ADVERTISEMENT

The football season in review

hokieinc-ville

New Recruit
Jul 17, 2009
A few thoughts about the season in the rear view mirror.
  • Evans, Hodges, and Ford not coming back kept Tech from being in the top 10. Hope they're doing ok wherever they might be right now.. Hope their agents are now driving an UBER.
  • The play-calling dropped off from last year for whatever reason. Maybe the coaches weren't confidant in asking this years players to take on more than they could handle.
  • Bud Foster is absolutely the best defensive coordinator in the country. Congrats to him for a great year.
  • They jury's out on Josh Jackson, For a freshman, he played well at times but it seemed that he didn't deliver in key situations. Perhaps with a years experience, he'll step up next year.
  • We really need the big running back who can pick up 3 yards on 3rd down. That hurt Tech all year.
  • A really good recruiting class. Looking forward to seeing what they can do in a year or two.
  • So, I do think Tech did better this year than I expected. A lot of teams including the boys down the street would be thrilled to be 9-4. It will be interesting to see what the schedule looks like for next year.

The "team down the street" would slobber all over themselves if they went 9-4.

Does anyone know if Navy's beat down of UVA was the biggest bowl blowout this season. I talked with a boo hoo fan other day and he told me Boo Hoos were the "worst prepared" team he has ever seen play a bowl game. He said Mendenhall should have been fired before he left the Naval Academy Stadium.

The "team down the street" would slobber all over themselves if they went 9-4.

Does anyone know if Navy's beat down of UVA was the biggest bowl blowout this season. I talked with a boo hoo fan other day and he told me Boo Hoos were the "worst prepared" team he has ever seen play a bowl game. He said Mendenhall should have been fired before he left the Naval Academy Stadium.
It’s was only the 2nd worst...at least we got that going for us.

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
It’s was only the 2nd worst...at least we got that going for us.

The Hoos stayed at a big hotel in DC and went on tours of museums and visited kids in a hospital. Between the lack of preparation and the cold weather, they looked like they really didn't want to be there. Even the TV commentators kept talking about it. They should have stayed home.

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
Some other team should have received the invitation. With the reported 40,000 UVA Alumni in the area, I wonder how many made it to game ?

Some other team should have received the invitation. With the reported 40,000 UVA Alumni in the area, I wonder how many made it to game ?
39,999......I wasn’t able to go because of my wife’s trips to Duke everyday. Based on poor showing, glad I wasn’t there.

Keeping you in my prayers. Hope it stays positive.
Thanks, really appreciate the thoughts and prayers. She really is doing great, the radiation treatments are to keep the tumor from coming back. Thank goodness it wasn’t cancer. If you saw her you wouldn’t be able to tell they even operated on her, The Drs at Duke have been amazing. I can’t lie I still find it hard to pull for Duke Basketball....LOL

A few thoughts about the season in the rear view mirror.
  • Evans, Hodges, and Ford not coming back kept Tech from being in the top 10. Hope they're doing ok wherever they might be right now.. Hope their agents are now driving an UBER.
  • The play-calling dropped off from last year for whatever reason. Maybe the coaches weren't confidant in asking this years players to take on more than they could handle.
  • Bud Foster is absolutely the best defensive coordinator in the country. Congrats to him for a great year.
  • They jury's out on Josh Jackson, For a freshman, he played well at times but it seemed that he didn't deliver in key situations. Perhaps with a years experience, he'll step up next year.
  • We really need the big running back who can pick up 3 yards on 3rd down. That hurt Tech all year.
  • A really good recruiting class. Looking forward to seeing what they can do in a year or two.
  • So, I do think Tech did better this year than I expected. A lot of teams including the boys down the street would be thrilled to be 9-4. It will be interesting to see what the schedule looks like for next year.

Yeah Hoos19NC glad wifey doing well.

(Was unable to post for a while, though I had been banned.)

With only 1 WR coming back and no Cale Faris we did better than I though we would.

Now next year is a rebuilding year with 1/2 our D leaving.

I love Josh Jackson, as he has all the tools BUT speed. He looked like he had ankle weights on when he scrambled. The QB play has got to bet better because he will be better and all his competition will have to be better than him or he keeps the job.

With fast Caleb Faris coming back, Thorpe arriving in town, and our other kids with a yr of experience, we may be OK at WR. We have much talent at DB to fall back on but me thinks we will miss Tim Settle and our 2 starting LBs leaving.

I figure we'll go 8-5 or 9-4 next yr.

Last edited:
Yeah Hoos19NC glad wifey doing well.

(Was unable to post for a while, though I had been banned.)

With only 1 WR coming back and no Cale Faris we did better than I though we would.

Now next year is a rebuilding year with 1/2 our D leaving.

I love Josh Jackson, as he has all the tools BUT speed. He looked like he had ankle weights on when he scrambled. The QB pay has got to bet better because he will be better and all his competition will have to be better than him or he keeps the job.

With fast Caleb Faris coming back, Thorpe arriving in town, and our other kids with a yr of experience, we may be OK at WR. We have much talent at DB to fall back on but me thinks we will miss Tim Settle and our LBs leaving.

I figure we'll go 8-5 or 9-4 next yr.
I think dropped passes and his relative inaccuracy late hurt more than his lack of speed though...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT