ADVERTISEMENT

Taymon Cook in Football, Mac McClung in Hoops. What's the deal?

lucustookis

All-American
Jul 7, 2007
I am seeing major offers for these 2 Southwest Va kids by other schools, but not Virginia Tech. Does anyone have info on these 2 kids? I have many close friends still in the Blacksburg area, and they tell me the Cook kid is a WR/DB type from Tazewell County, VA, that has offers from WV, UVA, and now Florida, but not yet from VT? What's the deal? Can the kid play or not? Why would Florida come to Southwestern Va and offer before VT?

Finally, a kid named McClung is supposed to be all world at Gate City in Hoops and has big time offers to include scoring around 60 points in a playoff game and apparently, doing well on an elite AAU team. Why has Tech not offered? His father played football at VT according to one of my colleagues, and one says he in fact, did not play at VT in football. Anyone know of these 2 athletes and what is the deal? Can they play? Can they not play? Is it a case of far Southwestern Va getting missed again in recruiting, or is it a case of VT simply not feeling they can play at VT or at the D1 level? According to my sources, they have major Div 1 offers and this is a bit rare for kids in far Southwestern VA to have offers at the major Div 1 level and Virginia Tech not being one of them.

P.S. This is the first time in Virginia Tech football history that we have 2 WR four star commits. We have had classes where we have athletes at 4 star or for example, 1 4 star WR and 1 athlete that we later move to WR, but this is the first class in our history in which we have 2 players that are legitimate 4 star players that are recruited as wide receivers and the plan is for them to play WR at Tech. It's not the case of the ole "Stiney and Beamer shuffle" where we recruit a TE and tell everyone how we got an All American QB, or an athlete and tell everyone how good of a WR he is, or a DE, and move him to OL, etc. I think you get the point. We have 2 legitimate High School All-American potential-type wide receivers coming to Blacksburg which is the first time in school history for 1 recruiting class.

Last edited:
Yeah Lucas I'm excited about how recruiting is going on also for the skill positions. The QBs we have in town (plus the 2 in the class of 18) along with all the speed and play-makers we can work with in the months to come have me very anxious for Summer practice to start.

Let me name some other things I've read. We have: a former Kansas QB starter walking on to compete this Fall, a RB and a center forgoing free rides at other schools just to play at VT, a former high school Parade AA WR from Ohio State that's coming to town to play his last yr, and a great rising true sophmore WR leaving his starting job at Ball State to sit a yr to play for VT

I hate it when a player from SWVA rejects VT to go to some scumbag school. I believe we have lost a couple to Tennessee in past 2 or 3 years.

I hate it when a player from SWVA rejects VT to go to some scumbag school. I believe we have lost a couple to Tennessee in past 2 or 3 years.

I don't like it either, but.....Tech has to at least offer. I don't know if we have offered Cook or McClung which is why I made the post. I know we were in on James Mitchell early on. He's a 4 star TE recruited by about everyone on the East Coast. I hope we get him. I hear he's a stud and by looking at HUDL clips, he is in fact, a stud. The link with VT and Gate City High School in football goes back for decades as we have had several players (actually star players) play from Gate City in football, but I don't know about Hoops. That's different. The McClung kid also looks like a solid player in the clips I have seen, but that's why Buzz is paid the big bucks. I also trust the heck out of Buzz and Coach Fu. We are fortunate to have them. I like overall trend in our recruiting in football and basketball. Things are heading in a positive direction.

I don't know anything about Cook or McClung.

I forgot to mention that we also have who many think was the best dual-threat QB in FL last year walking on as an athlete this Fall also at VT.

I don't think Cook or McClung have any offers from major schools, so it does not surprise me that Fuente and Buzz do not have much interest.

So WVU and UVA aren't major?

I assume you are talking about Cooke with the offers from WVU and UVA. Regarding McClung in Basketball, he has offers from Butler, Rutgers, and Georgetown, Yale, Air Force, and high interest from Marquette, Cinci, and Gonzaga, but no offers from these 3 yet according to 247 sports. Cooke also has an offer from ECU according to 247 sports. As for WVU and UVA, I think both can be considered as definite Major offers. Any power 5 conference offer in football is a pretty big deal. I do not see an offer yet from Florida in football for Cooke on 247 sports.

I assume you are talking about Cooke with the offers from WVU and UVA. Regarding McClung in Basketball, he has offers from Butler, Rutgers, and Georgetown, Yale, Air Force, and high interest from Marquette, Cinci, and Gonzaga, but no offers from these 3 yet according to 247 sports. Cooke also has an offer from ECU according to 247 sports. As for WVU and UVA, I think both can be considered as definite Major offers. Any power 5 conference offer in football is a pretty big deal. I do not see an offer yet from Florida in football for Cooke on 247 sports.

Speaking of Rutgers - they offered Taymon Cooke today

Tech hasn't gotten a commitment from any of the top 25 players from the state of Virginia. None from the 757, none from Nor Va., none from Gate City. Makes no sense. Its great that we're getting some good players from elsewhere but we also need to recruit the best players from in-state and keep the from going to Penn State,Clemson or god forbid, UNC.

McClung was told to his face by an assistant that he wasn't athletic enough and now it wouldn't matter they pissed him off probably commits to TENN this weekend

What's even a bigger joke is no offer for Blacksburg's own Cole Beck national runner up in the 100m as a junior.

I have watched some recent video of all 3 in the discussion in this thread, Beck of Blacksburg, Cook of Graham, and McClung in basketball from Gate City. In my opinion only, I can see why we have not offered the two in football. No question, Beck is world class speed-Olympic potential qualifying type speed, and Cook has insane speed as well and as far as quickness, well......he's lightening quick. But, in watching both of them on video, they are "stiff" and "upright" in their running. I don't think this is an issue for Cook at WR because if you are fast, it does not matter whether you are "stiff" in running as long as you can catch it. He appears to be very quick....as in lightening quick, but I have heard his hands are not close to FBS level. I suspect his hands are the issue we haven't offered. As for Beck, I see very little quickness or elusiveness at the line of scrimmage. He does not run with a low center of gravity either. No question, if he gets a step, it's lights out, but track stars do not usually make great running backs in college and pro's unless you are one with a low center of gravity, and you also have great quickness (Herchel Walker and Bo Jackson, and at Tech, Lee Suggs and David Wilson). All of these guys had a low center of gravity and were shifty and elusive at the line of scrimmage. Of course, Jackson and Walker could also run over you which made them all time greats in American Football history. I think this is the reason we have not offered Beck. I think a smart approach would be to OFFER Beck for the Whip position. I know, he's 6'1 and 185. Get him in the weight room and bulk him up to 210, and let him play Whip. This is where his speed would benefit him and VT.

Lastly, I think we have made an all-out mistake on McClung from GC. Now of course, it's not over, we could still offer and I love Buzz and think he's among the best and about every decision he's made since being in Blacksburg has been solid, just like he was in Milwaukee at Marquette, but.............I think we got this one wrong. This kid can PLAY. He's going to not just be a player at the Div 1 level, but he's going to be a star. From quickness to shooting to ball handling to incredible leaping ability for a kid who is 6-2 and likely will get another inch to 6'3 by the end of his senior year and the incredible ability to score the basketball by shooting from the 5 second line, or blowing by the defender and then dunking the ball down the lane, this kid can play and we are making a mistake by not getting him. For Cook and Beck, I know it's probably controversial for fans of VT in Blacksburg and SWVA, but I can see why we haven't offered. It's at least a 50-50 call, but I think the kid from Gate City is major mistake by not offering. He can not only play, he would be an All Conference Type Player in the ACC for VT in my opinion. Now with that written.....time will tell on all three and coaches get paid the big bucks for a reason. I think we end up offering McClung. He's not just dominating at the High School level, but he's dominating in AAU from what I am reading and AAU starts up again this month. It's a matter of time before other ACC and SEC schools offer him. Watch and see come late August what his offers are.

I have watched some recent video of all 3 in the discussion in this thread, Beck of Blacksburg, Cook of Graham, and McClung in basketball from Gate City. In my opinion only, I can see why we have not offered the two in football. No question, Beck is world class speed-Olympic potential qualifying type speed, and Cook has insane speed as well and as far as quickness, well......he's lightening quick. But, in watching both of them on video, they are "stiff" and "upright" in their running. I don't think this is an issue for Cook at WR because if you are fast, it does not matter whether you are "stiff" in running as long as you can catch it. He appears to be very quick....as in lightening quick, but I have heard his hands are not close to FBS level. I suspect his hands are the issue we haven't offered. As for Beck, I see very little quickness or elusiveness at the line of scrimmage. He does not run with a low center of gravity either. No question, if he gets a step, it's lights out, but track stars do not usually make great running backs in college and pro's unless you are one with a low center of gravity, and you also have great quickness (Herchel Walker and Bo Jackson, and at Tech, Lee Suggs and David Wilson). All of these guys had a low center of gravity and were shifty and elusive at the line of scrimmage. Of course, Jackson and Walker could also run over you which made them all time greats in American Football history. I think this is the reason we have not offered Beck. I think a smart approach would be to OFFER Beck for the Whip position. I know, he's 6'1 and 185. Get him in the weight room and bulk him up to 210, and let him play Whip. This is where his speed would benefit him and VT.

Lastly, I think we have made an all-out mistake on McClung from GC. Now of course, it's not over, we could still offer and I love Buzz and think he's among the best and about every decision he's made since being in Blacksburg has been solid, just like he was in Milwaukee at Marquette, but.............I think we got this one wrong. This kid can PLAY. He's going to not just be a player at the Div 1 level, but he's going to be a star. From quickness to shooting to ball handling to incredible leaping ability for a kid who is 6-2 and likely will get another inch to 6'3 by the end of his senior year and the incredible ability to score the basketball by shooting from the 5 second line, or blowing by the defender and then dunking the ball down the lane, this kid can play and we are making a mistake by not getting him. For Cook and Beck, I know it's probably controversial for fans of VT in Blacksburg and SWVA, but I can see why we haven't offered. It's at least a 50-50 call, but I think the kid from Gate City is major mistake by not offering. He can not only play, he would be an All Conference Type Player in the ACC for VT in my opinion. Now with that written.....time will tell on all three and coaches get paid the big bucks for a reason. I think we end up offering McClung. He's not just dominating at the High School level, but he's dominating in AAU from what I am reading and AAU starts up again this month. It's a matter of time before other ACC and SEC schools offer him. Watch and see come late August what his offers are.

Cooke's hands may or may not be an issue..I haven't really heard much of that.. but WVU is recruiting him as a cornerback where hands aren't as important. I read an article where they said he was the top performer at the WVU camp last week and ur seems like rgwte making a big push for him. I think his top choice has always been VT, and they still may offer in the future, but it may be too late by then.

From a close friend who was at the Tech camp, Cook's hands were an issue, but his speed was daunting. I wish VT would offer both Cooke and Beck. They are likely the fastest two kids in the state of Va at the high school level. Well, Beck in fact is the fastest EVER by recorded time at the Va High School Level. Credit WVU for recruiting Cooke at DB. With the speed of this kid, he could be deadly in the defensive backfield and dangerous on kick returns to house it each time he touches it.

Again, Beck just has to much speed to not offer. I'm sorry, when you have literally potential Olympic qualifying speed, you don't let a kid like this go. I could still see him gaining 20lbs of muscle and being an out of this world Whip LB for VT, which is a spot we have really struggled at compared to where we were 10-20 yrs ago. It's not like a RB would outrun him in the flats catching a ball, and his closing speed against run and pass option on every play offenses is exactly what is needed from all linebackers in today's offense-dominated football world.

With the above written and eluding to some of what you wrote regarding Cooke being recruited in the secondary by WVU, I think we are looking at the wrong positions for both players. Cooke shouldn't be recruited or have interest at WR by VT and Beck shouldn't have interest/recruitment by VT at RB. Both in my opinion should be defensive recruits, and it worries me that both will go to an opponent and have outstanding college careers, and we are kicking ourselves how to in our own backyard weren't offered by VT.

I feel 100% confident about the above statement with McClung in basketball. We should have offered 2 or 3 months ago when he dropped 64 points on Dan River.

We have a noted "workaholic" head coach in CJF and college footballs best DC in Bud Foster. I tend to think more of their player evaluation than any other source or program. We are DBU, I have to believe that switching Cooke and Beck to defense isnt something that hasnt been considered. I dont like to miss on in-state recruits but we are flirting with a top 10 recruiting class and in good shape with several top targets. With that, its hard to bitch about passing on in-state talent that "might" work out in some other program or offering a kid just to keep somebody else from getting him.

I don't think Cook or McClung have any offers from major schools, so it does not surprise me that Fuente and Buzz do not have much interest.
.........excuse me sir but WVU leads the alltime series with Va Tech 28-20-1.....I believe that makes us a major program

.........excuse me sir but WVU leads the alltime series with Va Tech 28-20-1.....I believe that makes us a major program
Any Power 5 Conference team is a major program. So WVU is of course one. Yes you lead the series but relevance goes to the past 10 years where we lead 7-3. :)

Good for him if he got an offer from WVU. Any recruit should be very proud of getting an offer from any major program. But that does not mean we should offer him. Every yer, we will offer guys that WVU might not want, and they will offer guys that we might not want.

I trust Fuente and our coaches on this one. Who knows? We could still offer him down the road if some other guys on our radar do not pan out.

Good for him if he got an offer from WVU. Any recruit should be very proud of getting an offer from any major program. But that does not mean we should offer him. Every yer, we will offer guys that WVU might not want, and they will offer guys that we might not want.

I trust Fuente and our coaches on this one. Who knows? We could still offer him down the road if some other guys on our radar do not pan out.
Agree with you 100%. Just because one program offers a recruit does not mean that recruit is a good fit for our program. We need to fill the slots we have with the best fit possible. We had an early jump on recruiting it seems so we have limited slots left.

I watched some of his highlight videos, and there wasn't anything that blows me away about him. He has decent athleticism, but it's not anything special relative to your typical ACC athlete. In fact, I'd say it's no better than average. He has a good shot, but I didn't see the quickness you describe in getting shots for himself. Most of the highlights I saw were open three's and alley-oops. What I also saw very little of was how he could break down a defense to get open looks for other people... I saw virtually zero passing.

I'll trust the coaches on this one. The guy has some skills, but there's enough missing from the tape that I understand why he hasn't been offered by Buzz and Co.

Tech hasn't gotten a commitment from any of the top 25 players from the state of Virginia. None from the 757, none from Nor Va., none from Gate City. Makes no sense. Its great that we're getting some good players from elsewhere but we also need to recruit the best players from in-state and keep the from going to Penn State,Clemson or god forbid, UNC.

I guess your not counting Chatman he is from 757 and consensus Top 10

Mcclung was the best athlete on national champion AAU team Choked full of D1 talent. He has a 46 in vertical and his athleticism is nothing special ? would really like to see what is considered special? right now as a high school senior that vertical would take him to the top of our football and basketball leader board in that dept and would not look out of place in any other test of strength or quickness. 1in shorter and jumps better and is a lot quicker than a 4* TE from Big Stone. Amazes me that people question his athleticism ?

Mcclung was the best athlete on national champion AAU team Choked full of D1 talent. He has a 46 in vertical and his athleticism is nothing special ? would really like to see what is considered special? right now as a high school senior that vertical would take him to the top of our football and basketball leader board in that dept and would not look out of place in any other test of strength or quickness. 1in shorter and jumps better and is a lot quicker than a 4* TE from Big Stone. Amazes me that people question his athleticism ?

You do know that athleticism includes things other than a vertical, right? His lateral quickness is average, I didn't seen anything outside of his leaping ability that was impressive. Again, he didn't blow me away on tape and looked like an average ACC athlete.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT