ADVERTISEMENT

This is painful to watch

That was the worst football game I saw all season. These are probably the two most overrated teams in all of college football.

Was our defense that good or the Hoos offense that bad? Continued bad play calling by Fuentes but not nearly as bad as Virginia. I agree, that really was the worst college game I've watched this year. But...the streak is now 14 games so I'll take it.

Was our defense that good or the Hoos offense that bad? Continued bad play calling by Fuentes but not nearly as bad as Virginia. I agree, that really was the worst college game I've watched this year. But...the streak is now 14 games so I'll take it.

l think this game is the culmination of Fuentes lack of confidence in the offense.

He's been keeping Josh Jackson on a tighter leash with every game until we've just degraded into BeamerBall 2. Whenever we go to Cam or the receivers, good things happen, but I think Jackson has drilled into him no interceptions, and no other mistakes that he's become almost frozen in his execution. Consequently,passes thrown a second late and missed or intercepted, and a second late scrambling.

On the bright side, our freshman and sophomore players are really stepping up.The D is really coming on, so next year looks bright. So we'll take the W and move on. One of the commentators said that the best hire was when Bud was hired by Fuentes and, boy, was he right. I wonder how many games have been won with Bud's D? A lot. Thanks again, Bud.

l think this game is the culmination of Fuentes lack of confidence in the offense.

He's been keeping Josh Jackson on a tighter leash with every game until we've just degraded into BeamerBall 2. Whenever we go to Cam or the receivers, good things happen, but I think Jackson has drilled into him no interceptions, and no other mistakes that he's become almost frozen in his execution. Consequently,passes thrown a second late and missed or intercepted, and a second late scrambling.

On the bright side, our freshman and sophomore players are really stepping up.The D is really coming on, so next year looks bright. So we'll take the W and move on. One of the commentators said that the best hire was when Bud was hired by Fuentes and, boy, was he right. I wonder how many games have been won with Bud's D? A lot. Thanks again, Bud.
Did't Fuentes tell Bud that his D didn't have to play perfect game anymore since his offense was going to score so many points that an average defense would be more than adequate or something along those lines? Well guess what, poor Bud is still having to play a shot out to win games. One thing is for sure, this offensive staff is way over rated. Now I know that QB and some of the receivers were true or RS freshmen, but at this time, they are basically Soph yet they are not playing like it. That is coaching and shows that this staff is just as incompetent as Stiney and Lefty were.

Did't Fuentes tell Bud that his D didn't have to play perfect game anymore since his offense was going to score so many points that an average defense would be more than adequate or something along those lines? Well guess what, poor Bud is still having to play a shot out to win games. One thing is for sure, this offensive staff is way over rated. Now I know that QB and some of the receivers were true or RS freshmen, but at this time, they are basically Soph yet they are not playing like it. That is coaching and shows that this staff is just as incompetent as Stiney and Lefty were.

I think he said something to the effect that if Bud could hold them to 20, we should win the game. We had some real O weapons last year. Not so much, this year. Except for Cam and some other flashes, we are rebuilding.

Reactions: mrjolly01
Congrats boys.....another year, same results. My take away is the best coach on either team is still Bud. Not impressed with either head coach and would say the offensive coordinator’s suck. The catch that was overturned was a joke, changed what little momentum we had garnered.

Turnovers happen. Coach should not dwell on it as much as he does. Throw ball down field. We got too conservative on offense.

All in all, the defense played as I expected. UVA basically runs a "chicken----" offense. As proof: some guy caught 10 passes for UVA and gained 9 yards. I said the defense needed to put pressure on UVA QB. He got sacked 4 times I believed. would have been a lot more, had he not dumped ball off.

It was great seeing another senior class leave Mr. Jefferson's University without having beat VT. I am just mad that they somehow managed to win 6 games to go pollute a bowl game somewhere. I hope they go to worst bowl game there is,

I think he said something to the effect that if Bud could hold them to 20, we should win the game. We had some real O weapons last year. Not so much, this year. Except for Cam and some other flashes, we are rebuilding.
Exactly. Skill positions manned by freshman players all over the field, and some key injuries too. I thought we would still beat UVA because their offense is not a good match up for our defense. Our corners shut them down and we don’t have to respect their QB to run = zero points for UVa.

We’ve seen what Fuente’s offense can do when he has some weapons. We need to just be patient and give him time to do his thing.

Exactly. Skill positions manned by freshman players all over the field, and some key injuries too. I thought we would still beat UVA because their offense is not a good match up for our defense. Our corners shut them down and we don’t have to respect their QB to run = zero points for UVa.

We’ve seen what Fuente’s offense can do when he has some weapons. We need to just be patient and give him time to do his thing.

Giving credit where credit is due, Tech held the Hoo's to 5 yards rushing missing 3 of their starters. This one ranks up there as one of Buds best games ever.
By the end of the game, the Hoos were so frustrated they were pushing the refs around. Now if we could just get an offense.

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
Will the ejected player be able to play in bowl game ? Mendenhall should sit him even if he can play. Dirty player.

He should have signed with VT anyway out of high school.

Wrong. Grass doesn't fly up from off the ground when a ball doesn't touch the ground. Player's hands were on the sides, the bottom of the ball trapped against the ground. Good effort by the WR, but not a catch.
LOL I wouldn’t expect anything different from you guys.....you may never admit it but you are flat wrong on this one....no way they saw enough to over turn.....grass flying up now that’s funny, don’t guess a guy dragging his hands on the grass could cause that....no way.

Reactions: 1TexCav

JF better thank God everyday that Bud stayed......JF hasn’t shown me anything except being smart enough to sign Bud. His offense is a joke.....both offenses last night were a joke. Both schools need new OC’s after what I watched this year. I remember JF claiming his high powered offense would make life easier for Bud....Bud should ask for another raise.

LOL I wouldn’t expect anything different from you guys.....you may never admit it but you are flat wrong on this one....no way they saw enough to over turn.....grass flying up now that’s funny, don’t guess a guy dragging his hands on the grass could cause that....no way.
I am completely with Hoos here. That WAS a catch, and if not, there wasn't enough evidence to overturn it.

Reactions: Hoos19NC
Huh? Tech is barely ranked, and UVa isn't even on the national radar at 6-6. How are either of these teams overrated, exactly?
I say overrated because neither team is nearly as good as its record indicates. On the surface we won 9 games, but when you look at it closely, 2 of those wins were against cupcakes, and 2 more were against teams that are absolutely dumpster fires (ECU and UNC). That is 4 our of 9 wins. As for UVA, they may have won 6 games coming into this game, but frankly, Delaware looked better than UVA against us.

JF better thank God everyday that Bud stayed......JF hasn’t shown me anything except being smart enough to sign Bud. His offense is a joke.....both offenses last night were a joke. Both schools need new OC’s after what I watched this year. I remember JF claiming his high powered offense would make life easier for Bud....Bud should ask for another raise.
Meh, now you are just being a hoo. CJF was ACC COY last year and his team nearly upset the the eventual national champions in the ACCCG. And his offense had plenty to do with both. Sure signing Bud was smart, but the rest of your post makes absolutely no sense. If his offensive players executed a lttle more consistently last night your whippin’ could have been much worse. Be glad you only lost by 10.

Last edited:
I say overrated because neither team is nearly as good as its record indicates. On the surface we won 9 games, but when you look at it closely, 2 of those wins were against cupcakes, and 2 more were against teams that are absolutely dumpster fires (ECU and UNC). That is 4 our of 9 wins. As for UVA, they may have won 6 games coming into this game, but frankly, Delaware looked better than UVA against us.
UVA went this season as Benkert went....I knew after 3 passes last night we had “bad” Benkert and it was over. I said going in this would be a low scoring game, my 3-0 prediction wasn’t a joke. Without the fumble deep in our territory I may have been right.

Meh, now you are just being a hoo. CJF was ACC COY last year and his team nearly upset the the eventual national champions in the ACCCG. And his offense had plenty to do with both. Sure signing was smart, but the rest of your post makes absolutely no sense. If his offensive players executed a lttle more consistently last night your whippin’ could have been much worse. Be glad you only lost by 10.
Seriously?? Your offense is a joke.....you would have gotten 3 points last night if we hadn’t gift wrapped one for you. You beat a 7-4 WV team, outside of that you haven’t beaten a real good team.....the ACC is down this year and you only played one real team in your OCC schedule. Your OL is weak....your RB’s aren’t very good....you have one real good WR and your QB was decent I thought considering he was a freshman. But he’s no game changer. But with all that said you still got Bud, your saving grace for those 9 wins. You better give that guy a statue outside the stadium.

Seriously?? Your offense is a joke.....you would have gotten 3 points last night if we hadn’t gift wrapped one for you. You beat a 7-4 WV team, outside of that you haven’t beaten a real good team.....the ACC is down this year and you only played one real team in your OCC schedule. Your OL is weak....your RB’s aren’t very good....you have one real good WR and your QB was decent I thought considering he was a freshman. But he’s no game changer. But with all that said you still got Bud, your saving grace for those 9 wins. You better give that guy a statue outside the stadium.
Our offense has struggled this year but that’s not CJF’s fault. He’s shown many times before this year he could put up good offensive numbers when he has the players. Don’t know why you fail to acknowledge what he’s done in previous years, I think that’s just hooism. As far as last night you were beaten soundly, we just didn’t score a lot of points.

Our offense has struggled this year but that’s not CJF’s fault. He’s shown many times before this year he could put up good offensive numbers when he has the players. Don’t know why you fail to acknowledge what he’s done in previous years, I think that’s just hooism. As far as last night you were beaten soundly, we just didn’t score a lot of points.
So you want me to acknowledge what JF did when he coached outside of a power 5 conference? Ok, he did well I guess, don’t really follow those schools each week. I’m just saying so far at VT I’m not exactly blown away with his high powered offense, or lack of I should say. Last year you had a tank at QB running the ball so it didn’t show up as much as this year with a smaller more timid running QB. Surely you shake your head at the play calling each week.....I know this blame can be on the OC but ultimately it falls on the HC. Never doubted you would win last night but I busted out laughing at the we didn’t score many points line.....high powered offense alright.

Half the team is nursing injuries. We won 9 games, and with some luck, could have won 2 more. Now granted we got too conservative at times. But win bowl game and we have 10 wins. Next year looks promising.

So you want me to acknowledge what JF did when he coached outside of a power 5 conference? Ok, he did well I guess, don’t really follow those schools each week. I’m just saying so far at VT I’m not exactly blown away with his high powered offense, or lack of I should say. Last year you had a tank at QB running the ball so it didn’t show up as much as this year with a smaller more timid running QB. Surely you shake your head at the play calling each week.....I know this blame can be on the OC but ultimately it falls on the HC. Never doubted you would win last night but I busted out laughing at the we didn’t score many points line.....high powered offense alright.

Then what you are saying is you’re ignorant about what CFJ has already accomplished in his career?I was giving you the benefit of the doubt on that point by suggesting you were just being a hoo. At any rate all those who voted him COY last year and watched him take Clemson to the wire in the ACCCG disagree with you. Also, he lost more than just a QB off that team, although there was a big step down at that position which helps account for some of the dropoff this year, no? You making my case for me? As for play calling all coaches are questioned by fans who don’t know what they are talking about. I ignore it, and I’m not worried that our coaches can’t call plays. I don’t know what’s funny about my comment about not scoring a lot of points, we didn’t, but we did control the game wire to wire. We moved the ball, you didn’t, much. Our rushing game was good enough to have over 200 yards rushing to your 5 yards, and we had a 345 to 186 advantage in total yards over you, which is about what I expected. Of course I would like to see us punch it in more. We took a knee on one we could have scored cosmetic points on at the end. But I said right from the beginning of the year we weren’t as good this year, yet we still have a shot at finishing another 10 win season for the second straight year under CJF. And we made it 14 straight over you, so I’m happy.

Then what you are saying is you’re ignorant about what CFJ has already accomplished in his career?I was giving you the benefit of the doubt on that point by suggesting you were just being a hoo. At any rate all those who voted him COY last year and watched him take Clemson to the wire in the ACCCG disagree with you. Also, he lost more than just a QB off that team, although there was a big step down at that position which helps account for some of the dropoff this year, no? You making my case for me? As for play calling all coaches are questioned by fans who don’t know what they are talking about. I ignore it, and I’m not worried that our coaches can’t call plays. I don’t know what’s funny about my comment about not scoring a lot of points, we didn’t, but we did control the game wire to wire. We moved the ball, you didn’t, much. Our rushing game was good enough to have over 200 yards rushing to your 5 yards, and we had a 345 to 186 advantage in total yards over you, which is about what I expected. Of course I would like to see us punch it in more. We took a knee on one we could have scored cosmetic points on at the end. But I said right from the beginning of the year we weren’t as good this year, yet we still have a shot at finishing another 10 win season for the second straight year under CJF. And we made it 14 straight over you, so I’m happy.

Glad you happy, impressive streak......oh by the way
London - COY
Groh - COY
Doesn’t exactly prove he’s going to be great....

I thought the catch would be overturned as soon as I saw the replay and his hands were on the side of the ball not underneath. Guess this one will always be debated like Danny Coales against Mich.

London - COY
Groh - COY
Not at all, but proof not my point. My point is he’s shown the propensity to do it by impressively getting to the ACCCG in his first season, with a good offense, and he has a proven track record of doing that everywhere he goes. So I think given time to get his own recruits in place and settled into his offensive system I am confident we will have a good offense more years than not. The only real question being will he be able to raise the recruiting bar at VT again.

Not at all, but proof not my point. My point is he’s shown the propensity to do it by impressively getting to the ACCCG in his first season, with a good offense, and he has a proven track record of doing that everywhere he goes. So I think given time to get his own recruits in place and settled into his offensive system I am confident we will have a good offense more years than not. The only real question being will he be able to raise the recruiting bar at VT again.
I agree the recruiting is the big question.....only time will tell us the answer.

London - COY
Groh - COY

There have been a lot of honest comments on here about the disappointing performance of Techs offense. What we haven't seen are comments about how pitiful UVa's performance was and how Anae called an even worse game than Tech;s OC. Bronco lost control of the team at the end with Brown getting thrown out of the game. So tread lightly when you come on here and slam Fuente who is 9-3 this year and is 2-0 against the defending National tennis champions or whatever.

I thought the catch would be overturned as soon as I saw the replay and his hands were on the side of the ball not underneath. Guess this one will always be debated like Danny Coales against Mich.
Danny Coale's catch WAS a catch also. Sometimes you wonder what the replay officials were smoking when they reviewed the plays.

There have been a lot of honest comments on here about the disappointing performance of Techs offense. What we haven't seen are comments about how pitiful UVa's performance was and how Anae called an even worse game than Tech;s OC. Bronco lost control of the team at the end with Brown getting thrown out of the game. So tread lightly when you come on here and slam Fuente who is 9-3 this year and is 2-0 against the defending National tennis champions or whatever.
I agree 100%.....we need a new OC, real close as to which one is worse. UVA played better this year but also benefited from a weaker ACC, as VT did as well. JF is 9-3 with your best win against a 7-5 WVU......not much to brag on there. He also won the last 2 games because of Bud and possibly others as well. Look JF may be the next great coach but my point is so far I’m not seeing it. Jolly is correct when he says JF’s recruiting is the unknown.....if he can recruit at a high level he may be everything Hokie fans believe he is.

I agree 100%.....we need a new OC, real close as to which one is worse. UVA played better this year but also benefited from a weaker ACC, as VT did as well. JF is 9-3 with your best win against a 7-5 WVU......not much to brag on there. He also won the last 2 games because of Bud and possibly others as well. Look JF may be the next great coach but my point is so far I’m not seeing it. Jolly is correct when he says JF’s recruiting is the unknown.....if he can recruit at a high level he may be everything Hokie fans believe he is.
In my opinion, at this point, I think Bronco is a better head coach that JuFu is. When you look at what Bronco has been able to do with what he has had to do it with (almost zero talent at his disposal), winning six games is pretty freaking amazing. I hope the local kids see that. It would be great if 15 of the top 20 instate players signed with UVA and VT on an annual basis.

Reactions: 1TexCav
In my opinion, at this point, I think Bronco is a better head coach that JuFu is. When you look at what Bronco has been able to do with what he has had to do it with (almost zero talent at his disposal), winning six games is pretty freaking amazing. I hope the local kids see that. It would be great if 15 of the top 20 instate players signed with UVA and VT on an annual basis.
It’s still to early to tell who’s the better coach IMO. Recruiting is the big question mark for both of them.....so far Bronco hasn’t signed any big recruits but maybe finally going to a bowl will help him. Neither has proven they can hold the talent from the state yet. Lot of unknowns at this point for both.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT