ADVERTISEMENT

UNC probationed by SACS. Punishment blow one delivered.

lucustookis

All-American
Jul 7, 2007
The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools placed the Univ of North Carolina at Chapel Hill on probation for one year today. This is an academic slap in the face. It does not directly matter to UNC- Chapel Hill's sports programs, but.....IT IS a major-issue in academia. This will possibly take UNC outside of the notorious US News top 100 University rankings when they are next updated. The SACS is an academic accrediting agency and a one year probation stent is a warning shot to UNC regarding their academic mess. If UNC were to not comply and continue with academic fraud, they could lose their accreditation as a University. Certainly, they will comply and be off of probation in one year, but this is a gigantic slap in the face academically. You can bet the Professors at the school are far more worried about this then the coming athletic penalties.

Keep in mind. Research grants can be tougher to obtain. Tenure attainment is affected. This is a great cause for concern for UNCs academic staff.

Reactions: Jackcrow
I figured it would be a warning. 2 things to look at here. SACs saying there was financial aid fraud. And how will the faculty respond to being publicly flogged and put on probation. They can't be happy. As for the financial aid fraud this could open the door for the justice dept to look into Pell grant fraud. UNC is really looking stupid putting out tidbits about being happy with the NOA and other stuff. Its going to get worse.

The commission that accredits UNC-Chapel Hill has given the university 12 months probation for failing to meet seven standards, including academic integrity and a failure to monitor college sports.

“It’s the most serious sanction we have,” said Belle Wheelan, president of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.

It’s unusual for a major U.S. research university to be sanctioned by an accrediting body. More typically, SACS issues serious sanctions in cases of small, financially troubled colleges. The University of Virginia was placed on a warning in 2012 following a governance crisis in which the board ousted the president; a warning is less serious than probation.

The only step more severe than probation would be for SACS to remove a college from membership in the accrediting organization. That has happened in rare cases, and because it means a loss of accreditation and loss of eligibility for federal funds, it typically ends with the college shutting down.

Wheelan said the decision was arrived at through a series of meetings over the week at the commission’s annual summer conference. A subcommittee, followed by the commission’s executive council, and then, Thursday morning, the full board, all reviewed UNC’s case.

The main pieces of information reviewed were a report generated by UNC and one put together by the commission’s staff. No member from a North Carolina school can hear or vote on the case.

The commission cited seven of those standards in its decision about probation: overall integrity; program content; control of intercollegiate athletics; academic support services; academic freedom; faculty role in governance; and compliance with provisions in federal financial aid law.

Ruh Roh! Pell grant fraud...just like we stated a while back. And can't stop laughing at UNC-Cheat getting cited for failing to meet "Institutional Integrity" standards. Where are all of those Tarholes that were on this site touting their school as the Harvard of the South?

If unCheat doesn't start their own house cleaning, then they are locked IN on letting the Rams Club run the school. IMO, they are backed into a corner with too much Facts of their 20 plus years of cheating and now they go down fighting this or Take their punishment and clean up their mess.Until the BOV or the State steps up , look for the same BS.Pell Grant Fraud could be straw that will break their back. Too Much against them for them not to clean up their mess, maybe the professors will come foward now. Arrogance has been their motto...

Bunch of media flogging for public consumption. This will be forgotten about 10 yrs from now unless they screw up while on probation.

"Most serious sanction"...Yea right....... SACS, very much like the ncaa, has no integrity. It's just a money machine with a bark for effect and no bite. UNC's $10000 membership dues are payable June 30 and due by end of July. Convenient timing.

I've always thought the SACS was crap; they grant accreditation to short term fly by night schools with addict instructors who don't hold degrees and credits that won't transfer to even a community college.

So what did you want them to do, automatically pull their accreditation based on the athletic programs being shady and punish everyone there including regular students that actually work/worked hard to get their degrees? UNC as much as I dislike it, isn't a fly night college like you say.

Bunch of media flogging for public consumption. This will be forgotten about 10 yrs from now unless they screw up while on probation.

"Most serious sanction"...Yea right....... SACS, very much like the ncaa, has no integrity. It's just a money machine with a bark for effect and no bite. UNC's $10000 membership dues are payable June 30 and due by end of July. Convenient timing.

I've always thought the SACS was crap; they grant accreditation to short term fly by night schools with addict instructors who don't hold degrees and credits that won't transfer to even a community college.
So

Won't be totally forgotten. "The Carolina Way" will forever be a punch line.

So what did you want them to do, automatically pull their accreditation based on the athletic programs being shady and punish everyone there including regular students that actually work/worked hard to get their degrees? UNC as much as I dislike it, isn't a fly night college like you say.
I didn't say UNC was a fly by night college. You didn't get it.

And what do regular students "that work hard" even have to do with it? That's irrelevant. A judge won't give you a break because your mother is innocent, so that she doesn't suffer. There is no punishment here, and there was never going to be any except for the stigma as Smitty said. But they'll just use this to say 10 yrs from now that their academics are even tougher because of the scandal.

And what do regular students "that work hard" even have to do with it? That's irrelevant. A judge won't give you a break because your mother is innocent, so that she doesn't suffer. There is no punishment here, and there was never going to be any except for the stigma as Smitty said. But they'll just use this to say 10 yrs from now that their academics are even tougher because of the scandal.

Exactly. I looked at one of their boards today and of course there is nothing about the scandal, but there is a thread about Yulee committing to Bama, and grades being an issue. They are hopeful he can get his grades in line so he can measure up to UNC standards and flip to them.

Right NOW, "The Carolina Way" , is what is keeping them from self-punishment and correcting their way of doing business . How Long, as long as they want too. Nobody in the State Gov. in NC cares how dirty they have been, they are "The Carolina Way " .IMHO, Suits and Pell Grants will take them down to a level where they understand Fair Play... Carry On.

At least they get to hang another Banner.

CHUxR4eXAAE-BTs.jpg

Those thinking the NCAA will do nothing should watch closely.

Patience guys. It's taken 5 years to get to this point. Lawsuits are still pending, the Feds are looking at Pell Grant fraud, and the NCAA punishment haas yet to be handed out. While the SACS probation does not look tough on the surface, it will be very tough on them behind the scenes. JC transfers... special admits... special classes... clustering... tutors... all of this and more will be under the microscope with SACS. One slip up and sayanor.

The playing field is now level. The "Carolina Way" is dead. And yet a vigilant Pack of Wolves is still on the trail uncovering even more of UNC's dirt they thought they had swept under the rug.

Patience guys. It's taken 5 years to get to this point. Lawsuits are still pending, the Feds are looking at Pell Grant fraud, and the NCAA punishment haas yet to be handed out. While the SACS probation does not look tough on the surface, it will be very tough on them behind the scenes. JC transfers... special admits... special classes... clustering... tutors... all of this and more will be under the microscope with SACS. One slip up and sayanor.

The playing field is now level. The "Carolina Way" is dead. And yet a vigilant Pack of Wolves is still on the trail uncovering even more of UNC's dirt they thought they had swept under the rug.

I wish you the best of luck in uncovering more muck at UNC but not for a minute do I believe that the NCAA is doing anything but looking for loopholes to give UNC the easiest way out of a tight situation. I believe that they have worked with UNC to this end already. It's why the charges listed concentrated on the women's BB team. Punishment coming ,yes, but not befitting the crime.

Reactions: Salemite

You are wrong on this one to the effect that you are minimizing the seriousness of the situation. Whether you like the SACS or not (by the way, neither do I care for them much) is irrelevant. They do have power. The seriousness of the situation rests in the areas as I pointed out. Academic Research Grants, Tuition Assistance Grants for Graduate (PhD Students), etc. This is a HUGE, absolutely HUGE factor and the SACS placing a school on probation certainly has a direct and immediate effect in the ability to obtain research grants. At least, in some situations it does. Much of the U.S News Rankings for Schools is based on research prowess. If you are a federal government authority or state government authority with the power to give a yes or no on research money to school on academic probation, you are going to think twice about doing so in some situations. This will force much of UNC's researchers and grant writers to attain private funds and that is not easy to do. Like I wrote, it's a major slap in the face to UNC's academic prowess and will carry weight for many years. I also pointed out in the very first post of the thread that..........as far as athletic attachment and the SACS probation status for UNC, it is somewhat meaningless. Smitty, LMAO, went to a football board, LMAO for UNC and was concerned as to whether the fans were talking about it. That's the wrong place to look. I would love to be a fly on the wall in the room with some of the academic professors as they are shuffling through their emails, or how they are getting letters, calls, and emails from research IRB (Institutional Review Boards) about how they have to amend their research proposals for the millions they are trying to obtain in grant money to show how they can be trusted due to the recent SACS sanctions.

I wish you the best of luck in uncovering more muck at UNC but not for a minute do I believe that the NCAA is doing anything but looking for loopholes to give UNC the easiest way out of a tight situation. I believe that they have worked with UNC to this end already. It's why the charges listed concentrated on the women's BB team. Punishment coming ,yes, but not befitting the crime.

lol you do realize UNC redacted mens basketball from the NOA they released right? The NCAA knows they can't get away with saying this mess was setup for womens basketball. Just watch. ;)

You are wrong on this one to the effect that you are minimizing the seriousness of the situation. Whether you like the SACS or not (by the way, neither do I care for them much) is irrelevant. They do have power. The seriousness of the situation rests in the areas as I pointed out. Academic Research Grants, Tuition Assistance Grants for Graduate (PhD Students), etc. This is a HUGE, absolutely HUGE factor and the SACS placing a school on probation certainly has a direct and immediate effect in the ability to obtain research grants. At least, in some situations it does. Much of the U.S News Rankings for Schools is based on research prowess. If you are a federal government authority or state government authority with the power to give a yes or no on research money to school on academic probation, you are going to think twice about doing so in some situations. This will force much of UNC's researchers and grant writers to attain private funds and that is not easy to do. Like I wrote, it's a major slap in the face to UNC's academic prowess and will carry weight for many years. I also pointed out in the very first post of the thread that..........as far as athletic attachment and the SACS probation status for UNC, it is somewhat meaningless. Smitty, LMAO, went to a football board, LMAO for UNC and was concerned as to whether the fans were talking about it. That's the wrong place to look. I would love to be a fly on the wall in the room with some of the academic professors as they are shuffling through their emails, or how they are getting letters, calls, and emails from research IRB (Institutional Review Boards) about how they have to amend their research proposals for the millions they are trying to obtain in grant money to show how they can be trusted due to the recent SACS sanctions.

I believe they got off light.

"Most serious sanction" = Probation

That tells me all I need to know. If you choose to believe that there hasn't been some type of damage control collusion between teams of brainstorming attorneys and pr pros from both sides for the past year....then God bless you.

This scandal never was about academics. It was about cheating to gain an upper hand in big money sports. The other 99% of their students were still receiving a high quality education, just like they have for decades, excepting the frats' strong-arming conspirators for access to the free credits. I think you've sensationalized the effects of this probation. These professors and those dotgov bureaucrats they're lobbying know that UNC is and always has been and will continue to be a prestigious institution. They'll just have a black mark now that will give them credibility in the future when they can say their academics are even tougher because of the scandal and subsequent crackdown.

Of course there will be some residual effect, but I believe it will be very minimal and will dissipate quickly. Loss of just one scholarship from women's bball would be more devastating than this probation.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article24027001.html Mr. Dan Kanes latest '3) Men’s basketball is not out of the woods.

The NCAA’s notice doesn’t hit UNC with academic fraud, but it is defining “special arrangements” counselors used to enroll athletes in the bogus classes as impermissible benefits. The NCAA has cited these benefits as a major violation; in past cases they have brought heavy penalties.

The men’s basketball team appears to be tied to roughly 40 exhibits, judging by the academic support staff identified in them. Nearly all of the emails speak to athletes’ enrollments in AFAM classes and, in some cases, the grades they received "

I believe they got off light.

"Most serious sanction" = Probation

That tells me all I need to know. If you choose to believe that there hasn't been some type of damage control collusion between teams of brainstorming attorneys and pr pros from both sides for the past year....then God bless you.

This scandal never was about academics. It was about cheating to gain an upper hand in big money sports. The other 99% of their students were still receiving a high quality education, just like they have for decades, excepting the frats' strong-arming conspirators for access to the free credits. I think you've sensationalized the effects of this probation. These professors and those dotgov bureaucrats they're lobbying know that UNC is and always has been and will continue to be a prestigious institution. They'll just have a black mark now that will give them credibility in the future when they can say their academics are even tougher because of the scandal and subsequent crackdown.

Of course there will be some residual effect, but I believe it will be very minimal and will dissipate quickly. Loss of just one scholarship from women's bball would be more devastating than this probation.

We will have to agree to disagree. I feel you are trying to make an athletic argument to downplay the academic argument. I clearly pointed out that they will get off fairly lightly in the athletic area which is apples and oranges with academics. The two are not the same. Academically, they are in a mess and probation by an academic accrediting organization has serious effects in the realm of academia.

Reactions: SunnyBeachWave
lol you do realize UNC redacted mens basketball from the NOA they released right? The NCAA knows they can't get away with saying this mess was setup for womens basketball. Just watch. ;)
Yes I do. My trust in the NCAA based on their history leads me to a position of believing they are capable of working to find the "What is the minimum we can do to UNC that will be acceptable " . If this doesn't happen , then I will be the first in line to say :
Wow, I'm shocked! :D
I'm very pleased:)
There is hope for us all:p

We will have to agree to disagree. I feel you are trying to make an athletic argument to downplay the academic argument. I clearly pointed out that they will get off fairly lightly in the athletic area which is apples and oranges with academics. The two are not the same. Academically, they are in a mess and probation by an academic accrediting organization has serious effects in the realm of academia.

I agree to be right.
I was wrong one time though. I think it was 1993.

Call IT what you want But UNCHEAT will get a Good Dose of punishment this Time. The NCAA will be forced to do the right thing because their A$$ is in the Spotlight and their Future is at Stake . I will stick with that because Too Much is on the Line...carry on .

Reactions: 1bburgfan
Call IT what you want But UNCHEAT will get a Good Dose of punishment this Time. The NCAA will be forced to do the right thing because their A$$ is in the Spotlight and their Future is at Stake . I will stick with that because Too Much is on the Line...carry on .
I'm hoping like hell brother.

One thing I don't understand. If the NCAA is going to punish UNC for all their misdeeds, and maybe not punish their athletic programs, what can they do that will have any effect on their revenue sports? Also, wasn't UNC's desire to have athletes playing revenue sports( that were either unqualified or disinterested in academic achievement) that caused their lying,cheating, and stealing to take place?
Punishing their AD without restricting their programs doesn't seem like it will accomplish anything.

Those blue bellys are working hard to throw womens basketball under the bus and save mens basketball. I guess their pr firm has told them to keep saying it was womens basketball and the media outlets are helping them perpetuate this lie. Hopefully if the NCAA tries to sell this gag we have enough info and support to get it out what is going on.

SunnyBeachWave I have been involved in SACS accreditation before please trust me when I say this is a huge deal. This doesn't just make athletics look bad but it puts a serious black eye on the ENTIRE school and should make some more educators come forward because it can have an impact on them. They are also the FIRST research university ever put on probation in a year they could receive another year probation if they don't get their ducks in a row. The only other University on probation besides them is SC State I believe. Most schools that go on probation is for financial reasons but unc got put on probation for academic fraud and lying to them during this initial visit. I can assure you that there are several people that is still going over Everything with a fine tooth comb. This can effect recruiting because every commit will be scrutinized with a fine tooth comb also SACS will have a team of people on campus that will be making sure every eye is dotted and every T is crossed. They can pop up in any class at anytime or audit any class they wish. I don't know what the NCAA will do but they have a lot of eyes on them from many different universities.

SunnyBeachWave I have been involved in SACS accreditation before please trust me when I say this is a huge deal. This doesn't just make athletics look bad but it puts a serious black eye on the ENTIRE school and should make some more educators come forward because it can have an impact on them. They are also the FIRST research university ever put on probation in a year they could receive another year probation if they don't get their ducks in a row. The only other University on probation besides them is SC State I believe. Most schools that go on probation is for financial reasons but unc got put on probation for academic fraud and lying to them during this initial visit. I can assure you that there are several people that is still going over Everything with a fine tooth comb. This can effect recruiting because every commit will be scrutinized with a fine tooth comb also SACS will have a team of people on campus that will be making sure every eye is dotted and every T is crossed. They can pop up in any class at anytime or audit any class they wish. I don't know what the NCAA will do but they have a lot of eyes on them from many different universities.

Ummm.......ok?

Forgive me if I'm struggling to take your post seriously, and hypothetically speaking, a dorm infestation of stinkbugs "could" affect recruiting.

And by the way, your IP is awful familiar. :rolleyes:

I was just trying to explain my involvement with SACS in the past even though it wasn't on college level they are pretty tough. The recruiting statement was about how closely SACS will monitor athletic admissions and monitoring their eligibility once they arrive on campus. This is only my second post here on your site but if It is the Otis I am thinking about he should remember me from the Wolves Den. I am from Eden NC but living temporarily in Chatham Co unfortunately near unc. I don't know how you feel about MOC but my son was an equipment Mgr. for him when he was at State and we are pretty good friends. Have a lot of friends that are Hokie fans and I definitely pull for them in your Division. SACS I feel will stay on top of the things but as far as the NCAA I am hoping they will do THEIR JOB. Like I said in previous post they are first ever research university put on probation and for academic/athletic fraud not financial problems like most universities get put on probation for. By the way I like how you run your site.

I was just trying to explain my involvement with SACS in the past even though it wasn't on college level they are pretty tough. The recruiting statement was about how closely SACS will monitor athletic admissions and monitoring their eligibility once they arrive on campus. This is only my second post here on your site but if It is the Otis I am thinking about he should remember me from the Wolves Den. I am from Eden NC but living temporarily in Chatham Co unfortunately near unc. I don't know how you feel about MOC but my son was an equipment Mgr. for him when he was at State and we are pretty good friends. Have a lot of friends that are Hokie fans and I definitely pull for them in your Division. SACS I feel will stay on top of the things but as far as the NCAA I am hoping they will do THEIR JOB. Like I said in previous post they are first ever research university put on probation and for academic/athletic fraud not financial problems like most universities get put on probation for. By the way I like how you run your site.

Well, any friend of Otis' is a friend of mine. This is an ag-friendly forum, but it isn't my site. I'm just deputized to pursue and contain rogue tarheels, eers and other varmints that get loose now and then. I never was a big O'Cain fan but I do give credit where due and I personally feel he did an awesome job with TT's professional development at VT. TT is going to be a star when he earns the reins in Buffalo.

Reactions: daddy wolf
They picked up two more commitments yesterday.

They gave one of the recruits "their word" that none of the NCAA stuff will affect football. LOL... Gonna be real fun to watch how the lying of Fedora/staff bites them in the azz!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT