ADVERTISEMENT

Tunnel Talk EXTRA: More attrition coming?

TimSullivan

HokieHaven.com Editor
Aug 15, 2011
Nashville, TN
I alluded to it a bit in yesterday's story, but don't anticipate that we've seen the end of attrition from the current roster as we head into the 2019 season. Indeed, there should be more in the immediate aftermath of the bowl game (or at the very least by the end of spring practice).

There are a couple specific names in mind - and some other general thoughts on how position groups will shake out - but as usual, it's not fair to those kids to put them out there until they make their intentions known. It's always best to let them make those announcements themselves, rather than jeopardize their ability to change their minds, etc. In fact, one player who had been on the "he will transfer" list during the mid-season now appears set to stick it out in Blacksburg, which may not have been an option for him if his intention of looking for a fresh start had been publicized when he first let us know.

That said, one of the recent players to move toward making a change (again, not final, but sounds like there's little chance of going back) is one that the staff is disappointed about, and it's going to cause them to alter their plans for the 2019 class, at least a bit. The staff has mixed up its recruiting travel schedule some in order to seek players to replace that position on the roster. Brad Cornelsen will be checking in on some Lone Star State prospects in the next couple days there.

In news that isn't directly related to any future attrition - but rather filling a need that's been known for quite some time - don't forget that the staff will check in on Temple commit Josh Fuga this evening. The two-star has been committed to the Owls since May, but should the staff choose to offer, they'd get serious consideration from the in-state prospect.

Bud Foster will be in the house, and I haven't confirmed with sources but do assume that headman Justin Fuente and possibly defensive line coach Charley Wiles will be there as well. I wouldn't expect a flip this evening, even if things go according to plan. However, setting up an official visit for this weekend (when the Hokies' commits will all be in town for their officials, as well) could go a long way toward earning the flip.

Junior college prospects have been and remain necessary just because a true freshman can't come in and be a major contributor at such a "grown-ass men" type of position in most cases - you need more bullets in the chamber, for sure - but I like Fuga more than you'd think given his two-star rating, and he could help VT re-build inroads to Prince William County, where the program has inexplicably struggled in recruiting in the past several years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.