ADVERTISEMENT

The changes are showing results.

Little to Late. At this point, the talent level has dropped to the point that we are a 6-6 team AT BEST, probably 5-7ish and possibly, could slump to 4-8ish. This is the talent level we have right now, this coming Septemer and for the next 3 yeears at least. So, the changes made a small dent in recruiting, but it's to late. The damage is done. We now go 5-7, to 6-6 on the field over the next 3 years, and when you do that, you don't recruit well, regardless of the changes.

Right now it looks like a 6-6 year at best. I tend to agree with Fairlawncat, it will take several years to recover. VT has average talent and that results in average records. I do think our players try very hard each week and do not fault their efforts. I remember when folks on this site were complaining about Beamer and Stinny winning 10 games a year, but couldn't win the big ones.

If changes are made I hope our AD promotes from within, ala Clemson, where Dabo took over and they never skipped a beat and got great. There ought to be a dynamic coach on staff ready to take that step. I'm too old to see our program loose the recruits we have then start over which will take years.

Who on the staff would be a candidate for HC ? Fuente should have been fired immediately after the game, for punting with 4:47 left, trailing by 2 scores. His remarks as to why, didn't make sense when trailing by 14. Trailing by 7 might have justified punting.
VT has almost no passing attack. Fuente has done a poor job recruiting and developing quarterbacks. Almost impossible to win without a high powered aerial attack in D1 football.

This whole staff needs to go. They dont recruit well and they dont prepare and develope players they do get. JHam might make a good coach one day but DC was too much of a jump and he's in over his head.

See my post above back in August. It's to late. Here's the problem we now have It's very, very, very difficult to tell "who's a good coach and who's a bad coach." Why? I refer back to the talent problem. When Fu took over, he wasn't the best recruiter. We struggled some. He was already a mediocre on field coach, and within 3-4 years, you now have slightly less than average ACC talent with a mediocre coach and that leads to 6 and 6's. When you get 6 and 6's, this perpetuates the recruiting problem. It even gets worse where you have even less talent, and add that to the coach who is still the Head Coach, and you start to get losing seasons (this year).

Based on all of the above, you have a guy like JHam who has one hand tied behind his back. He's coaching in a system with a far, far, far below average offensive system and offensive coaching and now, lack of offensive talent which keeps the defense on the field much more. Added to this, the talent on the defensive side of the ball isn't there, and whooooollllaaaa. This is what Jham is facing. This is what he has to deal with. So, I know this may sound crazy, but I think JHam is actually above average. The sad thing is, when a system like we have is so devolved in Head Coaching and now Talent, it's very, very difficult to tell or assess if a guy like JHAM or the position coaches are good or not good. They are already starting with a stacked (or lack thereof) deck against them.

The defensive players aren't being developed either. That's my problem with JHam. Most of these guys have played college football for 3 to 5 yrs as high 3stars and 4stars and aren't much better than they were when they arrived. The 3man fronts and soft coverage is killing me. I hate what this defense has become. They give QBs all day to work. Aggressive defense worked against UNC and like everything else that works, they moved away from it. More often than not, an opponents inability to move the ball is a product o of their offense not executing and not the defense making a play.

Reactions: Fairlawncat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT