ADVERTISEMENT

Signing day

Overall a very good class but disappointing that we didn't land any guys today that were on the fence. Can't see how we could lose Becton to Louisville of all places. We're back in the top 25 but we need to be in the top 15 or better if we want to win the ACC. We are losing too many kids to out of state schools who will end up disappointed that they made a bad choice because they listened to some slick recruiter's hype.
Fuentes did well for his first full year on the recruiting trail and hopefully next year he'll bring home more in-state kids once he builds relationships with coaches in Tidewater, Richmond, Northern Va and D.C.

Fuente and Staff did an A+ job in recruiting this year after coming off of mediocrity for VT under the FrankinStine experiment offense that sickened the stomach's of about 90+ percent of Virginia's High School Coaches. This sickness will take time to cure. They will have to be absolutely sure that they can send their kids to VT and not have a potential NFL career ruined. I know, you are going to point out defensive losses to try and prove a point by giving one snapshot in time. Bottom line, we do not have a defensive recruiting problem and we never have in 25 years, if you look at the overall trend of defensive recruiting. The defensive near misses have come from a mediocre overall record which was the product of a pathetic offensive system. The offensive losses (not even near misses but offensive players that never considered Tech) were due to a poor offensive system. Coaches in Va simply will not change after seeing 4 months of football at Tech and one season with a new Head Coach. It will take time. It will take 3-4 years for Fuente and recruiting, and his offensive show on the field that it is the real deal and 3-4 years for trust to FULLY be established. This trust thing is already in the works and VT did FAR BETTER on the offensive side of recruiting than what it should have. I truly believe that about 50% of the fanbase simply do not know how bad it was offensively and the jokes that were made about VT's offense and offensive system in the past not just by opposing fans, but by Virginia High School Coaches who were/are largely VT fans.

That has already changed. It's in the works. But.....the damage was so great that it will still take 3, maybe 4 recruiting seasons to overcome and by year 5 of JF on the field coaching, it will fully show. The damage done by Franky "I do not know where I am at" Beamer or Franky "I don't care because Stiney is my boy" Beamer and keeping him in place for so long caused 1/2 of a decade of damage regarding recovery, REGARDLESS of who was brought in. By the way, Fuente is very, very good. It will take time. It would be great to have the ole "American quick fix" to a problem, but like so many things, when the problem is made worse, and the damage has been done for so long, there is no quick fix. The solution is complicated and in this case, 4 years to 1/2 of a decade away from the day Fuente stepped foot on campus. The problem was clear in 2006, and that problem was allowed to fester for about 8 years. You do not fix an 8 year problem in 12 months. Simply put, it does not work that way. We had no business being in the ACC Title this year. We had no business having a top 20 recruiting class, and added to that, a solid offensive recruiting class that is about equal to the defense in recruiting. That is due to .............a new coach who is very, very good.

Maybe a better way to describe London was he had the ability to land a few top recruits each year but didn't really fill any voids he needed. I believe what Maryland saw in London was the ability to land some top recruits in the 757 for them.....not sure that ever really happened, but then again why would any recruit go to that cesspool.

Maryland replaced London with UKs defensive coord. who was a questionable coach but notable recruiter especially in the FL/GA area and Juco ranks. They got Beatty to cover VA recruiting so they dont really need London. Its obvious they are making recruiting a real priority.

Maryland replaced London with UKs defensive coord. who was a questionable coach but notable recruiter especially in the FL/GA area and Juco ranks. They got Beatty to cover VA recruiting so they dont really need London. Its obvious they are making recruiting a real priority.
That was Maryland's decision on hiring coach from UK, good or bad. London left on his own was not fired.

Buzz had a big man transfer from last year that may have caught him off guard. Then Blackshear got hurt and coach is saving his year of eligibility by not playing him this year. The other size we have just may not have the talent to get any minutes. I'm giving Buzz 2 more years to put something together before I get down on him.

At the risk of
I agree with you on Buzz, starting to here some fans grumbling so was curious to see what posters on this board think. No doubt in my mind VT can get into NCAA Tournament this year.....I believe you control your on destiny but have to win the ones down the stretch that I will call 50/50 games. You go 4-3 and your are definitely in.....3-4 may take a win in the ACC to get in.
I don't mean to be overly simplistic but I think our chances of getting to the NCAA tournament rest on Ahmed Hill down the stretch. He's hit 3 of his last 21 3 point shot attempts. They are the same shots he was knocking down at a good clip earlier. For a team that rarely gets an offensive rebound that's 18 empty possessions with the ball then going the other way in transition. It causes problems in a lot of ways. IMO to get to the dance Buzz must find a way to reverse that dynamic. We have 5 other players who are playing well enough and consistently enough for us to slide into the dance IF we can somehow get Hill back on track offensively.

At the risk of

I don't mean to be overly simplistic but I think our chances of getting to the NCAA tournament rest on Ahmed Hill down the stretch. He's hit 3 of his last 21 3 point shot attempts. They are the same shots he was knocking down at a good clip earlier. For a team that rarely gets an offensive rebound that's 18 empty possessions with the ball then going the other way in transition. It causes problems in a lot of ways. IMO to get to the dance Buzz must find a way to reverse that dynamic. We have 5 other players who are playing well enough and consistently enough for us to slide into the dance IF we can somehow get Hill back on track offensively.
That's not overly simplistic.... makes perfect sense.

Yeah Hill may come back around and that would be great.

I also hoped that Seth Allen could emerge as a shot clock beater and created a shot when needed this year.

He can take a long shot or drive left to the basket with the best but teams know what his tendencies are and shut him down.

I agree with you on Buzz, starting to here some fans grumbling so was curious to see what posters on this board think. No doubt in my mind VT can get into NCAA Tournament this year.....I believe you control your on destiny but have to win the ones down the stretch that I will call 50/50 games. You go 4-3 and your are definitely in.....3-4 may take a win in the ACC to get in.

Buzz knows the game better than Seth and relates better with the players. And he's doing a nice job recruiting for a non-basketball school. But damn, lets get him a better non-perspirant.

Buzz knows the game better than Seth and relates better with the players. And he's doing a nice job recruiting for a non-basketball school. But damn, lets get him a better non-perspirant.

"Buzz knows the game better," no doubt Hoekincville. "Nice job recruiting," no doubt Hokieincville. "A better non-perspirant." Hokieinc-ville, this is a brilliant observation in my opinion (notice the humility folks) and this is made on emotional momentum after Hokieinc-ville gave a 3 to 1 brilliant analysis, and I am just incredibly amazed by your emotional quotient. I do take issue with one of your 3 or 4 brilliant statements. "Relates with the players." Does this mean, a white guy who understands black guys? Does this mean, an old guy who understands the young? Does this mean, a person of a certain race giving up the racial standards of their race to coincide? Does this mean, a person of a certain nationality giving up the social norms of her or his nationality to coincide or make peace? The one of four statements you made leaves me baffled. Either way, you are 3 of 4 in my opinion and I feel you are incredibly inept at the noun of "thinking."

Cheers,

Hoo19, it looks like London Perrantes has hit the same kind of slump Hill was in for a few weeks. :eek:

The losses can start stacking up quick when a major player goes MIA.

Hoo19, it looks like London Perrantes has hit the same kind of slump Hill was in for a few weeks. :eek:

The losses can start stacking up quick when a major player goes MIA.
It is awful right now, hard to watch a team completely lose all confidence shooting the ball. Just a complete free fall.

Anyone who gets a football player to UVA is a good recruiter . They have nothing to offer except early playing time. No chance for bowl games, championships, etc.

It is awful right now, hard to watch a team completely lose all confidence shooting the ball. Just a complete free fall.
You may recall that I told you earlier in the season that losing Perrantes would be a catastrophic loss for this team. I didn't mean that in this sense at the time I said it, but the results are the same. Such a thin line between success and failure in this game shows how we tend to undervalue the luck factor for the rest of us programs that struggle to challenge the blue bloods every season.

You may recall that I told you earlier in the season that losing Perrantes would be a catastrophic loss for this team. I didn't mean that in this sense at the time I said it, but the results are the same. Such a thin line between success and failure in this game shows how we tend to undervalue the luck factor for the rest of us programs that struggle to challenge the blue bloods every season.
I do recall you posting that about London. And I stated losing Nichols would be a much bigger lose than most would know. Nichols 12-15 points a game would be huge for this team, having no inside scorer has taken away London and Guy's opportunities from outside. I was hoping that Brogden would dress out last night....LOL

I do recall you posting that about London. And I stated losing Nichols would be a much bigger lose than most would know. Nichols 12-15 points a game would be huge for this team, having no inside scorer has taken away London and Guy's opportunities from outside. I was hoping that Brogden would dress out last night....LOL
Yet you got by without Nichols for a long time, no?

Yet you got by without Nichols for a long time, no?
Yea but you could always tell it was going to be a problem against teams with good big men or teams that could shut London down. I would say this team exceeded my expectations for a big part of the season. You just don't lose a Brogden, Gill and Tobey and not feel the pain. I was pleasantly surprised at our offensive display for a long time but it's been brutal lately for sure. Amazing what confidence or lack of can do to a player and team.

"Buzz knows the game better," no doubt Hoekincville. "Nice job recruiting," no doubt Hokieincville. "A better non-perspirant." Hokieinc-ville, this is a brilliant observation in my opinion (notice the humility folks) and this is made on emotional momentum after Hokieinc-ville gave a 3 to 1 brilliant analysis, and I am just incredibly amazed by your emotional quotient. I do take issue with one of your 3 or 4 brilliant statements. "Relates with the players." Does this mean, a white guy who understands black guys? Does this mean, an old guy who understands the young? Does this mean, a person of a certain race giving up the racial standards of their race to coincide? Does this mean, a person of a certain nationality giving up the social norms of her or his nationality to coincide or make peace? The one of four statements you made leaves me baffled. Either way, you are 3 of 4 in my opinion and I feel you are incredibly inept at the noun of "thinking."

Cheers,

Nothing racial about it my friend. Wow, Sorry if you read that into it. Seth has found his true calling on ESPN as a commentator. I'm glad he's doing well. But as a coach, it didn't seem that he truly connected with his players, white or black. And he surely didn't connect with the AD.

Yea but you could always tell it was going to be a problem against teams with good big men or teams that could shut London down. I would say this team exceeded my expectations for a big part of the season. You just don't lose a Brogden, Gill and Tobey and not feel the pain. I was pleasantly surprised at our offensive display for a long time but it's been brutal lately for sure. Amazing what confidence or lack of can do to a player and team.
Yep. Nobody understands that better than VT fans. It's tough when you don't have the depth the blue blood programs have to start with, and then you lose the quality big men you were counting on having, such as a Nichols, or a Blackshear, or an Alan Cheney. It's another typical year for us - minus two starters. We know exactly how it is trying to win with one hand always tied behind our back. And you don't get credit for it either.

Yep. Nobody understands that better than VT fans. It's tough when you don't have the depth the blue blood programs have to start with, and then you lose the quality big men you were counting on having, such as a Nichols, or a Blackshear, or an Alan Cheney. It's another typical year for us - minus two starters. We know exactly how it is trying to win with one hand always tied behind our back. And you don't get credit for it either.
Good post Jolly....but I do think VT is getting credit this year, they definitely pass the eye test.

Nothing racial about it my friend. Wow, Sorry if you read that into it. Seth has found his true calling on ESPN as a commentator. I'm glad he's doing well. But as a coach, it didn't seem that he truly connected with his players, white or black. And he surely didn't connect with the AD.
To simplify, SG did not connect with anyone in Blacksburg. He didn't connect with anyone in the athletic department and didn't accept the fact that he needed to be a part of the "family". Sadly, he never learned how to use the pronoun we. I, me, and my... On the others hand, BW is a totally different personality. It's all about "we". SG knows his basketball and does a good job as an analyst. I just wish he had started about 10 years earlier.

To simplify, SG did not connect with anyone in Blacksburg. He didn't connect with anyone in the athletic department and didn't accept the fact that he needed to be a part of the "family". Sadly, he never learned how to use the pronoun we. I, me, and my... On the others hand, BW is a totally different personality. It's all about "we". SG knows his basketball and does a good job as an analyst. I just wish he had started about 10 years earlier.

Not to mention the ugliest halfcourt offense I've ever seen my life, and being wildly inconsistent against varying levels of opponents because we'd use grit and will to win rather than basketball intelligence. Seth is where he belongs now, and though he likes to play the victim, he ran himself out of town.

Love the way Buzz connects with his players. Definitely an upgrade from SG to that regard, and a huge upgrade in offense as well.

Not to mention the ugliest halfcourt offense I've ever seen my life, and being wildly inconsistent against varying levels of opponents because we'd use grit and will to win rather than basketball intelligence.
Yup. I think the main difference was Greenberg's offense was overly reliant on having players who could individually create their own shot, and he eventually started running short on having enough of those types of players on the floor. In contrast, Buzz creates an offensive system that his players can be successful in when they execute it as a team.

Reactions: HeaksManley
On the subject of football and signing...it looks like QB will not be a future issue. The Patterson kid from Chicago gave a verbal today.

Hokieincville, fair enough man. I just asked the question. I didn't read in to it. I didn't only ask about race, but also about age, nationality, etc. I was trying to get where you were coming from.

As for Seth, he had a tough go if it. Our program was an absolute mess after our former dumb dumb AD made another bad choice by hiring the man Seth replaced. Low and behold, he repeated his ignorance after Seth left. Seth without question, changed the direction of the program for the better only for our former rockhead AD to again take the program back to the stone ages with his hire after Seth left. Our former AD was a very good man, but I don't think he was the sharpest tool in the shed COMPARED to his peers (other major power conference ADs).

Culturally, there is no question, Seth had trouble fitting in. I personally believe that was not all Seth's fault. It went both ways. SG without question is/was very sharp and his xs and os were pretty good. I think Buzz is special and doing a solid job, but I will write this....do not underestimate Marquette's program. They have done well for the most part and basically, any major D1 guy in Milwaukee has largely been Marquette bound. Buzz locked up the Milwaukee metro area when he was there and again, a credit to him in recruiting. Since Buzz's departure, U of Wisconsin had made huge increases in Milwaukee recruiting. If Buzz stays put, VT is truly going to be an elite, perennial top 10-15 type BBall program just like he had at Marquette. Only my opinions of course.

ADVERTISEMENT