ADVERTISEMENT

Streak comes to an end

Hokiepoke

All-Conference
Jan 9, 2003
Greenville, SC
First losing season in 26 years. Fuentes does not have what it takes to get the job done. $hit for brain goes for it on 4th down when he should not have, and does not when he should have. The sooner he is gone the better.

First losing season in 26 years. Fuentes does not have what it takes to get the job done. $hit for brain goes for it on 4th down when he should not have, and does not when he should have. The sooner he is gone the better.

I thought the offense played pretty well except for that last drive when Willis didn't have a chance. That one was on Fuentes.
The defense seemed to be in the wrong formation time after time. They arm tackled the entire game and their running back just ran over them. Where were the linebackers? This did not look like a Bud Foster team.
We should never lose to Cincinnati, especially with their starting q'back out of the game.

I thought the offense played pretty well except for that last drive when Willis didn't have a chance. That one was on Fuentes.
The defense seemed to be in the wrong formation time after time. They arm tackled the entire game and their running back just ran over them. Where were the linebackers? This did not look like a Bud Foster team.
We should never lose to Cincinnati, especially with their starting q'back out of the game.

Our program has dropped several notches in the last couple of years. We didn't have a decent defense this year nor will we have one next year based on what I see so far where we didn't improve much all season long. We also don't have any pass rush what so ever. Without that, opponents QB's have all day to throw. The defense just does not have the talent we used to have back in the day as we are no longer recruiting the top linemen we used to get from 757 area schools. So from here on out, we'll have to out score the opponents. Problem is, Fuentes' offense is not built for that. It is more like an updated version of our old Brian Stinespring's offense and is only good for 27 to 31 points a game. With that, and no defense, we are not going to win 10+ games. Next year will be more of the same. With this staff, 7 win seasons is all we can expect in a typical year, with a few down years like this year. We will get lucky and win 9 to 10 wins once in a while but that is no longer going to be the norm. That is just the state of this program now.

Turning point of game was after we went up 31-28, got interception and ball on Cincinnati 12 yard line, and did not score. We should have put Cincinnati away right there.

Our program has dropped several notches in the last couple of years. We didn't have a decent defense this year nor will we have one next year based on what I see so far where we didn't improve much all season long. We also don't have any pass rush what so ever. Without that, opponents QB's have all day to throw. The defense just does not have the talent we used to have back in the day as we are no longer recruiting the top linemen we used to get from 757 area schools. So from here on out, we'll have to out score the opponents. Problem is, Fuentes' offense is not built for that. It is more like an updated version of our old Brian Stinespring's offense and is only good for 27 to 31 points a game. With that, and no defense, we are not going to win 10+ games. Next year will be more of the same. With this staff, 7 win seasons is all we can expect in a typical year, with a few down years like this year. We will get lucky and win 9 to 10 wins once in a while but that is no longer going to be the norm. That is just the state of this program now.
What bothers me is th
Our program has dropped several notches in the last couple of years. We didn't have a decent defense this year nor will we have one next year based on what I see so far where we didn't improve much all season long. We also don't have any pass rush what so ever. Without that, opponents QB's have all day to throw. The defense just does not have the talent we used to have back in the day as we are no longer recruiting the top linemen we used to get from 757 area schools. So from here on out, we'll have to out score the opponents. Problem is, Fuentes' offense is not built for that. It is more like an updated version of our old Brian Stinespring's offense and is only good for 27 to 31 points a game. With that, and no defense, we are not going to win 10+ games. Next year will be more of the same. With this staff, 7 win seasons is all we can expect in a typical year, with a few down years like this year. We will get lucky and win 9 to 10 wins once in a while but that is no longer going to be the norm. That is just

It's Fuente. There is no s in his name. I love how revisionist history loves to to tell the story that VT football was on top of the world when Beamer left. Fact is, we were just above 500 his last four years, recruiting was already in the toilet, and the program was spiraling down like a 747 with all engines blown over the grand canyon.

Frank BeamerStine did this and you and I are feeling the effects of it. For all who tolerated Beamer keeping Stiney for so long and fighting tooth and nail to keep Stiney around when hundreds complained, you are getting EXACTLY what you deserve. Get used to it, from the day CFB finally left, it set the program back 10 years because he stayed 10 years to long.

It's Fuente. There is no s in his name. I love how revisionist history loves to to tell the story that VT football was on top of the world when Beamer left. Fact is, we were just above 500 his last four years, recruiting was already in the toilet, and the program was spiraling down like a 747 with all engines blown over the grand canyon.

Frank BeamerStine did this and you and I are feeling the effects of it. For all who tolerated Beamer keeping Stiney for so long and fighting tooth and nail to keep Stiney around when hundreds complained, you are getting EXACTLY what you deserve. Get used to it, from the day CFB finally left, it set the program back 10 years because he stayed 10 years to long.

Stiney has not called a VT play since the end of 2010, after a 3rd ACC title and Orange Bowl in 4 years. It is now 2019. How much longer do you want to blame him?

Everybody gets to have an opinion, I guess, whether they stink or not. It’s a shame Fuente missed tackle after tackle, couldn’t recover even one of the three Cincinnati fumbles, fumbled away the ball when going in to score, missed a field goal and threw a pick to end the game. Yeah, he just doesn’t have what it takes. Maybe we could get Major Applewhite.

I was at the game. I have no problem with going for it on 4th and 1. But the play called was awful. Just do a QB sneak and push from behind. If we make it, then we most likely win the game. If we do not, we have them pinned deep. Not sure why the QB ran back 10 yards and then fumbled the ball and the Bearcats got the ball around the 25. Stupid play call, but going for it was the right call. The refs were awful for both teams. There was a flag thrown about every 3 plays. Made for a very long game in the rain.

I was at the game also, Not only were the refs bad the one that marked off penalties walked 9 on a holding call and 13 on the last interference call.. We can also b1t@# about the defense being bad and bad coaches but unless your Bama or Clemson I don't know of many teams that could lose 6 NFL caliber players that were expected to be starters and do quiet as well. We also lost Walker during the game so that makes 7. We have to keep things in perspective.

I was at the game. I have no problem with going for it on 4th and 1. But the play called was awful. Just do a QB sneak and push from behind. If we make it, then we most likely win the game. If we do not, we have them pinned deep. Not sure why the QB ran back 10 yards and then fumbled the ball and the Bearcats got the ball around the 25. Stupid play call, but going for it was the right call. The refs were awful for both teams. There was a flag thrown about every 3 plays. Made for a very long game in the rain.
I actually like the post, but I do feel that the math works to try the easy FG. My thoughts at the time were that we needed to lengthen our lead such that IF Cincy were to score a TD, we could then win with a FG. It had been back and forth, but we had momentum. The problem I'd noticed is that when we fell behind, it would be by 4 points. If we had kicked the FG there, the furthest behind we'd fall would be 2 points. I'm not a great football savant, but it made sense to extend the lead at that point (roughly 6 minutes remaining in the game). PAHokie, to your second point, I am 100% with you. IF you're gonna go for it at that point in the 4th when you've ran the ball reasonably well, you don't try to fool them with a QB rollout UNLESS you've got a great runner at QB.

Stiney has not called a VT play since the end of 2010, after a 3rd ACC title and Orange Bowl in 4 years. It is now 2019. How much longer do you want to blame him?
No one is blaming Stiney for anything. We are just comparing the offenses here. Fuentes' (Fuente's for those who are new here) offense is not a spread, it is more similar to what Stiney/Beamer used to run than a true spread. And yes, most of the regulars here like myself know when Stiney was at Tech and how many championships we won during that period.

Happy New Year.

The offensive systems are different enough (Steiney to Fuente) its the nature of the play calling that seems the same. Conservative head scratchers. Damndest thing I've ever seen, we drive the field and score at will then seem to take possessions off. What's also puzzling is we find something that works and quit doing it...sometimes for several games at a time...like we are trying to hide it from future opponents. I guess Fuente has his reasons just seems odd.

I don’t think he last more than 2 years

No one is blaming Stiney for anything. We are just comparing the offenses here. Fuentes' (Fuente's for those who are new here) offense is not a spread, it is more similar to what Stiney/Beamer used to run than a true spread. And yes, most of the regulars here like myself know when Stiney was at Tech and how many championships we won during that period.

Happy New Year.

You must not have read fairlawncat's post.

You must not have read fairlawncat's post.
I have. I don't agree with him for the most part. Recruiting tanked in Beamer's final years because other coaches started negative recruiting due to his age. This staff started barely in their 40's and don't have that working against them and yet they are still averaging classes in high 20's. They should be able to recruit way better than they are.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT