every week .
Bama is not all that good this year. They may win but I don't see them as omnipotent. Also don't kid yourself about their bowl loss. Sabin does not want to win a bowl game.? Baloney. They got their butts kicked. The PAC is very good this year. about 6 good teams. I don't know where you got this Alabama fetish but they are a very rich probgram that will stop at nothing to get their way.

Good teams are a dime a dozen. But I don't think PAC 10 compares with SEC due to SOS. Heck the ACC has some good teams

Good teams are a dime a dozen. But I don't think PAC 10 compares with SEC due to SOS. Heck the ACC has some good teams
You are right. Pac and SEC schedules do not compare. Pac schedules will always be harder than SEC schedules because the Pac plays a 9th conference game. Think of how the SEC would look if they played a 9th conference game instead of 14 extra cupcakes. Obviously, the SEC would go 7-7 as a conference if they played a 9th conference game, so add another loss to 7 SEC teams and then see how the standings and rankings would look.

You would think with only 8 conference games, the SEC would play more OOC games against power 5 teams, but, no, not the "mighty" SEC. They chose to play only 11 of them, went a pathetic 5-6 in those games, and then acted like they were so great because of their 48-7 overall OOC record, which included going 43-1 OOC against non power 5 teams that were mostly made up of 1-AA teams and weak 1-A teams.

If those PAC 10 schools had to play the SEC west schools, they'd all have 3 or 4 losses. Heck, the playoff committee could pick the top 4 SEC west schools and have better playoff than what they'll probably end up with.

If those PAC 10 schools had to play the SEC west schools, they'd all have 3 or 4 losses. Heck, the playoff committee could pick the top 4 SEC west schools and have better playoff than what they'll probably end up with.
HR yu have a great sense of humor.

PAC 10 (and Big 10) play a cupcake schedule. I hope Arizona beats the Quacks and Wisconsin beats Ohio, thus eliminating the Quacks and Buckholes once and for all. Playoff will be better if it's all south/southeastern teams in there.

I would consider WVU...Fla Int.....Southern Miss.....Western Carolina as cupcakes!!!!! point is everyone plays cupcakes. To not have Oregon in your top 4 is ludicrous, they have beaten 3 ranked teams....Mich St., UCLA, Utah.....lost to #7 Arizona. They play Arizona again this week and with a win will prove without doubt they belong in playoffs. Your bias towards the PAC 12 is ridiculous, They have 6 teams ranked in the top 25, second only to the SEC with 7. They are at least the 2nd best conference and closing fast on the SEC....some would say they are a better conference this year. No doubt the SEC has been the king but this year they are not as good as in the past. And even if Alabama wins it all that doesn't mean they are the best conference but I'm sure you will claim that as your proof......of course based on your theories that would mean the ACC was the best conference last year.

With their in conference schedule, the Crimson Tide earned the right to have some pastry.

Now if the Quacks had played Auburn, LSU, Ole Miss. Mississippi State, and Arkansas. and went 11-1, I might let them slip in as a 4seed in playoffs.

The fact you don't believe Oregon should be in the playoffs tells me a lot about your football knowledge or lack of......now I hope Missouri wins this weekend and the SEC gets left out of the playoffs and then the fun can begin.

Oregon's SOS is way south of most SEC schools. Matter of fact the top 7 SOS in nation belong to SEC schools. Oregon is 34th.

Oregon gets too much love based on their Nike $$$$$$$$$$ and the Duck on the motorcycle.

Granted they have a good record, but not a good resume.

With their in conference schedule, the Crimson Tide earned the right to have some pastry.

Now if the Quacks had played Auburn, LSU, Ole Miss. Mississippi State, and Arkansas. and went 11-1, I might let them slip in as a 4seed in playoffs.
So, if Oregon goes 11-1 with Bama's schedule, they might sneak in at #4, but if Bama goes 11-1 with Bama's schedule, they are a lock for #1? The sad thing is this is probably accurate. Sounds like you would fit right in with the biased committee.

Like when Mississippi St. barely beat Ky., and it was a great win for them, and showed how great the SEC is, while Louisville barely beating Ky. showed how weak the ACC is, or Auburn barely beating South Carolina was a great win for them, and again showed how great the SEC is, while Clemson spanking South Carolina somehow continued to show how weak the ACC is.

Of course, we also have Fla. drilling Ga., and all that proves is that the SEC is so deep, but when FSU barely beats Fla., they get dropped to 4th, and when GT beats Ga., it does not seem to mean a thing.

So, what happens if FSU "only" beats GT by 14? Do they drop to 5th???

Great post Kank.......HR is drinking the SEC Kool-aid for sure. Waste of time trying to discuss this with someone that is such an SEC Homer. I hope Oregon plays Bama and spanks that ass!!!!

I would take a mulligan on Loueyville- Kentucky. One dont belong in ACC the other ain't a real SEC football team when compared to the big boys.

You should probably get over it. We're ACC. We're not leaving.

tumblr_m6i04oks5j1roya1c.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT