ADVERTISEMENT

Seth/Steph

VT33

New Recruit
Feb 1, 2006
Watching a few bball games on ESPN lately and a couple Golden State games. I keep seeing Seth Greenberg as one of the "expert" commentators on the college game and Steph Curry perform in the NBA. I always heard that Curry wanted to come to Tech but Seth didn't think he was a very promising recruit. At the time, I couldn't believe our coaching staff wouldn't give Dell's son a shot. Anybody know if this has ever been substantiated? If it is true, we really missed having a good team and Seth's expertise certainly should be questioned.

I wouldn't put to much blame on Seth....Steph ended up at Davidson which means all the big coaches missed on him. By the way I really enjoy listening to Seth, he does a good job.

I wouldn't put to much blame on Seth....Steph ended up at Davidson which means all the big coaches missed on him. By the way I really enjoy listening to Seth, he does a good job.
SGB is still a douch bag.

Watching a few bball games on ESPN lately and a couple Golden State games. I keep seeing Seth Greenberg as one of the "expert" commentators on the college game and Steph Curry perform in the NBA. I always heard that Curry wanted to come to Tech but Seth didn't think he was a very promising recruit. At the time, I couldn't believe our coaching staff wouldn't give Dell's son a shot. Anybody know if this has ever been substantiated? If it is true, we really missed having a good team and Seth's expertise certainly should be questioned.
Are you dense? What part of nobody wanted Steph do you not understand?
SG was the only ACC coach to offer Steph anything.

Are you dense? What part of nobody wanted Steph do you not understand?
SG was the only ACC coach to offer Steph anything.

Did Seth offer Steph a scholarship? Did Curry want to come to Tech? Did Dell lobby for him to be offered? That's what I'm asking. I'm not asking if nobody wanted him. With our team at the time, which wasn't stellar, you wouldn't entertain that, a VT legends son? Diamond in the Rough, maybe? Even if "nobody wanted Steph"?

Did Seth offer Steph a scholarship?
Seth offered a gray shirt

Did Curry want to come to Tech?
Yes

Did Dell lobby for him to be offered? That's what I'm asking.
That's my understanding, yes.

I'm not asking if nobody wanted him.
And that's the problem. You want to dismiss important facts bc they lead to a frustrating truth. Rule out from the discussion the fact that no other coach in the ACC would offer him, and you render the discussion meaningless. It's really that simple.

With our team at the time, which wasn't stellar, you wouldn't entertain that, a VT legends son? Diamond in the Rough, maybe? Even if "nobody wanted Steph"?
Is this your recipe for rebuilding a program? Offer a kid in hopes he will become a "diamond" -- despite your own evaluation (and despite what every other ACC basketball coach thinks)? Good luck with that.

I think my question is at least as good as yours: Can you build/rebuild a less-than-stellar program by offering legacies simply because Daddy was great?

The unanimous evaluation in the ACC was crystal: do not offer. Seth offered him something anyway.
CSG may have been a real jerk. I understand he was. But on the Curry deal, he made the right call...

even if, in hindsight, he, we, and every other coach would've done differently.

Last edited:
Of course you like listening to Seth. I love listening to Mike London.
GVK5Cn6tnqnUk.gif

Go back and look who he offered instead of Steph. Also guys with no other signicant offers, and who never contributed.

And Seth handled it so tactfully that he was asked to leave the Curry house and not return.

Yes

And that's the problem. You want to dismiss important facts bc they lead to a frustrating truth. Rule out from the discussion the fact that no other coach in the ACC would offer him, and you render the discussion meaningless. It's really that simple.

Is this your recipe for rebuilding a program? Offer a kid in hopes he will become a "diamond" -- despite your own evaluation (and despite what every other ACC basketball coach thinks)? Good luck with that.

I think my question is at least as good as yours: Can you build/rebuild a less-than-stellar program by offering legacies simply because Daddy was great?

The unanimous evaluation in the ACC was crystal: do not offer. Seth offered him something anyway.
CSG may have been a real jerk. I understand he was. But on the Curry deal, he made the right call...

Go back and look who he offered instead of Steph. Also guys with no other signicant offers, and who never contributed.

And Seth handled it so tactfully that he was asked to leave the Curry house and not return.[/QUOTE
Of course you like listening to Seth. I love listening to Mike London.
GVK5Cn6tnqnUk.gif
I really think Seth is in the right job now, he does a really good job on analyzing college basketball. Doesn't mean he was a good coach, but he was at a tough college job. I'm still not sold that Buzz can make VT a team that competes for ACC titles.....but time can certainly prove me wrong. VT basketball = UVA football. Which program improves faster? Now Buzz has a head start but UVA football was left with more talent than VT basketball was left with.

It really hurts watching this, but here's the story from the MVP himself...

sports.yahoo.com/video/stephen-curry-sucked-not-getting-110000931.html

Not sure why I can't get the link to post properly.

He should have been signed based on his "name" alone.
You can't sign a kid just because his dad played for that school....example, at UVA Jeff Jones kid has been a bench warmer for 4 years.....Bryant Stiths kid played limited time before transferring when he realized he would never start at UVA. Plus no one....I mean no one knew how well Steph would play in college. The fact VT offered him a preferred walk on shows me they were trying to be respectful to Dell. If you want to blame Seth for this, you also need to list every ACC coach since non of them offered him either.

Reactions: Salemite
You can't sign a kid just because his dad played for that school....example, at UVA Jeff Jones kid has been a bench warmer for 4 years.....Bryant Stiths kid played limited time before transferring when he realized he would never start at UVA. Plus no one....I mean no one knew how well Steph would play in college. The fact VT offered him a preferred walk on shows me they were trying to be respectful to Dell. If you want to blame Seth for this, you also need to list every ACC coach since non of them offered him either.
obviously true, but you won't convince the Seth haters

I really think Seth is in the right job now, he does a really good job on analyzing college basketball. Doesn't mean he was a good coach, but he was at a tough college job. I'm still not sold that Buzz can make VT a team that competes for ACC titles.....but time can certainly prove me wrong. VT basketball = UVA football. Which program improves faster? Now Buzz has a head start but UVA football was left with more talent than VT basketball was left with.
Agree. CSG is in the right place. Good talker, opinionated, smart. I 'm betting he hits the optimal WPM to appear very knowledgable.

Way too early to write Buzz's epitaph (not that you are). At the same time, I'm not sure he's the right guy. Maybe. Maybe not. I vacillate on the Buzz Q. In any event, he's digging out of a big hole, so he'll need time.

Here's where I'll say your skepticism is dead wrong (wadr):
VT can be built into a team that competes for ACC titles.
Zero doubt here.

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
We would all need the same crystal ball that Seth didn't have the benefit of to predict whether or not Buzz will compete for ACC championships. Winning an ACC basketball championship is no easy task. Making the dance will be more of his measure of success IMHO. If he can pull an ACC title at the same time that's icing on the cake. He is making steady progress digging out of the crater that he was left with.

We would all need the same crystal ball that Seth didn't have the benefit of to predict whether or not Buzz will compete for ACC championships. Winning an ACC basketball championship is no easy task. Making the dance will be more of his measure of success IMHO. If he can pull an ACC title at the same time that's icing on the cake. He is making steady progress digging out of the crater that he was left with.
I know you are right about predicting ACC titles, but I remain convinced we can (and will).

I know you are right about predicting ACC titles, but I remain convinced we can (and will).
I believe we can too. But if he can get this program back in the dance then I will be happy. I'm starved for some NCAA tourney participation. Kind of like Hoos are for a win over VT in football.

Hard to believe college coaches could "overlook" Curry. Now granted some are late bloomers, but.............................

I once knew a guy that got cut from his high school team. Went to a D3 college and averaged 33 points a game.

Some Jordan guy got cut in 10th grade. We all know how that turned out.

I believe we can too. But if he can get this program back in the dance then I will be happy. I'm starved for some NCAA tourney participation. Kind of like Hoos are for a win over VT in football.
I can understand that.....LOL

[QUOTE="Hampton Roads 6, post: 57992, member: 402

Some Jordan guy got cut in 10th grade. We all know how that turned out.[/QUOTE]
And then a pro team that had a chance to draft him chose Sam Bowie instead.

My personal opinion is that Steph was as good or better than others we offered in his place. However, Seth was determined to not appear to be told what to do, and therefore took others ahead of Steph and offered him the greyshirt to show he was in control. Just my opinion.

You don't offer him because of his name, but if you have already decided he is good enough to play for your team and get a full scholarship, I think the name let's you bring him on in instead of pushing him back 6 months with a greyshirt.

Seems a lot in this thread don't acknowledge that he was offered a full scholarship, but delayed 6 months.

Reactions: SunnyBeachWave
My personal opinion is that Steph was as good or better than others we offered in his place. However, Seth was determined to not appear to be told what to do, and therefore took others ahead of Steph and offered him the greyshirt to show he was in control. Just my opinion.

You don't offer him because of his name, but if you have already decided he is good enough to play for your team and get a full scholarship, I think the name let's you bring him on in instead of pushing him back 6 months with a greyshirt.

Seems a lot in this thread don't acknowledge that he was offered a full scholarship, but delayed 6 months.
I didn't know that....

Yes

can't argue with you there at all. I had just heard all the talk about Steph before he went to Davidson. I also heard at the time that he wanted to be a walk on and work for a scholarship and Seth passed. Just remembering the time and talk. Don't know how much validity there was to it. i didn't know that offered grey shirts in basketball. And at that time many fans I know thought he would have been a good possibility to do well,that he was worth a chance.Obviously a missed call by all but Davidson.
Which pro team choose Bowie ? I remember it but forget the team.
Which pro team choose Bowie ? I remember it but forget the team.
Think it was Portland and Jack Ramsey. Bowie just could never stay healthy and in the Dean Smith system MJ didn't "take over" all the time. Good reads are "Michael Jordan The Life by Roland Lazenby", also David Halberstam "Michael Jordan And The World He Made".

I don't think you have a firm basis for drawing the conclusion that you do regarding Seth's motives. That quite a claim you're making.

A more likely explanation would be that he tried to capitalize on the fact that Steph didn't have any other offers from a major school at the time, so he banked on Steph taking the delayed offer as part of a larger plan regarding available scholarships. Otherwise, why give a delayed offer -- what benefit is it to your program? I doubt he thought Steph would go to Davidson... he was clearly wrong.

I don't think you have a firm basis for drawing the conclusion that you do regarding Seth's motives. That quite a claim you're making.

A more likely explanation would be that he tried to capitalize on the fact that Steph didn't have any other offers from a major school at the time, so he banked on Steph taking the delayed offer as part of a larger plan regarding available scholarships. Otherwise, why give a delayed offer -- what benefit is it to your program? I doubt he thought Steph would go to Davidson... he was clearly wrong.
I also doubt he or anyone else believed Steph would turn out to be what he did or everyone would have lined up with scholarships. Seth has taken way to much blame on this one....

I didn't know that....
I think you're spot on with that. And a grey shirt in Bball is rare and sometimes considered a sign that you should look somewhere else.

I totally agree with you. Sometimes, in basketball, a grey shirt offer says "keep looking".

The undisputed relevant facts are:
  1. Dell was a star at VT
  2. Steph stated a desire to come to VT
  3. Seth offered him a gray shirt.
  4. No other ACC coach offered SC.
  5. The Currys were offended (not reading minds; they made it clear).
  6. Steph became a super star.
  7. Seth was widely vilified for it.
I'm not sure how we could know Seth was merely determined to show he was in control. It's obvious he didn't admit to it, else it would be in every thread rather than a mere "Seth sucks" on every other thread. ;)

IMO a better explanation, because it appears to account for more of what we know and doesn't require guessing about Seth's mindset, is that he saw what other ACC coaches obviously saw: a kid that (at that time) was not ready for the ACC.

The simpler explanation (and therefore the preferred explanation) is Seth merely saw what the other ACC coach saw, and that the Curry name likely did influence Seth to offer Curry the g/s. It looks to me more like a courtesy to Dell (one the Mrs., at least, received less than gratefully) with the hope Steph would develop.

Of course, if I begin from the premise that Seth is incapable of that sort of respect, this will not satisfy me.

Reactions: Hoos19NC
Right, Beamer would have signed him. Seth thought he was smarter than everybody. Fact is, he was and still is a douch bag!
It's easier to offer a legacy when you have 85 schollys instead of 13. No fan of Seth, but IMO the grayshirt offer was fine. What bothers me is Beamer didn't offer him as a qb :D

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT