ADVERTISEMENT

Talk about the coming FSU and Notre Dame games

Duo

Hokie Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2006
What do you think about the season opener in Tallahassee? FSU will feature a new HC and a new slate of assistants. The vibe in Tallahassee this year is a 180 degree change from last year when Jimbo Fisher basically sold out and gave up on the players and the team. HC Willie Taggart will feature a high octane, super fast break, spread offense. Have the Hokies faced many offenses like that and how did they do in the past? Will Bud Foster be doing anything special for this game?

Look for FSU to feature two 5 star RB's.........Laborn and Akers. Both are explosive and can take it the distance on most any play. The Noles will feature a full slate of receivers but look for 6'4" red shirt freshman Tamorrion Terry. He is being compared to Randy Moss. And right now it is uncertain who will be the starting QB for the Noles.

How will the Hokie offense look this year? What will it look like and what can we expect?

And looking ahead what are your thoughts on playing at home against Notre Dame? ND's QB has a big problem completing passes over 10 or 15 yards. So if Bud's defense can stop the ND run that should allow the Hokies an opportunity to play a ball control game and run the clock. It would be a nice advantage to get the lead early on. Thoughts, ideas, comments?

In the past when we've had great RBs you just kept giving them the ball and eventually they broke the games open. And FSU has 2. That's bad news for us and all opponents this year for the Noles. We are supposed to loose and besides, 1 early lose doesn't hurt as bad as a late season lose, so we don't have any pressure which is good. We going to try to keep all the plays in front of us and stop the run with 7-8 near the line and not give the QB time to pass deep. We'll see what happens.

I don't like either game. We agree to "travel" too much for season openers. We should open at home, most years. We should never play Notre Dame.

I don't like either game. We agree to "travel" too much for season openers. We should open at home, most years. We should never play Notre Dame.

"never play ND". ???

Why would you say that? 2016 at ND stadium VT won 34-31! Now you've got them at home with lots of national attention. And FWIW, ND fans are nervous as hell about playing in Blacksburg. Great opportunity to make a statement for the program!

Last edited:
Reactions: bschroed
I hate Notre Dame for a variety of reasons:

1. NCAA gives them too many favors that other schools don't get.
2. Notre Dame should not be in ACC
3. Back in 2000(I believe), Fiesta Bowl picked ND over a higher ranked VT team for a BCS bowl .

Notre Dame "won one for the Gipper" years ago. They are still being rewarded.

2 VT defensive players in the NFL Draft in the first round! Congrats to Bud Foster for coaching up 2 three stars! He does a great job year in and year out. With 4 starters returning on defense VT will have a lot of young guys on the team defensively this year. What are your thoughts on that?

Recruits should look at draft and get another reason for picking VT over UVA.
Unfortunately they do look at the draft, and schools like Alabama, FSU, Clemson, and Ohio States of the world win those battles every time. Just ask all those 5-stars that left the state the last 6-7 years and they'll tell you that is exactly why they picked those schools over UVA and VT.

Duo,
You already start DOZENS of threads on the ND board pretending to “just want to talk about football” but you always bash N.D. & praise your Seminoles.
So now you come to a VT board to talk trash about N.D.?
Why?

3. Back in 2000(I believe), Fiesta Bowl picked ND over a higher ranked VT team for a BCS bowl .

What favors?
ND football is not in the ACC.
It’s N.D.’s fault the BCS made a decision?

The Gipper was over 100 years ago. ND has won double digit National Titles since then. ND also has been cheated out of titles since then. ND is “rewarded” for playing everyone, everywhere, every year.

Notre Dame has that deal where they play 5 ACC schools each year. For years the NCAA has treated ND "as a conference", i.e. the ND athletic director basically has same power as conference commissioners. He attends meetings in which no other ADs are invited. (with conference commissioners).
The ACC was stupid to bring Notre Dame into conference in all sports except football. Notre Dame should have been forced to join Big 10. No school in Indiana belongs in ACC.

If you are a program like FSU in the other division, you play Notre Dame more often than VT.

I like having a brand name opponent that you play on average twice as much as a team from the other division.

I don't like divisions within a conference. It creates unbalanced schedules. Also some teams play tougher schedules than others.

In the past when we've had great RBs you just kept giving them the ball and eventually they broke the games open. And FSU has 2. That's bad news for us and all opponents this year for the Noles. We are supposed to loose and besides, 1 early lose doesn't hurt as bad as a late season lose, so we don't have any pressure which is good. We going to try to keep all the plays in front of us and stop the run with 7-8 near the line and not give the QB time to pass deep. We'll see what happens.
we have 3, 5 star running backs, Senior Jacquez Patrick...just sayin

What do you think about the season opener in Tallahassee? FSU will feature a new HC and a new slate of assistants. The vibe in Tallahassee this year is a 180 degree change from last year when Jimbo Fisher basically sold out and gave up on the players and the team. HC Willie Taggart will feature a high octane, super fast break, spread offense. Have the Hokies faced many offenses like that and how did they do in the past? Will Bud Foster be doing anything special for this game?

Look for FSU to feature two 5 star RB's.........Laborn and Akers. Both are explosive and can take it the distance on most any play. The Noles will feature a full slate of receivers but look for 6'4" red shirt freshman Tamorrion Terry. He is being compared to Randy Moss. And right now it is uncertain who will be the starting QB for the Noles.

How will the Hokie offense look this year? What will it look like and what can we expect?

And looking ahead what are your thoughts on playing at home against Notre Dame? ND's QB has a big problem completing passes over 10 or 15 yards. So if Bud's defense can stop the ND run that should allow the Hokies an opportunity to play a ball control game and run the clock. It would be a nice advantage to get the lead early on. Thoughts, ideas, comments?

You forgot Patrick is a 5 star running back too and he will play a lot in this game like Cam Akers. He is bigger and more of a bruiser. I expect Laborn to play some just to keep fresh legs in the game for FSU in the 4th Quarter

If Francis starts for FSU you guys are in trouble

One thing about it..........Labor Day Monday night, September 3rd the entire CFB nation will be tuned in to watch the Seminoles and Hokies! And that includes all the recruits as well. This is a great opportunity and a great match up. Here's to a fantastic, injury free game. Best wishes to all Hokie fans. Enjoy everything in Tallahassee. May the best team win. ;)

Wondering how the Noles will do against a Bud Foster defense. Can the O line protect?

Can the Center hold his own and not get blown by like I have seen in the past?

Will the Nole QB play tentavily after blowing out his knee in the opener last year?

I am hopeful that the Nole O-line has not jelled yet for the opening. Seems it takes a game or two for that to happen. If we can camp out in the Nole backfield we might have a slight sliver of a hope to pull out a miracle. If nothing else, keep the game a close, competitive one. I would love to keep it under 10 points either way.

I am hopeful that the Nole O-line has not jelled yet for the opening. Seems it takes a game or two for that to happen. If we can camp out in the Nole backfield we might have a slight sliver of a hope to pull out a miracle. If nothing else, keep the game a close, competitive one. I would love to keep it under 10 points either way.
The OL is clearly the big question mark for Nole fans. For the last several years, there was talk (hope?) going into the season that the OL had improved but that clearly wasn't the case (at least in pass pro). We will see. Let's hope that both teams remain healthy and go on to beat the crap out of Miami.

rooting for VT

You know good and well the chances are FSU and Miami will both be undefeated when they meet. And it will be better for both that way. Best pull for your rival! Makes it a lot more interesting! Bwahahahahaahahaah! :D:cool::mad:

VT should maybe have did like many teams, schedule a cupcake for opener.

I gained 5 pounds just looking at who some teams played yesterday.

You know good and well the chances are FSU and Miami will both be undefeated when they meet. And it will be better for both that way. Best pull for your rival! Makes it a lot more interesting! Bwahahahahaahahaah! :D:cool::mad:
Miami better start putting up some points on LSU in a hurry then.

Miami-LSU

A tale of two halfs....Miami had a horrific first half...then went 17-0 against LSU in the second half.

LOL um no

On point 2) ACC needs Notre Dame; Notre Dame needs ACC for other sports. That said Notre Dame will never ever join the B10. Notre Dame will be independent as long as it makes sense for them. If they join a conference it will be the ACC.

On point 3. VA Tech is Va Tech a regional team, Notre Dame is national the money comes with that so do the ratings. Regardless of the outcome of a bowl game that is the way it works. Va tech in 2001 played Clemson in the Gator and the Irish played Oregon State in the Fiesta. Notre Dame was ranked 10th at the time.

On point 1) what the heck are you talking about? Notre Dame has power and means a lot to ratings on TV because when they are on people watch when VA Tech is on do they get the same ratings?

The ACC does not need ND. Nor does ACC need Louisville, Syracuse, Pittsburgh or even Boston College.

The ACC does not need ND. Nor does ACC need Louisville, Syracuse, Pittsburgh or even Boston College.
Back to the ACC we grew up with?

The four NC schools, Maryland, Virginia and Clemson.

With all of these schools as independents:

VA Tech
ND
Miami
FSU
Syracuse
Pitt
BC
Louisville

Is that what you're thinkiing?

On point 2) ACC needs Notre Dame; Notre Dame needs ACC for other sports. That said Notre Dame will never ever join the B10. Notre Dame will be independent as long as it makes sense for them. If they join a conference it will be the ACC.

On point 3. VA Tech is Va Tech a regional team, Notre Dame is national the money comes with that so do the ratings. Regardless of the outcome of a bowl game that is the way it works. Va tech in 2001 played Clemson in the Gator and the Irish played Oregon State in the Fiesta. Notre Dame was ranked 10th at the time.

On point 1) what the heck are you talking about? Notre Dame has power and means a lot to ratings on TV because when they are on people watch when VA Tech is on do they get the same ratings?

on point 3: VT was ranked higher than ND. VT had just come off one of the most exciting National Championship Games and had arguably the most exciting player in history playing his last game. It was a travesty, and Oregon State incurred a record yardage for penalties in a game and still trounced ND. I repeat, it was a travesty and this from a life long up until that time ND fan.

Simple solution, travel better. Other than the semi-finals and finals, bowls are for one reason and one reason only - to fill up local hotels and restaurants.

on point 3: VT was ranked higher than ND. VT had just come off one of the most exciting National Championship Games and had arguably the most exciting player in history playing his last game. It was a travesty, and Oregon State incurred a record yardage for penalties in a game and still trounced ND. I repeat, it was a travesty and this from a life long up until that time ND fan.

Boo Hoo
And that is Notre Dame's fault how? your beef should not be with Notre Dame but the committees who decide this. And there are reasons: TV revenues. Va Tech is a good FB program but it does not have national interest. Even if Notre dame did or did not deserve that bowl game is not the point. They look at revenue potential especially then. And even with non playoff games they view it as who is the best match up and who will generate the most revenue for that game. More than who travels well. My suggestion is win the ACC get into the playoffs for a couple years and people will develop some national interest in VA Tech until then you are regional program that will have some regional interest.

The Fiesta Bowl was part of BCS, and a crooked part at that. I recall the bowl getting into trouble. I can't remember exactly what they did, but it was bad. I will try to research it.

The BCS folks should have dropped Fiesta and added the Peach Bowl to BCS rotation.

The Fiesta Bowl committed many NCAA and Bowl violations with giving away illegal gifts, mostly to political office holders. Whoever runs bowl games should have eliminated the Fiesta Bowl.

As for Notre Dame, ACC should have nothing to do with Notre Dame. Don't even play them for non conference games.

Can't see why your holding ND responsible for that. Teams don't invite themselves to bowl games, they have to be invited.

Reactions: zonairish
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT