ADVERTISEMENT

These officals are absolutely awful

VTHokie1001K

All-American
May 22, 2006
I hate complaining about refs, esp when we are down, but they are gifting this game to ECU. Unbelievable. If I was Beamer I'd lodge a complaint after this game, get these guys off the field. Absolutely atrocious.

The refs removed one VT TD from board on phantom 'offsides' call against VT & the personal foul calls were obscene! These refs make the Ahole ref that took Natl Championship away from the Canes and gave it to osu look legit!

Don't forget that pass interference call on VT which gave ECU a first down and then they scored a TD on the next play. Or that BS targeting call. Awful.

Another case where we play to the level of the competition. ECU is really not very good......but we chose to help them out with our "sans D" approach to this game.

ECU is garbage, but so are we. We used to aspire not to be like ECU, and ECU wanted to be like us. Now the roles have essentially been reversed. What a sad state of affairs.

We haven't reversed roles with ECU. They aren't what we once were and never have been. When they were aspiring to be us we were a good program. We just aren't that kind of program anymore. The officiating today was as horrible as I've ever seen, and so was our tackling.

The refs took one Hodges touchdown away on BS ref call that nobody saw and the 'targeting call' was Horrible. As badly as VT played on offense and defense, could've come back and tied if not for the disgraceful officiating! Refs sucked as much as VT did!

This game should have never been put in the Officials hands to begin with. No reason ECU should have even been in this game at halftime. We gave them momentum and confidence.

Reactions: VTHokie1001K
We haven't reversed roles with ECU. They aren't what we once were and never have been. When they were aspiring to be us we were a good program. We just aren't that kind of program anymore. The officiating today was as horrible as I've ever seen, and so was our tackling.

Agreed. It looked like we were trying to tackle the greased up deaf guy.

If you don't understand that reference...here

Huh? That's not even remotely close to being an accurate statement. What are you talking about?
Are you kidding, you had the ball with over 5 min. and continued to take the play clock down play after play. No sense of urgency at all. You guys have no one to blame but yourself, but if it makes you feel better to blame the refs.....go ahead. HR will agree I'm sure.

Tech football is just in the dumpster. Quit whinning because the only cure for this program is a complete over haul starting with dumping beamer

We had the ball at midfield with 2:00 left on that drive, so there was still plenty of time on the clock. All we had to do was catch wide open passes and keep the chains moving.

We had the ball at midfield with 2:00 left on that drive, so there was still plenty of time on the clock. All we had to do was catch wide open passes and keep the chains moving.

At the end of the game? No we didn't. VT got the ball on the 6 yard line with 58 seconds.

Are you kidding, you had the ball with over 5 min. and continued to take the play clock down play after play. No sense of urgency at all. You guys have no one to blame but yourself, but if it makes you feel better to blame the refs.....go ahead. HR will agree I'm sure.

What drive are you talking about Hoo?

That last drive VT got the ball on their own 6 yard line with 58 seconds left. You're not making any sense.

I mean VT's last touchdown they scored was an 8 play 95 yard drive which ate up 3 minutes. VT had one drive the entire game which lasted over 3 and a half minutes and that was in the fist half. You're making things up.

He's talking about the drive before that, when Hodges dropped the 4th down pass near midfield. The offense was taking its sweet time getting there, but there was still plenty of time left to score if we keep the chains moving.

He's talking about the drive before that, when Hodges dropped the 4th down pass near midfield.
Correct.....no sense of urgency. Running QB draws at that point looked like London was in charge. Tough loss to a team that should have been blown away, especially after you were up 14-0. Good news for you is the coastal is yours to lose.....

He's talking about the drive before that, when Hodges dropped the 4th down pass near midfield. The offense was taking its sweet time getting there, but there was still plenty of time left to score if we keep the chains moving.

Yeah but even that drive was only 2 minutes and 46 seconds. I mean c'mon. Drive was looking fine. Hodges dropped a wide open ball....we held them and still got the ball back with a minute. You're playing for one last drive to tie the ball game at that point...you have timeouts. You're playing for OT...no need to rush and leave an ECU offense time to drive for a FG.

Correct.....no sense of urgency. Running QB draws at that point looked like London was in charge. Tough loss to a team that should have been blown away, especially after you were up 14-0. Good news for you is the coastal is yours to lose.....

You don't need urgency at that point. You're playing to tie up the game and go to OT. You have more than enough time, you rush it you give ECU a chance at a long drive to kick a game winning FG. C'mon Hoo.

Yeah but even that drive was only 2 minutes and 46 seconds. I mean c'mon. Drive was looking fine. Hodges dropped a wide open ball....we held them and still got the ball back with a minute. You're nitpicking.
The point is if you had had a sense of urgency you had plenty of time for 2 real drives not one and a prayer. I'm not nitpicking, I'm calling it as I saw it. We don't have to agree but if you believe running your QB and the clock was great offensive play calling then I guess you are happy with the results.

The point is if you had had a sense of urgency you had plenty of time for 2 real drives not one and a prayer. I'm not nitpicking, I'm calling it as I saw it. We don't have to agree but if you believe running your QB and the clock was great offensive play calling then I guess you are happy with the results.

See my last post. I didn't say I agreed with the playcalling but you're completely wrong with time management.

I agree. I don't think that the late game was mismanaged. If we catch wide open passes and score and don't leave any time on the clock while doing so, we go to overtime. If we don't, then of course we don't leave ourselves any time for another drive (which is what happened), but I don't think we were trying to budget the time to support two drives there to begin with. Instead, I think we were trying to make sure we had one good drive going, which we did.

Fact of the matter is you have 2 minutes left with your timeouts and you're at mid-field down by 7. You're playing a team which has scored on you at will in the second half. You don't play a hurry up offense to give ECU the last possession. You try to score to tie it up and leave very little on the clock to force overtime. That's exactly what VT tried to do ...Bucky Hodges dropped an easy fourth down pass which would have given VT a first down on the 40 yard line with under 2 minutes. They were totally fine. Why hurry up to give ECU a couple of mins to kick a FG? It makes no sense.

Reactions: hokiemtc
I agree. I don't think that the late game was mismanaged. If we catch wide open passes and score and don't leave any time on the clock while doing so, we go to overtime. If we don't, then of course we don't leave ourselves any time for another drive (which is what happened), but I don't think we were trying to budget the time to support two drives there to begin with. Instead, I think we were trying to make sure we had one good drive going, which we did.

Exactly.

It is what it was.....all or nothing. I just felt like a lot of time was wasted. Once you got to 4th down so much time was gone, it was panick time if you didn't convert......guess what, you didn't. You had no chance to go the length of the field in a minute with the offense you were running...none...zero. JMO.

It is what it was.....all or nothing. I just felt like a lot of time was wasted. Once you got to 4th down so much time was gone, it was panick time if you didn't convert......guess what, you didn't. You had no chance to go the length of the field in a minute with the offense you were running...none...zero. JMO.

I guess we have different mindsets. No biggie. We just disagree. I don't think it was panic time though.

I think all or nothing is exactly what the coaches were thinking. It would be nice if we had the kind of offense that could go 95 yards in a minute and still leave plenty of time to score another TD later on, but we just don't. So instead of trying to pretend that we have that kind of capability, we chose instead to have our inexperienced QB and our shaky OC try to go 95 yards in 5 minutes. Which was actually working until the drop.

I agree no biggie here....tough lose. Didn't see ECU scoring in Bud like he did, strange game.

To be fair....I think Foster had his people where they were supposed to be multiple times to make a stop.....but our defenders just didn't execute and had some horrible missed tackles. Oh well, it is what it is. The ACC Coastal should be a god awful ugly mess of a battle this year....let the least awful team win! haha

Also, not having Fuller and having Stroman in there was a huge problem. Kid looked lost 95% of the time. At the end of the day, of course you want a win...but we were never going to a BCS game and this has no effect on the ACC so...let's just win those.

To be fair....I think Foster had his people where they were supposed to be multiple times to make a stop.....but our defenders just didn't execute and had some horrible missed tackles. Oh well, it is what it is. The ACC Coastal should be a god awful ugly mess of a battle this year....let the least awful team win! haha

Also, not having Fuller and having Stroman in there was a huge problem. Kid looked lost 95% of the time. At the end of the day, of course you want a win...but we were never going to a BCS game and this has no effect on the ACC so...let's just win those.
LOL....you sound like Frank now, these are just preseason games...I have said and will continue to say you can win the Coastal.

LOL....you sound like Frank now, these are just preseason games...I have said and will continue to say you can win the Coastal.

No. Like I said...of course you want to win this...my comment is coming from a fan...trying not to get too upset over this loss...of course it sucks, it sucks bad. But at the end of the day, we are an average team and we are only playing for the ACC CG....this has no effect on it. Literally the only "positive" thing you can take away from a loss like this...that the Coastal is totally open.

Edit: lol holy smokes. Frank did actually say that...that's sad.

100K is right. There was no time management issue. On our next to last possession there was not enough time to believe that we would have sufficient time for another drive. Not the way our defense was playing. That had to be considered our do or die drive. Instead, we were trying to burn clock as we went down the field so there would be no time left for ECU to bust through any more of our lousy tackling for another score.

Thinking that there was enough time left to rush for 2 possessions is the way I would expect London to play it.

I knew we weren't going 95 yds in 58 seconds in the rain with only one wr that we throw to. Despite Hodges' crucial drop, I think he is a super weapon and for whatever reason we are refusing to maximize his potential. At 6'7 he should be catching 10 per game.

100K is right. There was no time management issue. On our next to last possession there was not enough time to believe that we would have sufficient time for another drive. Not the way our defense was playing. That had to be considered our do or die drive. Instead, we were trying to burn clock as we went down the field so there would be no time left for ECU to bust through any more of our lousy tackling for another score.

Thinking that there was enough time left to rush for 2 possessions is the way I would expect London to play it.

Exactly. Thank you Jolly.

I knew we weren't going 95 yds in 58 seconds in the rain with only one wr that we throw to. Despite Hodges' crucial drop, I think he is a super weapon and for whatever reason we are refusing to maximize his potential. At 6'7 he should be catching 10 per game.

I agree Sunny...I don't know why we aren't getting him involved more. Is he not geting open or something? I don't get it. Kid is a star.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT