ADVERTISEMENT

Time to increase playoff format

Otis4411

Hokie Hall of Fame
Jan 30, 2003
Look at all the 11-1 teams in the top 8 teams this year. I don't care that UNC is in it they deserve to be. I'd love to see an 8 team playoff this year. College football deserves it.

Some good teams will be left out. I am not a UNC fan, but if they beat Clemson, they should be in. I do not trust the Selection Committee at all. Last year they left out Big 12. This year they will include the Okies, who have same record as Baylor and TCU last year. Okies have played a cupcake schedule. Only beat one decent team, and now people are acting as if the Okies are Notre Dame. I am still afraid the committee will find a way to get the team from Ohio in playoffs.

Reactions: Otis4411
Well I'm no fan of UNC either but their record this year is all that matters. They beat us convincingly and I expect them to beat Clemson. It's really going to change the way things look. I just wish we had that 8 team playoff this year. Too many 1 loss teams.

I think it should go to 8 as well and should automatically include conference champions from P5 and then the 3 best teams remaining.

I have problems with Big 10 and Pac 10 champion getting in every year. If they went to 8 teams, Notre Dame would get in playoffs every year, regardless of record.

I'm not sure I would favor conf champs of P5 having that advantage. What if a P5 champ had 3 losses and you had 5 other teams regardless of conf affiliation with 11-1 records? Or say 12-0 do you put the P5 over them with 3 losses? I think it should be based on record and strength of schedule. And I'll add we need a decisive system of points for the strength of record so it's clear how many points to deduct in the ranking formula. We are going to miss out on some good games this year because of the 4 team playoff.

Notre Dame would not like my idea here because there would be no favoritism. .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT