ADVERTISEMENT

SEC goes 8-2 in Bowls

Hampton Roads 6

Hokie Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2003
Does any guru know the bowl record for each conference to date .

Did some research this morning:

SEC 8-2
PAC 12 6-4
C-USA 3-2
Little 10 5-5
Mtn West 4-4
Sun Belt 2-2
ACC 4-5
Big 12 3-4
Mid Amer 3-4
AAC 2-6

For the record, I think I heard the SEC West went 7-0.

Last edited:
Does any guru know the bowl record for each conference to date .

Did some research this morning:

SEC 8-2
PAC 12 6-4
C-USA 3-2
Big 10 5-5
Mtn West 4-4
Sun Belt 2-2
ACC 4-5
Big 12 3-4
Mid Amer 3-4
AAC 2-6

For the record, I think I heard the SEC West went 7-0.

Texas A&M lost. SEC West went 6-1.

Look at the matchups
Alabama-Michigan State
Ole Miss-Oklahoma State
LSU-Texas Tech
Arkansas-Kansas State
Mississippi State-NC State
Texas A&M-Louisville
Auburn-Memphis

These were very favorable matchups. I am impressed with Alabama, Auburn, and Ole Miss' wins though (as well as Tennessee from the east). Teams from the SEC got the job done this bowl season. All of the other teams from other conferences went around .500 or so.

I will say this - The AAC was very disappointing with the exception of Houston. Temple, Memphis, and Cincinnati's performances were awful. Give Toledo, Auburn, and San Diego State credit for coming to play but those performances were actually more surprising that the New Year's Six performances to me.

I wasn't shocked that FSU lost to Houston - Houston would have been undefeated if Ward didn't get hurt vs. Memphis. FSU had just ok offensive line play and mediocre QB play this year.

I knew Ole Miss would kill Oklahoma State. Ole Miss has a ton of talent. That Oklahoma State team would have been destroyed by several of Gundy's past Oklahoma State teams. That team (like Iowa) took advantage of a weak schedule. Give Gundy a lot of credit but he needs OL and DL to get over the hump.

Clemson over Oklahoma wasn't surprising to me (I know it was to others). Clemson has a lot of size and speed. I think all 3 of Clemson, Alabama, and even Michigan State would have given Oklahoma huge problems - even Stanford would have as well. Michigan State with their average secondary would have been the best matchup for Oklahoma - but I think their front 7 would have still dominated the Sooners.

Michigan State is the exact team that Alabama is designed to dominate - this is why LSU and Georgia have so much trouble with Alabama. Pro style run first/play action teams are doomed if they have to play Alabama. You have to make Alabama defend the entire field.

Iowa was a good team. Their schedule did not prepare them for Stanford. The only good teams they played were Wisconsin, Northwestern, Pitt, and Michigan State. None of the four teams mentioned have dynamic offenses and defenses and dominant offensive AND defensive lines. Iowa doesn't have the speed to get to the edge and just got crushed.

Notre Dame was another very good team that could have given OSU a game if they were healthy. Honestly - if Ohio State didn't have their head up their butts vs. Michigan State - they would have been in the playoffs and would have faced Alabama. That would have been a real barnburner. Too bad Notre Dame couldn't stay injury free either.

Reactions: baddoglady
Good recap vtpmt81.

I am just glad that 2 "southern teams" are playing for National Championship. It will be a much better game than if some Big 10, Notre Dame, PAC 10 or Okalhoma team were playing .

Reactions: vtpmt81
Thanks HR6. Clemson and Alabama are the best two teams.

I think an expanded playoff including Stanford, Notre Dame, and Ohio State would be have shown that those 3 teams were third, fourth, and fifth best teams. However, I am still ok with 4 teams as of now. I don't hate the Big 10 like you do but the Big 10 just wasn't as good this year. It was good last year though - teams like Wisconsin, Nebraska, and Minnesota were way better last year. I still give a lot of props to Michigan State, Iowa, and Northwestern for having good seasons though.

Big 10 plays a lightweight schedule compared to SEC. I think the Arkansas coach made some public comments to this fact after the Razerbacks bowl win.

Big 10 plays a lightweight schedule compared to SEC. I think the Arkansas coach made some public comments to this fact after the Razerbacks bowl win.

I have always respected how LSU scheduled. They will play anyone from VT, to Oregon State, to Arizona State, to UNC, to Wisconsin, to Oregon. Alabama is scheduling very intelligently as well getting neutral site games vs. opponents like VT, Wisconsin, Michigan, West Virginia. Ole Miss is stepping it up next year after playing a home and home with Texas a few years back - with FSU. Auburn's OOC schedule has been solid as well. Mississippi State is the only team that should be criticized. They need to do better.

However, IMHO the SEC West is the best division in college football because it has the best coaches. Reminds me of the Big 12 South years back when Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech were all good. Heck in the 90s - Nebraska, Colorado, and Kansas State were all very good. The Big 12 was the best conference in the country at that time. I remember the mid to late 90s very well when Florida and Tennessee dominated the SEC and won national titles after Alabama fell off for a while. The coaches in the SEC weren't all that great then. Things can change quickly in college football as we Hokies know after the past 3 seasons.

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
Texas A&M lost. SEC West went 6-1.

Look at the matchups
Alabama-Michigan State
Ole Miss-Oklahoma State
LSU-Texas Tech
Arkansas-Kansas State
Mississippi State-NC State
Texas A&M-Louisville
Auburn-Memphis

These were very favorable matchups. I am impressed with Alabama, Auburn, and Ole Miss' wins though (as well as Tennessee from the east). Teams from the SEC got the job done this bowl season. All of the other teams from other conferences went around .500 or so.

I will say this - The AAC was very disappointing with the exception of Houston. Temple, Memphis, and Cincinnati's performances were awful. Give Toledo, Auburn, and San Diego State credit for coming to play but those performances were actually more surprising that the New Year's Six performances to me.

I wasn't shocked that FSU lost to Houston - Houston would have been undefeated if Ward didn't get hurt vs. Memphis. FSU had just ok offensive line play and mediocre QB play this year.

I knew Ole Miss would kill Oklahoma State. Ole Miss has a ton of talent. That Oklahoma State team would have been destroyed by several of Gundy's past Oklahoma State teams. That team (like Iowa) took advantage of a weak schedule. Give Gundy a lot of credit but he needs OL and DL to get over the hump.

Clemson over Oklahoma wasn't surprising to me (I know it was to others). Clemson has a lot of size and speed. I think all 3 of Clemson, Alabama, and even Michigan State would have given Oklahoma huge problems - even Stanford would have as well. Michigan State with their average secondary would have been the best matchup for Oklahoma - but I think their front 7 would have still dominated the Sooners.

Michigan State is the exact team that Alabama is designed to dominate - this is why LSU and Georgia have so much trouble with Alabama. Pro style run first/play action teams are doomed if they have to play Alabama. You have to make Alabama defend the entire field.

Iowa was a good team. Their schedule did not prepare them for Stanford. The only good teams they played were Wisconsin, Northwestern, Pitt, and Michigan State. None of the four teams mentioned have dynamic offenses and defenses and dominant offensive AND defensive lines. Iowa doesn't have the speed to get to the edge and just got crushed.

Notre Dame was another very good team that could have given OSU a game if they were healthy. Honestly - if Ohio State didn't have their head up their butts vs. Michigan State - they would have been in the playoffs and would have faced Alabama. That would have been a real barnburner. Too bad Notre Dame couldn't stay injury free either.
You left out UGA.

And everyone gave up on Alabama after they lost to Ole Miss. The Crimson Tide was best team in the nation from day 1 to the end of season.

Begrudgingly, I have to give it up to the SEC this season. For once, they actually lived up to the hype. Very impressive post-season showing.

Begrudgingly, I have to give it up to the SEC this season. For once, they actually lived up to the hype. Very impressive post-season showing.
It's all about match ups and they got a lot of favorable ones....

Bama sucks and their coach is the devil, other than that I like em.
But for my envy, I would like them, too.

Fortunately, I don't envy them in the bad way (like when other people are envious), but only in the good way (like when I do it).

Lmao "for once".

Again matchups are the key. Instead of seeing Tennessee-Northwestern and Michigan-Florida how about Tennessee-Michigan and Northwestern-Florida? Those would have been way better matchups.

Reactions: Hoos19NC

Last year was terrible for them, so if you average the last two years it's not much better than mediocre.

Lmao "for once".
Congrats on your first national title in the era when it wasn't spoon-fed to undeserving teams via biased polls!

I'm a little surprised Bama won it (Clemson's special teams were horrible all year, but their D collapse was unexpected), but they did so nonetheless. The way the game was unfolding, I think Bama loses by double digits if Alexander doesn't get hurt (and thus the secondary quits covering deep receivers). I do know that Bama's highly touted D had a snowball's chance in hell of even pretending to slow down the Clemson O. "Best defense in the country", my ass. More like best defense in a league full of really lame offenses, which is what the SEC is.

Reactions: Hoos19NC
Congrats on your first national title in the era when it wasn't spoon-fed to undeserving teams via biased polls!

I'm a little surprised Bama won it (Clemson's special teams were horrible all year, but their D collapse was unexpected), but they did so nonetheless. The way the game was unfolding, I think Bama loses by double digits if Alexander doesn't get hurt (and thus the secondary quits covering deep receivers). I do know that Bama's highly touted D had a snowball's chance in hell of even pretending to slow down the Clemson O. "Best defense in the country", my ass. More like best defense in a league full of really lame offenses, which is what the SEC is.

Yeah, those unexpected D collapses can play havoc.

Well you are about to find out first hand if it's real or not.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT