ADVERTISEMENT

The biggest problem with the hokies offense

wvdc1214

Walk-On
Aug 10, 2014
Can you guess what it is ??? In my opinion, its a major lack of creativity in the play calling plus execution by the players too however I put the major flaw on the coaches its almost like they prepare to lose.....

Is Frank Beamer

Words like execution and players not executing have been used since Bustle left in 2001-2.

Some love to blame Brewer not realizing a senior QB last year who is now in the NFL had a 102 ranked offense. This year the O is now ranked 100th. VT has had a coaching problem offensively for years and we now have offensive talent problems because the poor offensive coaching led to poor offensive play which led to lackluster recruiting. This problem is fixed by removing the core or root cause of the problem and that is Frank Beamer.

It does not matter what VT has on O. Give us 11 seniors of which 5 or 6 of them were 4 star recruits and still.....we are not moving the ball or breaking the top 40 in O. We have had it before. If lefty is gone, Beamer will still keep Stiney on staff and he will hire an OC that he and Stinespring can control leaving Stiney the defacto OC just like now. If he wanted a top or proven OC, he could not get one. They are not coming to coach for a guy about to retire anyway and who will still leave Stiney on staff and setting in the pressbox. Again...one solution only for Babs....remove the Head Coach immediately after the UVA game.

This post was edited on 11/23 1:31 PM by lucustookis

Re: Is Frank Beamer

Much as I hate to admit it , Beamer is the ultimate problem and does need to go..... on the other hand, I guess I did not realize that Beamer has that much control over the offense. That does explain alot though.

I've said it on other threads but how come so many teams have so many sacks againt us? It's because our coaches can't call plays to counter an aggressive pass rush. These plays have been around since the 50's. Their called screen passes and draw plays.

Also I thought I had seen the end of run on 1st and 2nd down, pass on 3rd, take a sack, and punt on 4th. No, that is our predictable pattern.

I hope Babcock starts seaching and finds a hire for football like he did for basketball.
This post was edited on 11/23 6:11 PM by BigDaddyHokie

The biggest problem is we have one of the worst QBs in football right now, and he is being coached by one of the worst OCs in football. I rarely get on Beamer, but I will get on him for not demanding a long time ago that we make a change at QB. I also don't like getting on players too often, but it is obvious there is no way Brewer gives us the best chance to win...no way. I cannot understand why we keep throwing away games when we clearly have a better option. For an OC at the college level to not see something so clearly is beyond shocking. I am thinking 120+ 1-A QBs plus most of their backups could have put up a 3 spot in regulation against Wake yesterday.

I cannot see any scenario where Loeffler is back, and I also cannot see any scenario where Brewer is the starting QB next year, so that alone will make us much better next year. Very rarely would I ever think a coach in waiting situation would be a good one, but with our unique situation right now, it is exactly what we need. Without officially making someone coach in waiting, we can still hire the right offensive guy who knows he has a couple of years to prove himself and possibly become head coach. I think the right OC would have enough confidence in his ability that he might be willing to come here under those circumstances because there are plenty of good OCs out there who might be wondering when and if they will ever get a head coaching chance.

Originally posted by pckank1:

Very rarely would I ever think a coach in waiting situation would be a good one, but with our unique situation right now, it is exactly what we need. Without officially making someone coach in waiting, we can still hire the right offensive guy who knows he has a couple of years to prove himself and possibly become head coach. I think the right OC would have enough confidence in his ability that he might be willing to come here under those circumstances because there are plenty of good OCs out there who might be wondering when and if they will ever get a head coaching chance.
For once we can agree on something. I also happen to believe this is our best course of action under the given circumstances. I just hope Whit Babcock also believes it and gets on with it.

It's not the QB. See LT last year with 102nd offense. Lefty is scapegoat

Last years 4 year senior QB had an offense ranked 102nd in America. LT is in the NFL. It's not Brewer's fault as I have told you. His offense is 100th in America. Blaming an individual player is useless. We have the players on offense right now BECAUSE OF OUR OFFENSE/OFFENSIVE COACHING in the past. It's not the other way around. We have had great players before on offense. I remember when guys like Montgomery and Brown were picked on for their OL play, lol. Those two are in the NFL and start. Again, USELESS to blame individual players or units.

LEFTY is a scapegoat. Again, USELESS fire him at the end of the season when Frank will simply pick another guy he can control and keep the Tight Ends Coach and former OC directly beside the new OC in the pressbox, lol. The fact is....WE HAVE NO IDEA if Lefty is good. When you leave the former OC on staff, it's difficult to tell. Stiney is still the defacto OC at VT.

Solution....As I wrote at the end of 2012. REMOVE THE HEAD COACH. HE IS THE PROBLEM. Bring in a new OC or OL coach or QB coach and have 11 five star transfers this January on offense and STILL, IT WILL NOT FIX THE PROBLEM. Also, VT can not get a proven or capable OC right now to come to Blacksburg if Lefty is fired as long as Beamer is the coach. In order to be a good or proven OC, you can't be mentally handicapped. For an OC to come to Blacksburg with Beamer on his way out, the OC would have to be mentally handicapped (not possible if he is a good OC) or this new OC would be unproven and someone who would have just been forced out (like Lefty at Auburn). Again, getting rid of Lefty? Useless, waste of time, simply another distraction to buy Coach Beamer time.
This post was edited on 11/23 6:10 PM by lucustookis

Originally posted by wvdc1214:

Much as I hate to admit it , Beamer is the ultimate problem and does need to go..... on the other hand, I guess I did not realize that Beamer has that much control over the offense. That does explain alot though.
We can give Beamer a few more years with the right OC and QB. Sure, blame Beamer for hiring Loeffler, but give him a chance with the next OC. As I said on the previous post, we should now have a chance to get a much better OC than Loeffler because of the head coach possibility. I don't think too many OCs wanted the job a few years ago because guys were getting fired and demoted after a lot of success, so we had to settle for Loeffler. But, after the past few seasons, and with Beamer not getting any younger, OCs might be looking at things differently now.

When blaming Beamer and not the OC and/or QB, ask yourself what is different this year? We have had average or even below average offensive lines in the past and we still won 10 games. We started freshman WRs before and still won 10 games. We won 10 games before Williams and Wilson were big time running backs. We had bad injuries in past seasons, but won 10 games. We have never had dominant recruiting classes, but still won 10 games. You blame Beamer for having control over the offense, but from 2009-2011, we had offenses ranked 50th, 41st, and 35th. We won 10 games with Tyrod and Randall, and also won 10 games with Logan and Glennon. So, as I said earlier, ask yourself what is different this year? No doubt about it, this year is on the QB and OC.

The offense isnt designed to score touchdowns. We just want to gain a few yards, kick field goals and punt. Even pass plays are not designed to score, nor even big plays. Yesterday Brewer had 15 completions for only 126 yards.

The biggest problem is we have one of the worst QBs in football right now, and he is being coached by one of the worst OCs in football. I rarely get on Beamer, but I will get on him for not demanding a long time ago that we make a change at QB. I also don't like getting on players too often, but it is obvious there is no way Brewer gives us the best chance to win...no way. I cannot understand why we keep throwing away games when we clearly have a better option. For an OC at the college level to not see something so clearly is beyond shocking. I am thinking 120+ 1-A QBs plus most of their backups could have put up a 3 spot in regulation against Wake yesterday.

I cannot see any scenario where Loeffler is back, and I also cannot see any scenario where Brewer is the starting QB next year, so that alone will make us much better next year. Very rarely would I ever think a coach in waiting situation would be a good one, but with our unique situation right now, it is exactly what we need. Without officially making someone coach in waiting, we can still hire the right offensive guy who knows he has a couple of years to prove himself and possibly become head coach. I think the right OC would have enough confidence in his ability that he might be willing to come here under those circumstances because there are plenty of good OCs out there who might be wondering when and if they will ever get a head coaching chance.
I was going to post something - but no need after reading this - Pretty much agree 100%.

Our offense is what Frank Beamer will allow it to be. Loeffler is a "yes man". Any future hire under Beamer will be a "yes man" as well. No competant OC is going to come to Blacksburg to try to implement an offense under a head coach who celebrates a zero to zero score at the end of regulation and is quoted as saying- we need the offense to help the defense win. We might as well have kept Stiney as OC and used another recruit as a duel threat QB. At least a running QB makes the offense somewhat unpredictable with his feet and the OL already knows how to block for it. To try to implement a offensive system under Beamer was useless. I should have known better...

Originally posted by wvdc1214:

We can give Beamer a few more years with the right OC and QB. Sure, blame Beamer for hiring Loeffler, but give him a chance with the next OC. As I said on the previous post, we should now have a chance to get a much better OC than Loeffler because of the head coach possibility. I don't think too many OCs wanted the job a few years ago because guys were getting fired and demoted after a lot of success, so we had to settle for Loeffler. But, after the past few seasons, and with Beamer not getting any younger, OCs might be looking at things differently now.

When blaming Beamer and not the OC and/or QB, ask yourself what is different this year? We have had average or even below average offensive lines in the past and we still won 10 games. We started freshman WRs before and still won 10 games. We won 10 games before Williams and Wilson were big time running backs. We had bad injuries in past seasons, but won 10 games. We have never had dominant recruiting classes, but still won 10 games. You blame Beamer for having control over the offense, but from 2009-2011, we had offenses ranked 50th, 41st, and 35th. We won 10 games with Tyrod and Randall, and also won 10 games with Logan and Glennon. So, as I said earlier, ask yourself what is different this year? No doubt about it, this year is on the QB and OC.
No, guys didn't want the job because Beamer is in the twilight of his career, and there is no long-term security as a result. It has absolutely nothing to do with demotions or firings. If anything, that is what brings appeal to potential coaches because VT has one of the lowest turnover rates of any coaching staff in the FBS, especially at this level. The only coach I can recall Beamer actually firing prior to O'Cain and Newsome (who were both worthless coaches) was Pearman and that was ages ago. In almost 30 years, I can think of 3 positional coaches who were let go outright and you think that's why no-one would come? Please. Why on earth would that scare off potential coaches?

There are a lot of reasons we're different: one is Loeffler being a garbage OC, but we were 7-6 in 2012 with Stinespring/O'Cain/Newsome. Why? Our QB "pipeline" to the 757 dried up. That's a huge reason why we're not doing well. We're accustomed to having that playmaker at QB to bail us out when our offense inevitably fails by design. We also don't have a slam-dunk, surefire All-ACC and/or NFL RB on our roster, and our recruiting at both the defensive line and offensive line positions has been awful for years and it's catching up to us.

There isn't any one single reason, and looking for the single-most source of causality at this point is pretty useless and for people who don't want to think. The bottom line is Beamer needs to go now, and we're not going to attract any serious OC talent unless he does. No-one is going to want to come and do a two-year stopover in Blacksburg unless they are guaranteed a HCIW deal afterwards and that simply is not going to happen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT